• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best wax / combo for wet look on black car - NXT2.0 top #26 or Blackfire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best wax / combo for wet look on black car - NXT2.0 top #26 or Blackfire?

Hi everyone,
    I just bought a black high performance sports car (2004 year), and while I use only Meguiar's (mainly NXT2.0) on my other cars, I'm curious to see if anyone has discovered a wax or combination that works really well to maximize the "wet look" (I think it's called jetting) on black / dark cars. Since I paid a decent amount for the car, and don't drive it so much that I need to re-wax it every few weeks, I'm open to more expensive wax options than just those available on the Meguiar's line.

I've been researching a lot of forum and most (that's subjective, I know) seem to agree that at least for dark / black cars, Zanio is the best. However the amount of reseach required to find the right one, and all the steps needed, makes Zanio a less desireable option for me. The next best seemed to be Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Wax, that one received very high accolades from dark car owners.

Has anyone had experience with Blackfire? My Meguiar's-only option is going to be (as seems to receive high praise amongst Meguiar's fans) two thin coats of NXT2.0 then topped with #26. But putting the higher cost of Blackfire aside, has anyone tried Blackfire (or any other wax) and found it better to promote that "wet look"?

Thanks in advance,
    Dubs

Re: Best wax / combo for wet look on black car - NXT2.0 top #26 or Blackfire?

They key is the prep work... the wax only finishes it off.

You need to use a good soap, clay, clean the surface to remove defects, apply a good polish, and then wax.

The cleaning step would depend on a lot of things, working by hand, machine, what condition the paint is in now, etc. #7 Show Car Glaze would be a good polish to use, and #26, Nxt 2.0, #21 2.0 all seem like good wax choices.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I've heard pretty good things about Blackfire on other forums, but it is way overpriced. I'd go with something like M26 for the equivalent, but at a much nicer price.

Comment

I agree with Murr, removing defects is key.

That being said I would tape off a few sections and try some of the different waxes you have now and compare the results.

I'm not a fan of over priced waxes as the differences are minimal at best.

Just my $.02
        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

NXT
          M21
          Gold Class
          M26

All of these will create a clear finish on your car's clear coat paint which will enable your eyes to see past it to the black paint underneath.

Read this, although the title is about light colors, the information deals with the best wax for any color of paint.

Which LSP is better for light colors?

This one kind of applies too...

Topping NXT aka "How to top one type of wax with a different type of wax

Now how about a picture of this bad boy?

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

You guys are excellent, thank you for the responses. Also glad that Roush heard what I heard (anybody actually use Blackfire though and can give us an objective opinion)?

Murr is right on, that prep is key; I didn't mention it because it's almost a given, it has to be if you've read this forum at all! I just bought my Meguiar's clay kit for that. The plan is to wash, clay, then wax.

Mike thanks for the link; the LSP one is new but I've read the Topping NXT one over and over; it's kind of funny because it doesn't seem to tell any hard results, it's more like here's how to test it out.

Here's a question, and the reason I didn't mention polish. About 10 years ago when I got big into auto care, part of my Meguiar's education was that polishing removes a micro layer of the clearcoat in order to bring the entire clearcoat all to an even level (removing all the nicks and such), allowing a smooth base for the wax. Now I'm reading that polish only fills IN the scratches and clear coat problems, it does not remove any of the clear coat. Did something change or did I never understand it right??

Not sure how to add a pic, I can't see "add attachment" anywhere. I'm a computer idiot.

Thanks all,
            'dubs

Comment

Originally posted by Rdubs View Post
              Mike thanks for the link; the LSP one is new but I've read the Topping NXT one over and over; it's kind of funny because it doesn't seem to tell any hard results,

it's more like here's how to test it out.
              That's correct, that's the important part, otherwise the article would have to include every possible combination with a subjective opinion, not doable, better to have each person do their own test with the products they're interested in and with their eyes.

Here's a question, and the reason I didn't mention polish. About 10 years ago when I got big into auto care, part of my Meguiar's education was that polishing removes a micro layer of the clearcoat in order to bring the entire clearcoat all to an even level (removing all the nicks and such), allowing a smooth base for the wax. Now I'm reading that polish only fills IN the scratches and clear coat problems, it does not remove any of the clear coat. Did something change or did I never understand it right??
              We make two kinds of polishes, a cleaner/polish with the ability to abrade the paint and a pure polish, no cleaning power at all. Most companies that make a product called a polish are making a product that abrades, we're different and we've been around longer, so we're not held accountable to the new guys definitions of any words.

