Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: In praise of #7 Show Car Glaze

Registered Member

In praise of #7 Show Car Glaze

Hi guys - I just wanted to share how happy I am with #7 Show Car Glaze on my wife's Classic SAAB 900. I bought a bottle of this a short while ago and I have tried it out on top of wax to really boost the shine. I was impressed! I have also tried it out on a couple of other combinations that elude me at present, but tonight, I put my mind to it and used it properly.

I washed the car down, used Car-Lack68 NSC to cleanse the paint and then put a layer of #7 down. Car-Lack68 NSC is my preferred paint cleanser - do Meguiars make a professional line paint cleaner? I know I could use DC1, but that is an unknown product to me and NSC is tried and tested as good on my paint. Advice, please guys ...

Okay, so our Classic 900 is old-school single stage black paint ... on with a layer of #7. I have read a lot about this product and about the technique of application. I finally "got it" tonight! It does "skin" and you do need to break it up when buffing off. I found it really easy, done at the end of a warm day in shade in a cool evening. I also felt a kind of creakiness to the surface when removing with quartered microfibre. Nice!

Topped with #26 and then #16 just because I can (I'm in the UK ... Ner! Ner! ) ... LOVE IT!!! This is the first time I have put #7 where it should be and it is truly stunning .... take time to understand it and you too will love it!

Question ... is #81 along the same lines, or can I #81 and then #7? What benefit is there, or is there no point? I like to polish by hand, BTW and my paint is so good, I just want to polish it up with a pure polish and seal/wax it in for the show season over the summer.

Again, advice, please ... #9? #81 and/or #7? What to do?

I am sorry there's no pictures, but I had tea to cook and my camera simply does not capture how wowwed I am about #7. Okay ... here's the car in question with #7 sitting on top of wax just to give it "Show Glow"

http://www.pjgh.co.uk/gallery_albums...8/DSCF7255.jpg

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar

Re: In praise of #7 Show Car Glaze

Quote Originally Posted by Orca

I washed the car down, used Car-Lack68 NSC to cleanse the paint and then put a layer of #7 down. Car-Lack68 NSC is my preferred paint cleanser -

do Meguiars make a professional line paint cleaner?

I know I could use DC1, but that is an unknown product to me and NSC is tried and tested as good on my paint. Advice, please guys ...
    Yes we make a number of products that are specifically in the category of "Paint Cleaner" and one of them can be used by hand.

M02 Fine Cut Cleaner

We also offer some light cleaner/polishes that will do the same job, that is they will give the same results, these would be,

M09 Swirl Remover 2.0
    M82 Swirl Free Polish
    M80 Speed Glaze

Out of the above 3 cleaner/polishes the M80 is the most aggressive but in relationship to all our compounds, paint cleaners and cleaner polishes it's still a very gentle product. It is also very rich in the polishing oils like the M07 is.

When ever we do an extreme makeover and the car has a single stage finish we use the M80 because unlike M07 which is a pure polish, the M80 is a cleaner/polish thus it contains diminishing abrasives and has the ability to effectively remove oxidation while gorging the old paint with these polishing oils, the results are usually nothing short of dramatic.

For example...

]1974 Mercedes-Benz 450 SL

Before - Yes the paint is actually turning from red to white in some places

After

Quote Originally Posted by Orca
    Question ... is #81 along the same lines, or can I #81 and then #7? What benefit is there, or is there no point? I like to polish by hand, BTW and my paint is so good, I just want to polish it up with a pure polish and seal/wax it in for the show season over the summer.

Again, advice, please ... #9? #81 and/or #7? What to do?

Read this as it explains the difference between a cleaner/polish and a pure polish.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
    (Posted in the The Information Station)

M07 Show Car Glaze contains the richest concentration of Meguiar's Trade Secret Polishing oils, so if you like the effect of #7 than stick with it topped by your favorite wax.

If you need cleaning ability then try the M80 Speed Glaze, it's kind of like #7 on Steroids.

Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

That is a great reflection shot of your car. Great work. Way to go.
    quality creates its own demand

Hey Orca

Like mike stated 80 is fantastic and the go to product,
    But if all you've got is the #9, #81, and #7 then I will give you two options with these three products.

First since your paint looks like you've done a great job, then I would say clay first then use your #9 swirl remover, followed by #7 show car glaze and apply two coats of either tech wax or tech wax 2.0 and you will have great gloss, with a deep rich look and fantastic mirror reflections!

And then on the other hand if doing work by hand and would be working on a clear coat finish with light swirls and scratches (which I know you stated that your car has a single stage finish) then I would say clay ofcourse then followed by the #9 and apply #81 hand polish and then 2 applications of the tech wax or tech wax 2.0.

Just some more combo's like many others, hope i've helped.

Registered Member

Mike - thanks, man ... I have #80 (and #83 which make a great combination), but I think I have been a little timid with it by hand when I have used it. I worked #7 in quite hard after the Car-Lack product and it skinned as expected and buffed out really well ... it smells bad, but I like that old-fashioned smell for a classic car.

It's good to read about the cleaner products ... where I live is very wet, high altitude and quite cold a lot of the year. I tend to need a paint cleaner, pure polish and good wax. I undertake those jobs with minimal unintentional swirling and don't tend to need fillers.

I think I need to work #80 a little more on surfaces that could do with a swirl remove/polish. I am very close to my bodyshop guys and I think if I understood a little more about what they do, I might be able to select better combinations to maintain the finishes that they give me.

I really like what #7 has given me tonight and I think I have been using the #83/#80 combination wrong before ... or not needed it. Given the finish I got this evening with #7, I think I will just carry on using this and if/when I need a little swirl removal try #80 again, or perhaps #9. I'll get some #9 in and read up on how to use it (and the other products) properly.

So, what abuot #81? It's a proper hand polish and I like hand polishing ... where would this product sit?

Registered Member

Hey Stang_Krazy - thanks for the reply. Actually, I have #80, but not #81. I have used it in the past, but perhaps I have not used it properly by hand. I think that is perhaps why I was asking about #81.

So ... if I do get some swirls, #9 would sound like the right product and then #80 if I want something a little stronger.

Thanks guys ... like many new 'detailers', I have bought a bunch of products that seemed right from reading forum posts, but paying attention to the real detail has led me to understand how one product works really well for my requirementsl I'm a lot happier maintaining this paintwork now.

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orca View Post
    So, what about #81? It's a proper hand polish and I like hand polishing ... where would this product sit?
    M81 Hand Polish, like #7 is a "Pure Polish", this means it's non-abrasive.

It's an modern formula for clear coat paints.

Remember, #7 came out in either the 1920's or 1930's, hard to pinpoint exactly when.

Here's a small collection of M0716 through the decades...

Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Registered Member

... for clear coats? Okay ... so I have the right product already for my car with #7, then. I love that picture ... it's great to see even today how Meg's maintain a product line with a proper heritage!

#7 is my good friend and now I have learned how to apply it properly, I'll stick with it until swirls start to appear. Thanks guys ... maybe I'll get some photographs tomorrow, but the car will probably be covered in pollen.

Very nice results!

Registered Member

Alot of people say that #7 is hard to use so i would like to know the correct way to apply it remove it since i plan on detailing my car soon, and it will be by hand.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information