• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to use detailing clay video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use detailing clay video

How to use detailing clay video

How to clay bar a vehicle. Hosted by Mike Phillips of Meguiar's.For the clay bar used in this video go here: http://goo.gl/cHLwW6

Meguiar's Doctor

Re: How To Claying Videos

that video is awesome and to the point!!
    30th ann 97 camaro z28/ss white on white leather. 02 ss rims and spoiler, flowmasters and its a 6 speed!! soon huggar stripes!!

Comment

Originally posted by brianswimmer23 View Post
      that video is awesome and to the point!!
      Lol
      Welcome To MOL Brian!
      Meguiar's Doctor

Comment

Great video! It should be pointed it out that clay is an abrasive, but with proper lubrication it will not be abrasive to the paint, just the embedded contaminants.
        We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

It is actually that youtube profile that brought me to this site. I was searching for wetsanding videos and came across maximus's videos of the meguiars workshop 1 - 5. I would suggest to any new detail to watch all of the videos that maximus has posted.

I am going to start creating small how to videos and posting footage from cars shows and any other car related events more often. I have just purchased a video camera and some video editing software so keep an eye out for more to come.
          Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Holden_Caulfield04 View Post
            Great video! It should be pointed it out that clay is an abrasive, but with proper lubrication it will not be abrasive to the paint, just the embedded contaminants.
            Technically, detailing clay is a combination of ingredients and one of those ingredients is a type of abrasive. The clay itself is a polymer carrying agent to contain the abrasives. There are different grades of levels of abrasive power and quantity in different types of clay which determines how aggressive or non-aggressive the clay is when used on automotive paints.

An aggressive clay can cause what we call clay haze which is another way of saying clay scratches or clay scratching. This is why Meguiar's doesn't offer our Aggressive Clay to the Consumer or Enthusiast market but instead offers a dramatically much less aggressive clay formula which is found in our Smooth Surface Clay Kit.

Keep in mind that our Aggressive Clay is in the Professional Line and in most cases if a Professional in the Professional side of our industry is using an aggressive clay it's to remove some sort of contaminant quickly and efficiently and after claying they are going to use a rotary buffer on the paint thus any clay haze left behind by an aggressive clay is the least of their worries as the rotary buffer step will remove any hazing left by the clay.

The professional side of our industry is made up of people that work in the refinishing industry, (environments where fresh paint is sprayed), or the detailing industry, (environments where supposedly trained people are performing corrective procedures to paint).

Generally speaking both of these industries are production oriented and this means they want products where the emphasis is on speed.

Correctly used with a lubricant fine and mild grades of clay don't scratch paint.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              Technically, detailing clay is a combination of ingredients and one of those ingredients is a type of abrasive. The clay itself is a polymer carrying agent to contain the abrasives. There are different grades of levels of abrasive power and quantity in different types of clay which determines how aggressive or non-aggressive the clay is when used on automotive paints.

An aggressive clay can cause what we call clay haze which is another way of saying clay scratches or clay scratching. This is why Meguiar's doesn't offer our Aggressive Clay to the Consumer or Enthusiast market but instead offers a dramatically much less aggressive clay formula which is found in our Smooth Surface Clay Kit.

Keep in mind that our Aggressive Clay is in the Professional Line and in most cases if a Professional in the Professional side of our industry is using an aggressive clay it's to remove some sort of contaminant quickly and efficiently and after claying they are going to use a rotary buffer on the paint thus any clay haze left behind by an aggressive clay is the least of their worries as the rotary buffer step will remove any hazing left by the clay.

The professional side of our industry is made up of people that work in the refinishing industry, (environments where fresh paint is sprayed), or the detailing industry, (environments where supposedly trained people are performing corrective procedures to paint).

Generally speaking both of these industries are production oriented and this means they want products where the emphasis is on speed.

Correctly used with a lubricant fine and mild grades of clay don't scratch paint.

Exactly how I would explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Exactly how I would explain it.

Huh????

What you said and Mike said are not the same thing at all...

The type and level of abrasives used in the polymer carrying agent is what determines whether a clay will induce marring in paint. Meguiar's Aggressive Clay (red) can even with proper lubrication induce marring. Hence the recommendation for people to use the Mild Clay (blue) unless they are planning on following with a rotary polisher.

