• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NXT 2.0 vs. Poorboys Wheel Sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NXT 2.0 vs. Poorboys Wheel Sealant

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
    ***UPDATE***

Nothing earth shattering here, just a quick update about my little NXT 2.0 vs. Poorboys experiment.

As I wrote in my original post, PB's on the passenger side, NXT 2.0 on the driver's side. So, I washed [just] my wheels and tires this weekend and I wanted to report on something which surprised me.

I'm out (at least) three times a week cleaning my wheels. Usually I do it the lazy man's way and instead of washing them, I just get some QD, spray them down and wipe them. Usually, I ONLY do this to the front wheels as the back are not nearly as problematic.

So, this weekend I went at them with full garden house and NXT Wash. I apologize in advance for not taking pics, so you'll just have to take me at my word.

I started on the front driver's side. Once I sprayed the water, brake dust started to come off and I noticed immediate beading. Nice, I thought! Obviously the NXT was holding up pretty well. (Admitedly, I was a bit surprised).

Next, I moved to the front passenger side (Poorboys). Brake dust started to come off (not as much as the other side) but there was NO beading at all. A HUGE difference! I am 100% convinced there was NO PB's wheel sealant left on that wheel. Very disappointing, I must say.

Third I went to the rear wheel on the passenger side (another Poorboys wheel). It didn't have a lot of brake dust so it was easy to clean and when the water hit it, it started to bead, the same as the NXT 2.0 side. This confirmed to me there was nothing left on the front passenger wheel.

I moved to the rear driver wheel (NXT 2.0) and it was beading very well.

It is almost as though the PBWS was removed from the front passenger wheel, on account of repeated cleaning + probably the high heat. Amazingly, the NXT 2.0 is still holding up. A clear winner in my litte (un)scientific experiment.
    I have learned two things:

1) Do not buy a dedicated wheel wax or sealant because they are no different from normal products and may offer inferior performance.

2) Poorboy's make some great products, and some not so great ones. Their compounds are intended for the beginner, but they have some fantastic tire and rubber/vinyl gloss products. They also have a wax I like called "Natty's Blue" which looks fantastic but has durability in the 1-2 week range.

All in all, they're OK but you can certainly find better.
    We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

Guess I'm surprised no one mentioned Quik Wheel Detailer. This stuff leaves the wheels very slick. Slicker than NXT 2.0 and does make washing brake dust off the wheels much easier.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Holden_Caulfield04 View Post
        I have learned two things:1) Do not buy a dedicated wheel wax or sealant because they are no different from normal products and may offer inferior performance.
        I'm not the type to get sucked into hype, but I'll admit that I did on this occasion.

2) Poorboy's make some great products, and some not so great ones. Their compounds are intended for the beginner, but they have some fantastic tire and rubber/vinyl gloss products. They also have a wax I like called "Natty's Blue" which looks fantastic but has durability in the 1-2 week range.

All in all, they're OK but you can certainly find better.
        This stuff is certainly below average but when I look at the company in total, I won't be buying anything from them in the future. Tough to find, expensive to ship, hard to apply and mediocre results. That's just my experience with this one product, but I've been tainted.
        ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

I know this is off point with regards to the comparison, but I agree with Michael Stoops. Get the ceramic pads and your brake dust problems will disappear.
          Huh....that didn't work.

Comment

So much so, in fact that Lexus offers a FREE change of brake pads (to a ceramic pad) if you request it.
            For the ceramic pads, if say I bought it from one dealership but have since moved to another city can I still get a free change to ceramic?

The entire "caliper painting session" took about 6 hours
            On another note, care to post a guide on how to paint calipers? Did you remove the calipers or did you paint with the calipers still on the Lexus?

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Stoops View Post

You mentioned Lexus offering a free swap to ceramic pads if you so choose, and also that you only have 550 miles on the car (as of a few weeks ago) - based on this I'd take them up on the offer. At that low mileage there should be no need to turn the rotors and your brake dust will be significantly reduced, almost to the point of elimination. I've put ceramic pads on a car that produced an insane amount of brake dust (Mercedes Benz variant) and the ceramics have all but eliminated the dusting. Braking performance has not changed noticeably, even during some heavy duty track day sessions.

Do the pad swap and then use NXT Tech Wax on the wheels and they'll be even easier to clean, and you won't have to deal with them so often.
                Ceramics are the way to go if you want low brake dusting. Weve got two Jeeps that came with ceramics(bought new) and they have basically zero dusting.

Another Jeep just had what I believe is ceramic pads put on but the rear drums are kinda loud(they squeak when first applied). Im not sure if he only used ceramics on the front and something else on the rear or what, the mechanic we used just told me he used low dusting pads. This is really the only time I let something work on a vehicle but my dad did it when I wasnt looking.

