• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

*New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

Hey everyone,

Though I am a little late to the D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream party, I wanted to post a review of D151 after having tested it on several surfaces. Moreover, I wanted to thoroughly evaluate it so that I could make specific comments rather than speculate on its performance.

Meguiar’s D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream is a strong cleaner, polish and wax all-in-one type of product. My test sample has a very distinguished smell to it. I think it smells like cherries or perhaps almond paste. Either way it has a pleasant smell that is not powerful or overwhelming, which is a good thing as this will be a product that will be used often by many detailers and enthusiasts alike. The product uses a unique and an Advanced Unigrit Technology for fast and level cutting of the paint’s surface. It can be applied by Rotary, by Dual Action Polishers and by Hand. The level of aggressiveness places it somewhere between Meguiar’s M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish and Meguiar’s Solo Cut and Polish Cream. In other words, it has the ability to remove fairly deep swirls and scratches, can be used by various application methods and provides protection! And, as you will see below, can be used on many surfaces for a truly “all-in-one” performance!

I had a detail to complete that I thought would be typical for the use of a product like this. The car was a 2004 Toyota Corolla which had very hard paint. Since being a daily driver, the car had moderate swirling and several deep scratches. Since I had only a small sample, I used the new D151 on the hood and on the trunk of the car only as well as on the headlights and side mirrors. I used both the Rotary and the G-110 Dual Action Polisher for swirl removal using W-8006 Polishing Pads and a Solo Light Cut Wool Pad (on the rotary only) for the deeper scratches. The rest of the car was completed using my normal detailing process: Rotary compounding and polishing; DA final finishing.

The first thing I noticed when using the D151 that it is fairly thick, with a similar consistency to Solo Cut and Polish Cream. In fact, when looking through the translucent bottle, I could see small air bubbles indicating that the product had a thicker consistency. I found that it had substantially more cut when using it with the Rotary polisher which is to be expected. The product finished down very nicely and had an average amount of working time. I finished the sections using the D151 with the G-110. I then did an isopropyl alcohol wipe down just to see if anything remained. The swirls were completely removed. Any product that contains a wax with the intended purpose of leaving something on the finish for protection will have a very slight filling capability. BUT I wanted to see if the Unigrit Technology was actually removing the swirls, and indeed it was.

Before Picture...the whole car had the same amount of swirl all over

Detailing with D151 and the G-110 Dual Action Polisher

AFTER....

The reason I know that Corolla paint so well is that I have a little more experience from owning a silver Corolla Sport seen here in the background.

I also wanted to see where else on the car I could try the new D151. It is obvious that an all-in-one product will be used by detailers for handling other issues. But since it is rated more aggressive than M83, I was curious to see how fine it would finish down. Since the paint was so hard, finishing it down to an ultra fine level was easy; but what about on not so hard of surfaces? The car’s headlights, and black plastic mirrors were very swirled due again to the fact it is a daily driver. But since I felt many people who buy a product like D151 would probably want to use one product that could do many tasks, I gave it a try. I believe the results speak for themselves! The lights and the mirrors turned out awesome!

Headlights BEFORE

During....

Headlights AFTER!

Mirrors BEFORE and AFTER 50/50:

Meguiar’s D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream will definitely be a product that I will be using...a lot. I could especially see its value if you are doing an all-in-one detail where time is an issue, but where you also want perfection in the paint. When this product becomes available, I will order a few gallons of it as it has now been added to my ever growing list of excellent detailing products!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Re: *New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

Excellent write up Tim!! That Toyota looks fantastic. I really like how the headlights came out.
    I bet the owner was happy!!

Kelly
    MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

This gives a whole new meaning to one stop shopping!

Tim,
      excellent write up us always. Thank you for taking the time to write it up and take photos. I am sure the owner is very happy with the results. I can't wait until it comes out so that I can order some myself.

Andy
      101impala
      Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
      Andy M. Moderator

Comment

another good review,nice.so D151 is supposed to be more aggressive than 83?it would probably be a good product for my black Trans Am which has extremley hard paint.when will it be available?and btw do you have a speck of dirt in your garage?lol.i am jelous your garage always looks so clean and organized.

Comment

Wow, this seems like a great product. I'm kid of curious about the way you taped off the headlights. It looks like the way you have them taped, you didn't polish all the way to the edges, or am I not looking at it the right way?

