• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convertible Top ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convertible Top ??

My boss is in the process of restoring a 1974 Toyota Land Cruiser. He asked me if I could "restore" or at least improve the rag top. I have yet to see the condition of the top. I've been searching the forums and have not come up with
    any information. I'm thinking the canvas cleaner & canvas protector in the boat line.

Can anyone on list provide any insight ?

Thanks
    --Dan--

Re: Convertible Top ??

Try to find out what company makes the top and check out their site to see what they prefer.
    on, people!

Comment

Mike recently worked on a red convertible with a white canvas top, and used the boat line products on it. Worked great, you should be able to find it on the main page or in the extreme makeover section.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hey Dan,
        You could also check out this thread.

1966 Rambler Extreme Makeover - April 24th Open Garage Pictures & Comments

The white canvas top turned out pretty good on the Rambler.

Let us know when you can get some pictures.

Andy
        101impala
        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

The results on the top of the Rambler were outstanding. ( as were the transformation of the rest of the car). I would probably go the same route. Good luck.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

See meguiar's marine products for cleaning/restoring canvas tops.
            Art Layton
            2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

Originally posted by druhe View Post
              My boss is in the process of restoring a 1974 Toyota Land Cruiser. He asked me if I could "restore" or at least improve the rag top.

Can anyone on list provide any insight ?

Thanks
              --Dan--
              Back in 1974 a lot of convertible tops were made of vinyl and not a canvas or cloth type material, so find out first what you're working on, whether it's vinyl or canvas/cloth.

If it's vinyl, then a tried and true product and process is to clean first using M39 Vinyl Cleaner and then coat with M40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner

If it's a canvas or cloth material type top from 1974 then it may be pretty far gone by now. We have a canvas cleaner in our Marine Line and a Canvas protectant and these would work pretty good if the top can be saved at all.

If Meguiar's Canvas cleaner can't save it, i.e. remove the dirt and restore an original look to the top, then it's likely nothing will fix it.

Can you get a picture of it?

Here's what we did using Meguiar's M7116 Canvas Cleaner on this neglected convertible top on this 1966 Rambler. After cleaning we then applied M40

1966 Rambler Extreme Makeover - April 24th Open Garage Pictures & Comments
              The first thing we did was to clean the Vinyl Convertible Top. Since we're not supposed to wash cars here we're going to use the Clean & Blot method to clean this convertible top. In most cases washing with free flowing water is a more thorough way to remove the loosened dirt and grime because with flowing water it can flow off the top, with the blotting and wiping method you're basically trying to wipe off any loosened dirt.

Note the cleaning results you see in these pictures are after the first cleaning, we went back over the top a second time and switched to clean dry towels to absorb and remove the dirty residue in the cleaning solution.

Before

Here we're spraying on M7116 Canvas Cleaner

If you look to the right hand side of the top you can see the same clean spot

Mike and Shawn attack the top

Remember, this is just the first pass, the next pass got it even cleaner

After

And the big picture....
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Wow, I guess the car was blue.... thats what I get for not checking on things.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                  Wow, I guess the car was blue.... thats what I get for not checking on things.
                  What are you talking about? The car is plainly red. Check again.

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'll get some pictures posted as soon as I can. The Toyota is in California and will be shipped to the right coast in a few weeks.

Thanks for the all the help, ya gota love the Meguiars forums !!

Comment

Originally posted by druhe View Post
                      The Toyota is in California and will be shipped to the right coast in a few weeks.

Left Right? Or wrong right?
                      2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                      2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                      2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                      2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');