• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to use detailing clay video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How To Claying Videos

I hope this question doesn't sound dumb but once the contaminents are embedded in the clay can the contaminents scratch while continuing to clay.

Also that was e great video. I never had an accurate idea what the clay was for. I am just an average Joe as far as car care but this site is starting to get me hooked.

Comment

awesome vid. would defiantly like to see more vids like this one. very helpful

Comment

We made this one for Meguiar's Costa Rica.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOr-oHwxQPc

cheers,

Alex
        Mandarina Racing

Comment

Originally posted by MandarinaRacing View Post
          We made this one for Meguiar's Costa Rica.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

cheers,

Alex
          thx for the video man
          Meguiar's Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by davidw View Post
            I hope this question doesn't sound dumb but once the contaminents are embedded in the clay can the contaminents scratch while continuing to clay.

Also that was e great video. I never had an accurate idea what the clay was for. I am just an average Joe as far as car care but this site is starting to get me hooked.
            I was thinking the same thing but you were brave enough to ask it. I see that the clay in the video picked up the surface debris but;

1) Wont the debris scratch the car?

2) How much clay would you use to do an entire car?

Comment

Re: How to use detailing clay video

i purchased detail clay [aggressive] c-2100
              i am pretty good at detailing,but never used the clay!
              my car has little black dots all over it,told they were mulch spores!?
              if you pick it with your figernail they come off but leave a spot still.
              i understand how to,but will it work on these annoying little black spots?
              or do you think using a polisher with a mild compound would be better?just trying to make this as easy and safe as possible, thank you , scott

Comment

These spots are usually known as "rail dust". They are picked up almost anywhere, road debris, sand, pollution etc. etc. The term originally comes from when many autos were transported by train & picked up particles from the tracks. I would stay away from anything more agressive than regular clay off the shelf, i.e. Meguiar's, Mother's etc. The key is lubrication such as Showtime, lots of it. I clay my car twice a year & am more than impressed by the results. Smoother, literally than a baby's behind.

Comment

i just had a quick question..i clay my car frequently when i want to get a good polish and wax job in...but i was little curious..lets say i dont have any quick detailer to use as lubrication..how does soapy water work ? or perhaps water itself...i like to clay my car after washing and using the leftover rinse water as lubrication...or how about putting some soapy water in a bottle and spraying it and using that as lubricaiton ?
                  Addicted

Comment

speed3blackmica: Firstly it has been my experience that it really is not necessary to clay more than twice a year, unless you really do get a LOT of sticky junk (i.e. rail dust) on your vehicle. I suspect that in New Jersey you have a similar situation to what we have here in Ontario. Secondly, again from experience, wash, clay, wash and then go through the wax process It sounds like a lot of extra washing but it is worth it. Thirdly I don't think water is a good lubricant (too much surface tension), never tried soapy water, but I ALWAYS use something like SHOWTIME. I really have had the greatest success with it. On a slightly different note; every day, providing your vehicle is just dusty, go over it quickly with a CALIFORNIA DUSTER (five minutes or less) and then a quick spritz with SHOWTIME. Results are awesome. - IAN

Comment

thanks i appreciate your input...i do wash clay and wash again..it is worth it...i was thinking instead of using a quick detailer, perhaps a foam gun ? i do have one...so id be washing the car..rinsing it down..and then using the foam gun to foam it up good and use the foamy soap as a lubricant...i mean isnt the whole purpose of high quality car washes like gold class and Nxt to give superior lubricity ? get what i mean ?
                      Addicted

Comment

The problem with using soapy water is that 1) it's not as good as a QD and 2) it's going to break down the clay.

Something like Last Touch is $18 for a gallon and it can be dulited 1:1 to use as with clay. So that is about $9 gallon. I'd guess and say 4 clay applications in a gallon. Point is, it's much better then soapy water and it's very inexpensive.

Comment

im just finding a cheaper way to clay the car as you can run out of quick detailer quickly if your claying the whole car
                          Addicted

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzy1 View Post
                            I was thinking the same thing but you were brave enough to ask it. I see that the clay in the video picked up the surface debris but;

1) Wont the debris scratch the car?

2) How much clay would you use to do an entire car?
                            I know this is an old post but did not notice a reply to it and I too was wondering about the same thing.
                            --Aaron Rouse http://www.happyhacker.com/

2009 335d - Daily driven "rod knocker"
                            2003 F250 PSD - Backup "rod knocker"
                            1985 300SD - Money pit "rod knocker"

Comment

As a rule, the debris will not scratch the car (miracles of science I guess). The key is to keep molding it in your hand to keep it pliable. When it starts to turn brown then you can dump it. I use one bar over a season which I believe, even here in Canada with its inflated prices, is a good deal. The key here is once you have used it the first time, put it in a baggie, spray in some QD to keep it damp & seal.

Comment

Originally posted by gooolist
                                The video is very good and cool, that video saying the clay is an abrasive, but a clay with proper lubrication will not abrasive.
                                The clay does not change based on what lubricant is used. Either way the clay _is_ abrasive... this is why it can do what it does. The point in mentioning that is to let people know that without proper lubrication clay _can_ damage paint.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');