• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back plate for DA use as a sander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back plate for DA use as a sander?

I'm thinking I'm going to try to use my G100 to finish up a few spots on my hard wood floor before I stain. Any suggestions as to a backing plate to use? I don't really have time to order one online so if I could get it local that would be great. Can I just use the same one I use for detailing? I'm thinking that I would want something with a bit of foam on it for cushion but maybe not.

Or if this is just a dumb idea all together I'll buy a belt sander.
    Scott

Re: Back plate for DA use as a sander?

The 7336 that I have came with a flat backing plate that uses stick on sanding disks.

I'm almost positive I saw a plate similar to the one that came with the PC at Lowe's in the power tool section. It was a Gatorgrit brand of sorts that came in a few sizes.

Either way, the PC works great for sanding projects.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Thanks Chris! We don't have a Lowes but maybe I'll run to Home Depot and look tonight.

I've been trying to use my little 5" palm sander but I need something with a bit more bite for a few spots.
      Scott

Comment

You've probably already read this thread...

Refinishing an old desk?

Don't know if I would ever tackle a floor using a DA Polisher...

Before
        It's on end in this picture but I think it's standing about 7' tall.

Here's a close up of a stained area from something that was leaking out of a jug?

After

Taped-off and sanded with 220 using my G100 (Took all the work out of it). There were some pretty bad stains in one area that I couldn't sand all the way out...

2-Coats of MINWAX Red Mahogany 225

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey thanks Mike! That thread is new to me.

I'm not doing the whole floor, just touch ups. I rented a floor sander and did it all with 36 grit and finished with 80 grit. The floor sander couldn't get the corners. Also there are a few spots where I didn't work out the 36 grit marks so I want to finish those down before staining. This has turned into a much bigger job than I ever thought it would be. I could post the photos and do a write up now that I will have used the G100. lol
          Scott

Comment

I gave it a try last night with the backing plate I have (think it's the W67DA). It didn't seem to work the best, it was a bit hard to control since I couldn't keep it perfectly flat on the floor. I went to the power tool store at lunch today and picked up a 5" Porter Cable adhesive backing plate and 50 pack of paper. It seems to have a bit more give than the backing plate I was using. It was the same backing plate that was on the PC they had on display. I'll give that a go tonight and see what happens.

I also checked Harbor Freight and they have a belt sander for about $5 more than the backing plate I bought. lol Hmmmm
            Scott

Comment

PC makes a hook and loop backing plate as well as the PSA backing plate. Any PC dealer should carry them although you may have better luck at an actual lumber yard or tool store rather than a home improvement center.

FYI: Beware of cheap belt sanders. Belt sanders remove a lot of material VERY fast. The cheap belt sanders don't usually have a flat sole plate which means by the time you smooth the area your working on, you've sanded a groove in another area. Then you end up chasing a groove around the floor as your leveling the previous groove. It's entertaining to watch, but no fun at all to participate in.

Have fun!
              Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');