• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car...how long to wait before claying and waxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car...how long to wait before claying and waxing

I'm the proud owner of a new black 2008 Bullitt Mustang. How long do I need to wait for the paint to cure before claying and waxing?

Re: New car...how long to wait before claying and waxing

You should be able to clay and wax away

and welcome to MOL!

check out the list o' links made by Ryan aka:lilblkblt04, upper right on the home page. Lots of information to keep that Bullitt shiny.

Aaron
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

since the is your first post welcome to MOL and the paint is baked on at the factory and is ready before it ever sees a car lot so you are good to go . I would like to suggest NXT tech wax 2.0. I personally love the way it looks on a black car. It leave a slick and real wet look
      ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
      Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
      210-281-8151

Comment

Do i have to claybar? Im kinda scared. I do wax like every 2 weeks though.

Comment

Originally posted by dasiknes803 View Post
          Even on some new cars right off the lot you will be shocked of what can be removed by claying the car. Not saying all new cars need to be clayed but you should properly inspect the paint to see for yourself. Just simply run your hand over the clean finish and if it does not feel as smooth as glass then it needs to be clayed. Waxing every 2 weeks is a little overkill. You should only have to wax about once every 2 to 4 months depending on the conditions and contaminants the car is exposed to and maintain the car with something like UQD after every wash to restore that just wax look.
          ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
          Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
          210-281-8151

Comment

But it wouldnt hurt to wax as much right?

Comment

Originally posted by helix139 View Post
              I'm the proud owner of a new black 2008 Bullitt Mustang. How long do I need to wait for the paint to cure before claying and waxing?
              The paint was fully cured before the Mustang left the assembly line so you can treat it just like you would any cured and dried paint.

If the car has been damaged somehow while it was being shipped and the dealership that you bought it from re-painted any of the panels then this would be fresh paint and you would want to let it completely dry and cure for about 30 days before applying a wax.

Just because a car is new doesn't mean it doesn't need to be clayed or that the Dealership hasn't swirled it out. Wash the car and then feel the paint with your clean hand, it should feel 100% smooth and glassy. If you feel little bumps you need to clay the paint.

Look at the sun's reflection in the paint and hope it doesn't look like this,

DISO = Dealer Installed Swirl Option

Cobweb Swirls vs Rotary Buffer Swirls

Hopefully it looks clear and swirl free and you can go right to washing and waxing.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by dasiknes803 View Post
                I was scared at first also. Taking it up a notch on how I detailed. After trying a section with the clay. I was amazed at how easy it was. It was also cool. How after lubing the section rubbing the clay on the paint. Then looking at the clay and seeing all the bonded dirt just lift away and transfer to the clay. It was great.

I would inspect your paint, like Mike says. If not completely smooth , getthe clay kit. I bet you will see a big difference.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by helix139 View Post
                  I'm also an '08 Bullitt owner and post over at IMBOC.com, they are the guys that turned me on to these products.

I don't believe it is necessary to clay a new car unless, as stated below by Mike...

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                  ...Wash the car and then feel the paint with your clean hand, it should feel 100% smooth and glassy. If you feel little bumps you need to clay the paint.

Look at the sun's reflection in the paint and hope it doesn't look like this,

DISO = Dealer Installed Swirl Option

Cobweb Swirls vs Rotary Buffer Swirls

Hopefully it looks clear and swirl free and you can go right to washing and waxing.

Some of the cars will pick up a lot of dirt in the rail transport, etc. Just do as Mike Phillips says if any of the above is true in your case.

My car came in smooth, and I told the dealer ahead of time not to jack with anything on it. I then washed and waxed using Meguiar's method, but without the claying, as it did not need it. It's important to buy the right products, especially the terrycloth and/or microfiber towels. I keep all my stuff in a Tupperware tub in the trunk. In addition, I have found the Meguiar's Quik Detailer to be great as a maintenance tool for bugs/dirt between washes and waxes.

These Bullitt cars look so damn cool when they are glassed out like this! I can look at mine for hours!

Comment

I washed, clayed, and waxed today and wow, what a difference! This car just looks and feels fantastic with a good clay and a coat of Gold wax. Take a look...

Comment

Why Photo Bucket is a waste of time...

Comment

Looks great. Reflections are great. Great work. Way to go.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Now it's working!

The car looks great and as always, great color!

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                            Now it's working!

The car looks great and as always, great color!
                            Yeah the first time I uploaded them it stretched them out too much and the pictures looked blurry. I had to re-upload them at 1024x768. You caught me in the process of editing.

Thanks for the comments! No doubt, black is the best color for cars when well-maintained.

Comment

Awesome and good work!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');