• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Question Regarding Clear Coat Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question Regarding Clear Coat Failure

Here it goes,

My dad has a junker $400 Honda Civic (almost perfect body).

There is a significant amount of clear coat failure and he is wanting to respray it himself
    The base coat will be white with zebra stripes over that and a final shot of Clear coat - -(For the record, I object to humiliating this car)

-----------------------------------------
    I saw this link, and had a couple follow up questions, even though this isn't exactly a painter's forum

#1, In prepping the car, does the trashed clear coat have to be sanded off?

#2 if so,does the surrounding "nornal, non damaged" clearcoat also have to be removed?

#3, does meguiars have a paint prep product (to remove stuff that would prevent paint from sticking)?, or would claying it work

thanks,
    -nick
    Luck is probability taken personally!

Re: A Question Regarding Clear Coat Failure

See answers in blue...

Originally posted by CarbonBlack View Post
    I saw this link, and had a couple follow up questions, even though this isn't exactly a painter's forum

#1, In prepping the car, does the trashed clear coat have to be sanded off?

Yes, if the goal is for the next paint job to look good and last a long time, then you're going to want good surface adhesion over each entire panel.

#2 if so,does the surrounding "normal, non damaged" clearcoat also have to be removed?

Yes. See answer to question #1

#3, does meguiars have a paint prep product (to remove stuff that would prevent paint from sticking)?, or would claying it work

You need to find a PBE store, tell the Paint Mixer what you want to do and take his advice and recommendations.

Trying to only sand off the flaking clear coat layer and the scuff everything and then trying to spray clear over this and get the paint to adhere without any problems and have it look good is highly unlikely.

If you want to do it right then re-base the entire car white and then clear it. That would include properly prepping the current panels for preparation for a new paint job.

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: A Question Regarding Clear Coat Failure

Maaco.

Ok, maybe they won't do the stripes. $400 and no hassle. You can wetsand it to a fantastic finish.

Jim
      If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');