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
                Guess I'm surprised no one mentioned Quik Wheel Detailer. This stuff leaves the wheels very slick. Slicker than NXT 2.0 and does make washing brake dust off the wheels much easier.
                Im also surprised. This is one product I figured would take off but it has not. I bought a bottle just so I could say I have it(kinda like a collection) but Ive not used it.

Originally posted by IWantaTurbo View Post

On another note, care to post a guide on how to paint calipers? Did you remove the calipers or did you paint with the calipers still on the Lexus?
                I bought a duplicolor caliper painting kit from autozone. I think the one close to home had black, red, and yellow. I just wanted them to look good so I got black.

To paint them, I took the caliper off its mount but left the brake line on so I wouldnt need to bleed the brakes. I made sure to tie it up so the weight of the caliper wasnt on the brake line(this is bad). It came with paint, a small brush, and a can of brake cleaner, it worked out great.
                Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

A guy on an IS forum posted a step by step for caliper painting which I followed with good success. I got the caliper paint from tire rack and I got some Lexus caliper stickers on e-bay.

Comment

The ceramic pads actually keep your wheels color under braking if I'm not mistaken. I had a malibu and when I would break hard to get off the express way the car would shake a bit. I was told the orginal pads actually heated up too much. Once i switch out I didn't have the shake at all coming off the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by EAT HEMI View Post
                      I have had great success with #21 on wheels, and personally know 2 others (one is a professional detailer).

It doesn't repel brake dust, just makes the wheels a lot easier to clean...

I have found this to be true as well.

I have used the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax on wheels and noticed that they were much easier to clean the brake dust off.

Comment

You know, I have always taken exception to the "wheel wax" idea, because if you have a product that's so great on wheels, wouldn't it also be great on the rest of the car? So I have always felt that this is just a marketing approach to get you to buy more than one wax (like us "car crazy" guys need an excuse to buy more than one wax ?). However, there is one thing that makes me think that this whole review is BOGUS, and that's this statement:

"PWS comes in a small tub and is bright pink in color. It has a very lousy smell to it (almost like gas or oil or some bad chemical) and is a paste like consistency. "

Oh come on! I can't take anything here seriously after that...PWS is like the best smelling product there is after NXT...it's Jolly Rancher Watermelon in a jar!

All kidding aside, since you guys were talking low-dust pads, I have to recommend the Akebono Pro-Act ceramic, I put them on my friend's car and there is almost zero dust now.

Comment

Personally, I don't rate NXT Tech Wax and after trying version 2.0, I'm not going to be using it again. I know that's controversial and I know that is probably an unpopular thing to say on this forum, but that's my experience of the product and it is not without trying again and again and refining technique from advice here.

I just do not get on with it and won't use it on my paint, which does not preclude it from being used on wheels though. I doubt I will because (a) I just don't like the product and (b) I already have a couple of product that I can rely on to simply have brake dust slide off with merely a sprinkle from a watering can: Chemical Guys Jetseal, especially and less so, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

I, too, have tried all manner of wheel sealants after initially trying Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection a good number of years ago and never found them to actually "work". I was led to believe that brake dust would just slide off with a hosepipe and often it just didn't - with Chemical Guys Jetseal, it does ... for me.

I think the problem with wheels and particularly anything you put on wheels is that brake dust is pretty evil stuff - I would imagine that after a contact wash with shampoo and a mitten, the dust would remove any underlying product. As for negative charging and repelling dust, well ... that's just marketing. Of course there is no such product that can to keep wheels clean by repelling dust, whatever high standards any detailing company may have for their products, just as there is no wax that does that for paint ... that's why there are QDs and why we have to wash our cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
                            PWS is like the best smelling product there is after NXT...it's Jolly Rancher Watermelon in a jar!
                            LOL. Actually I added the line about the smell in my review because I had seen MANY people write about how good it smelled and had to comment upon it. I really think it smells HORRENDOUS, but that is just one nose.

In any event, I shipped my stuff to another MOL member who said he would comment upon my findings and maybe disagree if he likes the stuff.

Comment

LOL. Actually I added the line about the smell in my review because I had seen MANY people write about how good it smelled and had to comment upon it. I really think it smells HORRENDOUS, but that is just one nose.
                              I won my jar several years ago, so perhaps it doesn't smell as good as it used to.

Comment

I will echo the positive comments about Quick Wheel Detailer. It really helps keep well maintained wheels clean between washings. I got it as part of that survey gift earlier in the summer, and I must admit that it seemed like an overkill product. After using it, however, I think it will remain part of my arsenal. In the end I think wheels really illustrate how frequent care is easy care.

Thanks for taking the time to share your findings!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');