Have you read this?

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
              (Posted in the The Information Station)

Here's the part that pertains to your question...
              Step-3 Polishing

Meguiar's offers two types of polishes, Cleaner Polishes and Pure Polishes. Cleaner Polishes are for removing very light or fine defects while restoring a crystal clear, smooth high gloss surface. Pure polishes are for finishes already in excellent condition and are for the purpose or creating brilliant high gloss with deep dark reflections.

If you look in Webster's Dictionary under the word polish, one of the definitions they include reads like this:

"A preparation that is used to produce gloss, and often color for the protection and decoration of a surface."

This definition best describes Meguiar's Pure Polishes. Meguiar's pure polishes are designed to create brilliant high gloss while preparing the surface for the application of a protective coating. Meguiar's pure polishes accomplish this without the use of abrasives.

Another definition found in Webster's Dictionary for polish is,

"To make smooth and glossy by friction."

This definition best describes Meguiar's Cleaner/Polishes. Meguiar's cleaner polishes are formulated to very gently abrade the surface with Meguiar's Diminishing Abrasive TM and Buffered Abrasive TM technology to remove the finest defects and create a perfectly smooth, high gloss finish.

Not sure how to add a pic, I can't see "add attachment" anywhere. I'm a computer idiot.
              We don't allow people to "Attach File", that means to attach a photo, you get a gallery on this forum and you need to upload the photo into your gallery and then "Insert" the photo. That's the right way to work on a forum. Attaching photos gets junked up over time and the wrong photos start showing up in the wrong places.

And yes, there's a thread on this subject....

Meguiar's Online is in this for the long run, we've been making car care products for over 100 years and chances are good this forum will be around for over 100 years, so each registered member gets a photo gallery and we don't allow "Attaching Files"

It's for the benefit of everyone in the long run....

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I would just like to add, whatever LSP you use, (on my black grand Prix, I use either NXT 2.0 or 21 2.0 and if I have extra time, I top with 26) I would mist and wipe it with UQD between washings or even just to add gloss and remove dust.

Tom

Comment

You guys are excellent, thank you for the responses. Also glad that Roush heard what I heard (anybody actually use Blackfire though and can give us an objective opinion)?

Murr is right on, that prep is key; I didn't mention it because it's almost a given, it has to be if you've read this forum at all! I just bought my Meguiar's clay kit for that. The plan is to wash, clay, then wax.

Mike thanks for the link; the LSP one is new but I've read the Topping NXT one over and over; it's kind of funny because it doesn't seem to tell any hard results, it's more like here's how to test it out.

Thanks all,
                  'dubs
                  I think you are mistaking a Pure Polish for a cleaner polish. A pure polish has no cleaners or abrassives in it to remove paint, only polishing oils to help bring out the luster. Literally, it is an oil. Cleaner polishes, or paint cleaners, on the other hand are made to remove paint to remove surface defects. Some of these have the oil polish in them, while others do not.

Comment

This work? This uses Insert Link

Here's trying to use the Image button:

Comment

Think you're close, here's your image...

Right click on the image you want to insert and snag the URL Address for the image, not the URL address for the page it's on.

Then go back to your message box and click on this button,

Now paste the URL address for the image into the box that appears, make sure you don't have to sets of this,

http://

Which means copy and paste on top of it while it's highlighted blue or delete it all together before pasting.

If all that makes sense?

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Nice ride!
                        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I have a question could i use a cleaner polish 1st and 2nd use a pure polish like #7 or is that to much.

Comment

Originally posted by car fanatic View Post
                            I have a question could i use a cleaner polish 1st and 2nd use a pure polish like #7 or is that to much.
                            In most cases it's too much but you could if you wanted to and then go to wax.
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I think I got it to work from your directions, thanks Mike!

Hey here's a question, let's say I wanted to do a pure polish (not cleaner polish). I take it the #7 is better than the Deep Crystal polish, even though Deep Crystal is designed for dark cars?

(Thanks Rasky!)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');