• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1986 Ford F-150 Engine Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Ford F-150 Engine Cleaning

I figured since the outside was clean, I should work on the engine a bit. I didn't go all out since I just wanted to get the initial cleaning done, and you will see what I mean.

Here it is uncleaned. I have no idea the last time it was ever actually cleaned.

I know, right!?

The Process:
    1. Covered the Air Filter with a plastic bag.
    2. Sprayed engine with Gunk Heavy Duty Degreaser.
    3. Scrubbed with a brush.
    4. Rinsed.
    5. Sprayed the underside of the hood with Simple Green diluted for Heavy Duty cleaning.
    6. Scrubbed with a brush.
    7. Sprayed the engine with Simple Green and scrubbed some more.
    8. Rinsed.
    9. Started engine and ran for about 5-10 minutes.
    10. Sprayed engine bay down liberally with Water Based Dressing.
    11. Let it sit for about 30 minutes.
    12. Took after pictures.
    13. Done

Now for the after pictures. The underside of the hood was extremely dirty as you can see. When I was scrubbing it, everything turned brown so I didn't have an exact idea where I had or had not scrubbed. I will be getting that next time around since, for the most part, I will be able to tell now where I have or have not gotten yet. All in all, I think it came out pretty decent. You will see the dressing running in places in the afters too, it hadn't fully dried yet, but I had to leave so I wanted to get the pictures beforehand.

I looked under the hood the other day just to check everything and noticed color. Wires and other pieces were actually colored and not just all "dirt brown," and all of the plastic was black!

Next big project is to go through all of the wiring, tubing, etc. and get it all cleaned up and organized.

Re: 1986 Ford F-150 Engine Cleaning

Hey Tyler I think it will end up great!
    Nice improvement by the way

Comment

The hood looks rusty...good job on making it clean again though.

Comment

Tyler, that is a dramatic improvement. Way to go.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

that is a dramatic improvement, on the older cars, esp one that didnt have engine bay cleanings, they are alot harder to get clean, because of all the exposed wiring
          2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Thanks guys! I figured some on here would like seeing it, even thought it isn't anything spectacular! As for that rusty looking part of the hood, it isn't rust, but some kind paint (looks like that rust-converter primer) underneath the brown paint.

Comment

Wow!

Looks a lot better now!
              Scott

Comment

Definitley an improvement, nice job man. I remember trying to clean my '88 MR2s engine bay and pretty much giving up. All the scrubbing and dressings in the world can't make rust, dried out plastics, and stained metals look good. LOL
                --2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');