• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cuff on MF Wash Mitt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuff on MF Wash Mitt

How safe is the cuff on the wash mitt? Seems a little stiff, like it may cause swirls.

Working on my sewing project to turn a mitt into a sponge, and just wondering if I need to be sure to hide it completly or not. Might need to cut the sponge down just slightly if the whole cuff needs sewn inside. Maybe it would affect where I stitch at as well.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Re: Cuff on MF Wash Mitt

Don't know if the cuff is any more or less abrasive to paint than the cuff on any wash mitt, the idea being to use the mitt to touch the paint and not the cuff.

How about a pictures of your modified wash mitt when you're done?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'll just try to hide it completly.

Of course...

Comment

I have thought about this too.

I think my mitts have cuffs with Meg's Logo Embroidered on there. That worries me more.

Comment

Here's what I got going so far:

A mit, and a grout sponge. Just need to catch my mom to get a better sewing job done than I would probably do.

Comment

Hey,

I make sure that I am not carless enough to allow the cuff of any mitt to touch the paint. We make sure to use the best MF towels, the best lambs wool mitts etc so why take a chance on letting the cuff touch the paint???

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I agree with Tim here. Put your hand in the mitt so the cuff won't touch the paint. It is not worth the risk.

Kelly
              MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

I really like where thats going murr.

Only thing is sometimes I like to have my hand inside of the mitt for tight spots. The front end on my Jeep is one area that I put my hand inside of it so I cant get around the grill really good.
                Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Yeah, the only problem so far is that the grout sponge is really wide. (My small hands haunt me again). But I am sure washing it once or twice after use will break the sponge down pretty quick, so I am trying not to cut it.

Comment

Well, here it is after 1 use and 1 gentle hand washing to try and keep the sponge inside from falling apart.

As you can see, looks pretty good, worked well. The seam was sewn with a couple passes of regular thread, though I am told getting through the black cuff was kind of hard. But the sponge fit with no cutting. Maybe a heavy duty needle and thread for the next ones.

It was a bit big though, as you can see my hand barely fits across it. Might get easier as the sponge breaks down, but really, once it got wet, it also seemed easier to hold. Maybe a bit squishier I guess.

So so far so good.... I think I will definately be working on one or two more as time goes on.

Comment

Cool! I was wondering how this was going. The old chenille sponges where my favorite. I've tried pretty much everything else and still wish I would have bought a case of those when they where around.
                      Scott

Comment

I'd recomend it so far. And the MF does seem high quality.

Comment

Wow! Pretty cool! I may just have to try this...

Comment

Murr that looks like a good idea. Glad that its working out for you so far. Just wondering how long the grout sponge will hold up inside there.
                            quality creates its own demand

Comment

I dunno, thats why I hand washed it.

Although I have machine washed other chenille sponges, and the sponge part inside has broken down a bit/alot but still been useable.

Maybe another good reason for a foam gun. I dont have to worry about the sponge soaking up the soapy water, just spray the car and the MF/chenille surface and thats all the soap/lubrication right there. Could almost just wash with a good MF towel in that case....

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');