Comment

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
            Wow, this seems like a great product. I'm kid of curious about the way you taped off the headlights. It looks like the way you have them taped, you didn't polish all the way to the edges, or am I not looking at it the right way?

Nope your eyes are not seeing things. When I first started on the lights I was trying to be a bit careful as I was not certain how the product would react. Once I saw how well it did, I switched to my ultra thin tape and then just masked the very edge/lip of the paint which surrounded the light buckets so I could polish as much of the light as I could. If you look at the photos, you will see that I use 3 different widths of tape. The darker green is el cheapo stuff that I am trying to use up as I am not fond of it. Some details I just skipped so that my review was not 5 pages long!

It is good to see you posting on MOL again. Hopefully you will post some photos and reviews of your most recent detailing.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by spence82 View Post
              another good review,nice.so D151 is supposed to be more aggressive than 83?it would probably be a good product for my black Trans Am which has extremley hard paint.when will it be available?and btw do you have a speck of dirt in your garage?lol.i am jelous your garage always looks so clean and organized.

Thanks for the kind comment!

Yes, D151 is more aggressive than M83 but less than Solo. So if you are using the G-110, then this would be a great product to try on that difficult paint.

As for the dirt speck...yeah I know...I am slippin' !! I just wish my desk at work looked like that! But then again, one must have priorities!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                Thanks for the kind comment!

Yes, D151 is more aggressive than M83 but less than Solo. So if you are using the G-110, then this would be a great product to try on that difficult paint.

As for the dirt speck...yeah I know...I am slippin' !! I just wish my desk at work looked like that! But then again, one must have priorities!

Tim
                Tim,

If you want to clean up your shelves with all those bottles just let me know. I can help you out.

You're going to need to make room anyway!

Andy
                Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Hey Tim,

For those of us who are not as familiar with the solo line, but are experienced with #83, how would you compare D-151 breaking down as opposed to #83? In other words, how long do you need to work the product before removing? Also, is there more of a chance of a user damaging the surface of a vehicle while using this product?

Thanks
                  Andy
                  Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by 101impala View Post
                    Hey Tim,

For those of us who are not as familiar with the solo line, but are experienced with #83, how would you compare D-151 breaking down as opposed to #83? In other words, how long do you need to work the product before removing? Also, is there more of a chance of a user damaging the surface of a vehicle while using this product?

Thanks
                    Andy
                    Hey Andy,

In comparison, I found the D151 to be very user friendly. I would have to say that you can buff the D151 slightly longer than M83 (but again, I will need to try that theory out on days of higher humidity to be accurate). But overall, I would say that the amount of buffing with the DA would be very similar. I did notice also that the D-151 seemed to spread easier and wiped off VERY easily!

Tim

Comment

Hey Tim, great review as usual! Thanks for taking the time to share

I have a question, I see that you touch the topic on how well the product reacts and how effective it is on removing defects from the paint but, will you test how does this product hold up (protection wise)?

Comment

Wow, Nice review Tim, thanks for posting your results. The car looks great and I'm excited about getting a gallon when it's released.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by yalerd View Post
                          Hey Tim, great review as usual! Thanks for taking the time to share

I have a question, I see that you touch the topic on how well the product reacts and how effective it is on removing defects from the paint but, will you test how does this product hold up (protection wise)?
                          Thank you Francis!

I am one step ahead of you. Since I do not own that car, it will be difficult to judge the performance of the wax as I have no control over how it is washed etc... So I will be using it on my truck and Corolla Sport to so that I can give an accurate assessment of the durability of the wax.

I hope that is OK...

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Weed View Post
                            Wow, Nice review Tim, thanks for posting your results. The car looks great and I'm excited about getting a gallon when it's released.

Tom
                            Thanks Tom! I appreciate the comments.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                              Hey everyone,

I finished the sections using the D151 with the G-110. I then did an Isopropyl alcohol wipe down just to see if anything remained. The swirls were completely removed.

Any product that contains a wax with the intended purpose of leaving something on the finish for protection will have a very slight filling capability. BUT I wanted to see if the Unigrit Technology was actually removing the swirls, and indeed it was.
                              Nice review and excellent write-up Tim, good insights about the product and its performance especially for the market this product is formulated for and intended to be used by, the production detailing industry.

Of course the performance of any product depends a lot upon the skill level of the person using as you've demonstrated, that said Meguiar's has created a one-step product that goes a long ways as to making it an easy product to use while still getting consistent, professional results by detailers of all skill levels.

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');