• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Streaks in paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streaks in paint

I'm cleaning up a black Porsche Boxster for a friend, and I've run into an issue. The process I used was M80 then a coat of M21, then topping it with NXT 2.0. I let the M21 sit on the car for ~30 minutes, and removed it with the PC 7424 and a microfiber bonnet. I waited for 2 hours or so before applying the NXT and left that to dry for an hour. It was in the upper 50s this weekend, so the NXT took a little longer to dry. The car was in the garage the entire time also. Now I have streaks all over the car(at least the front and rear trunks from what I can see), and I've tried UQD, normal QD and Last Touch with both a Meguiar's MF and the soft terry cloth towel to remove, and the streaks show up in whatever direction I run the towels. It was hard to capture the streaks with the camera on the front, but when I ran my finger across the rear, they showed up better.

Does anyone know what would cause this and how to remove them, short of washing the car again? I did the M21 and NXT on Saturday and tried to remove the streaks on Sunday, hoping whatever it was, would be dry the next day. It was in the 70s on Sunday, so it was warm enough to dry whatever was on there. Thanks in advance.

Re: Streaks in paint

Interesting in that in most cases wiping with a quick detailer will remove most streaks off the paint, this makes us wonder if the problem isn't deeper?

Here's an experiment you can try, take about a quarter of the hood and apply the NXT 2.0 using a thin layer either by hand or machine.

Let this thin coating dry completely and then wipe off the reside. Before inspecting, give the area a final slow wipe with your softest plushest microfiber, using this technique, then inspect.

Final Wiping Techniques

Final Wiping Techniques
    One mention about your final wiping technique. (Not initial removal of product, but after the most of a product has been removed and now you're just giving the finish a final wipe).

Streaks are just trace residues still on the paint, to get rid of the streaks you need to remove all the product and sometimes a slow, careful wipe will help to remove the trace residues off the paint.

Keep us updated...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike, I'll try that tonight and report back.

Comment

You can always wash it. That should get rid of them if using a QD isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
          You can always wash it. That should get rid of them if using a QD isn't.
          I thought about that, but I didn't want to risk introducing swirls back into the paint before the owner saw the car. I thought about mixing soap and water and doing a spot wash.

Comment

I applied another coat of NXT 2.0 to a section on the front and rear, and removed it with slower wipes of the towel, and it does look like it removed the streaks. I'm going to put another coat on the entire car tonight and see what that does. When I put the first coat on, I didn't work the product in to give it a uniform coat. In some areas it was thicker than others. Last night, I rubbed, without pressure, until there was the same amount of product in the area I was working. I'll be sure to create a thread with the before and after pictures once I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by eric96ser View Post
              I applied another coat of NXT 2.0 to a section on the front and rear, and removed it with slower wipes of the towel, and it does look like it removed the streaks. I'm going to put another coat on the entire car tonight and see what that does. When I put the first coat on, I didn't work the product in to give it a uniform coat. In some areas it was thicker than others. Last night, I rubbed, without pressure, until there was the same amount of product in the area I was working. I'll be sure to create a thread with the before and after pictures once I'm done.

Morning,

Just make sure to apply a very thin, even coat. Applying the product too thick often leads to longer dry times and often streaking. Therefore, nice thin even coats are best.

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

You mean thicker isn't always better?

Comment

At least you would know if you missed a spot, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                    At least you would know if you missed a spot, lol!

Comment

You mean thicker isn't always better?
                      LOL...not always....LOL

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Revisiting this, I had to wash the car to get the streaks out. I tried putting another coat of NXT 2.0 on, but it did the same. Perhaps the 26 is what caused it, and once I put the NXT coat on, I wasn't able to fully remove the 26. Either way, the car looks great, and as long as the sun is out today, I'll take after pictures and post a thread in the Show Off section. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Revisiting this, I had to wash the car to get the streaks out. I tried putting another coat of NXT 2.0 on, but it did the same. Perhaps the 26 is what caused it, and once I put the NXT coat on, I wasn't able to fully remove the 26. Either way, the car looks great, and as long as the sun is out today, I'll take after pictures and post a thread in the Show Off section. Thanks for the help guys.
                          Could be a case of too much wax...

Paint can only hold so much wax on the surface...

Keep us updated, could be you might have to start over, get down to a fresh base and then apply the wax.
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The owner picked the car up yesterday. There was a slight trace of the streaks, but I'm sure the car will get dirty on the way from Nashville to Chicago, so the next wash may take care of it.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');