Tim

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                  Huh????

What you said and Mike said are not the same thing at all...

The type and level of abrasives used in the polymer carrying agent is what determines whether a clay will induce marring in paint. Meguiar's Aggressive Clay (red) can even with proper lubrication induce marring. Hence the recommendation for people to use the Mild Clay (blue) unless they are planning on following with a rotary polisher.

Tim

Tim
                  Tim,

Mike posted a little bit more information on his post and I simply agreed that the information he was posting was correct.

With regard to my post, it can be said that claybar is not "an abrasive" so much as it is abrasive. It is a combination of ingredients in exactly the same way a compound would be. The clay elastic material is a carrier much like lubricating oils are in a polish.

The vast majority of the time, clay will not be abrasive to the paint with proper lubrication. Few people use something other than mild clay without advanced knowledge and so I feel I gave a fair assessment.

I agree that an aggressive clay will induce marring, though.

Thank you, Tim.

Comment

Tim,

Mike posted a little bit more information on his post and I simply agreed that the information he was posting was correct.

With regard to my post, it can be said that claybar is not "an abrasive" so much as it is abrasive. It is a combination of ingredients in exactly the same way a compound would be. The clay elastic material is a carrier much like lubricating oils are in a polish.

The vast majority of the time, clay will not be abrasive to the paint with proper lubrication. Few people use something other than mild clay without advanced knowledge and so I feel I gave a fair assessment.

I agree that an aggressive clay will induce marring, though.

Thank you, Tim.
                    Where are you obtaining your information from? We appreciate that you can support Mike's information as being correct considering he works for the manufacturer and you do not.

My point is this, we have corrected numerous posts of yours for incorrect information. You come across as knowledgeable but your posts are sometimes inaccurate. We are not trying to say that your posts are empty of content and facts, and we do appreciate you posting and and being part of the MOL Forum. However, we hope to work with the entire community on MOL in obtaining the best results from Meguiar's products and that means conveying accurate information rather than simply posting hearsay from things one reads on the Internet or from other detailing sites. If you want the facts, please ask and we will provide them for you. That is our job!!! And, that is what MOL is here for.

What you originally said was incorrect and all misinformation on MOL must be corrected. Hence why both Mike and myself have been following your posts and everyone else's correcting misinformation where needed.

If you have any questions or concerns please PM me.

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Definitely a great video!!!! Meguiar's rocks.

Comment

Yeah,That's right man,actually meguair's clay is not an abbrasive i think man,haha
                        but is remove all the defects and the contamination
                        Meguiar's Doctor

Comment

Meguiars Consumer Clay is good enough to removed overspray. I am very satisfied...

Comment

lol some guy was talking stuff about this product in the video comments. I had to educate him:

--------------------
                            rotaryking7:
                            I am using this stuff now and it *****! I just spent almost 2 1/2 hours on one spot and it did NOTHING! Dont waste your money on this ****!

TxRado (me)
                            Note this is Meguiars most conservative clay kit and is made for the every day consumer. If this did not meet your needs I would suggest looking into their professional line. C2000 is their mid-aggressive (more than the one represented in this video, and C2100 is their most aggressive clay which can be dangerous and is most often unneeded.

Hope this cleared up the confusion you may of had.
                            --------------------

Poor guy needs to do his research.
                            Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by TxRado View Post
                              lol some guy was talking stuff about this product in the video comments. I had to educate him:

--------------------
                              rotaryking7:
                              I am using this stuff now and it *****! I just spent almost 2 1/2 hours on one spot and it did NOTHING! Dont waste your money on this ****!

TxRado (me)
                              Note this is Meguiars most conservative clay kit and is made for the every day consumer. If this did not meet your needs I would suggest looking into their professional line. C2000 is their mid-aggressive (more than the one represented in this video, and C2100 is their most aggressive clay which can be dangerous and is most often unneeded.

Hope this cleared up the confusion you may of had.
                              --------------------

Poor guy needs to do his research.
                              yeah man,hahaha,u were so great
                              Meguiar's Doctor

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');