• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems...

i tried waxing my dads BLACK 08 jaguar xkr with nxt wax 2.0, left the wax on but it was time to remove it there were streaks everywhere on the car don't know why this is happening again. the weather was about 63 degrees when i was waxing it. anyone know what it can be. the paint is in alright condition. alot of swirl marks from going through automatic car washes

[Edited for language in the title of the thread. We do not allow inappropriate language on MOL. Please refer to the Forum Rules; Thanks, Tim]

Re: Problems

How long did you let it "dry"?

Comment

Re: Problems...

As Francis asked, how long did you allow the product to set up before removing it with a MF towel?

LSP's can streak if they are removed too soon or if they have been left on too long before removal. Meguiar's recommends allowing ~ 15 minutes for the product to 'dry' before removing with a quality MF towel. However, sometimes humidity can be a factor thereby changing the 15 minutes to a longer or perhaps a shorter length of time time. Hence Meguiar's recommends the Swipe Test.

Info:

The Swipe Test

How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove

A good rule of thumb for knowing when a Meguiar?s wax is ready to remove, is to wait until the wax dries to a haze and swipes clear using the Swipe Test. In most cases, in most climates, this should be approximately 10 to 15 minutes after application. In warmer climates, it will hedge towards the 10 minute range, and in colder, wet climates, it will take longer and hedge towards the 15 and even 20 to 25 minute range. Other factors include how thick of a coat you applied, relative humidity and air flow.

Another way to test if the wax has set-up long enough besides measuring with time, is to perform the Swipe Test.

"Swipe Test"

The swipe test is where you take your clean finger, and swipe it briskly across the finish with the wax on it. If the paint is clear, without residue where your finger made the swipe, the wax is ready to wipe-off. If the area you have swiped is smudgy, or streaky, or there is noticeable wax in the swipe area, then the wax has not set-up long enough and you should allow more time for the wax to set-up before your remove it.

If you remove it before it has set-up, you will risk removing too much of the wax from the surface and thus leave less than engineered to remain behind on the finish.

Once enough time has passed and your coating of wax swipes clear, remove the wax using a clean, soft premium microfiber polishing cloth such as Supreme Shine Microfiber polishing cloths, or with a clean, 100% cotton, terry cloth towel like our Ultra Plush Terry Cloth towels,

Here's some pictures that show the swipe test

As for the title of this thread, I had to change it as it did not abide by our family friendly language rules. So while I understand why you were frustrated, we need to be cognitive that this is a family site.

I hope this helps!

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

i did the swipe test, i let it dry for 15 min. should i have used a paint cleaner before waxing

Comment

Did you wax in the sun? Sometimes that can be a problem too. Also if you don't clay it the wax won't be as effective since the contaminants on the paint will keep it from doing it's full abilities.

Comment

This weekend I detailed a car and although we're not suppose to I took a chance & waxed the hood of this car in the sun using the NXT wax 1.0. The hood itself was pretty warm. I had no streaks what so ever after wiping it off.
            1985 Pontiac Fiero

Did you use a clean microfiber towel to remove the wax? or maybe the wax was removed prematurely (?)
            Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
            www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
            Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

i did all the steps. i was in the shade while waxing. i did use a microfiber towel. what was weird though was when i pushed my hand up on the paint after removing the wax, it still felt rough did not feel smooth at all. not sure what is the problem i have given up lol

Comment

Originally posted by MRCLEAN View Post
                when i pushed my hand up on the paint after removing the wax, it still felt rough did not feel smooth at all.
                Sounds like you need to clay the paint. And if you need to clay the paint then the paint is probably dirty and you also need to clean it.

Did you evaluate the finish before choosing your product?

NXT is for finishes in excellent condition, that is they don't need to be clayed or cleaned. If this is a brand new car, maybe it sat on the lot at some point? Maybe one of the panels has been re-painted and the car has overspray?

Try claying the paint and then turn your clay over and look at it.
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

One question I do have,
                  Should an 08' really need claying?

I wonder if it was properly washed?

just curious
                  Luck is probability taken personally!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonBlack View Post
                    One question I do have, Should an 08' really need claying?

I wonder if it was properly washed?

just curious

We recently held a class for the San Diego Shelby Club, here's the link with all the pictures,

The car we chose to teach technique on was a restored 1969 Cougar, it had a brand new paint job. So it's not a brand new Jaguar, but it does have a brand new paint job which is a similar at some level to a new car, (they both have new paint in common).

You would expect a brand new paint job to be in excellent condition wouldn't you?

Here's the car and take a look at what the clay revealed to our eyes after claying just a portion of the hood.

This could be some kind of paint overspray that landed on the new paint job after it was painted by while it was still at the body shop, it could also be some kind of overspray or industrial fallout/pollution that fell on the car wherever it is normally parked.

Above surface bonded contaminants come from what's in the air where you normally park the car.

That's why Meguiar's always teaches people to first evaluate the condition of the paint by feeling it and looking at it in good lighting, and then letting the results of your surface evaluation help you determine which products the paint needs in order to reach your goal.

Pick up our Smooth Surfaced Clay Kit because the clay bar is white and it is very, very, very good at revealing to your eyes any contaminants bonded to the paint. Do a little "Clay Test Spot", that is take a flat area like the trunk lid and after washing or wiping the paint clean, take your clay and your Quik Detailer and clay just a thin section in the middle of the trunk lid, make it about a foot long or so and as wide as your patty of clay or so, the idea being to have a think section in a straight line on a horizontal panel and clay this section clean but leave the surrounding paint alone. Turn your clay over after claying this section and inspect it.

Next remove the Quik Detailer residue and dry all the paint in that area off.

Now take your clean hand and move your hand back and forth over the panel so it's going over the two untouched sections and the clayed area in the middle. See if you can feel a difference in the smoothness and/or texture of the paint. If there were in fact some type of bonded contaminant on the finish of this Jaguar, and you were able to remove a swath of it and verify your results using your sense of touch, then it would probably be a good idea to clay the entire car, anything that's smooth and then apply the appropriate paint care products to the paint as a follow up to insure the paint is protected.

If you discover from the above that the paint needs to be clayed, then that will likely be the reason the paint on your dad's Jaguar doesn't feel smooth, (even though it's a brand new car), and that will be at least part of the reason you won't get great results with any wax.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonBlack View Post
                      One question I do have,
                      Should an 08' really need claying?
                      The answer to that is no. But should a brand new car ever have swirls in the paint? The answer to that is no also but look how many times people come to our forum asking for help because the brand new car they bought has DISO, the Dealer Installed Swirl Option.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

thanks for all the replies. thanks mike for the input. i use to use medallion paint cleaner to clean the paint, but meguiars no longer makes that product. have never clayed a car before. i guess i will try it now.

Comment

Clay is vital to getting good results. Seriously, pick up some quality clay, wash the car or wipe the car clean and then try what we typed on the first page of this thread...

Pick up our Smooth Surfaced Clay Kit because the clay bar is white and it is very, very, very good at revealing to your eyes any contaminants bonded to the paint. Do a little "Clay Test Spot", that is take a flat area like the trunk lid and after washing or wiping the paint clean, take your clay and your Quik Detailer and clay just a thin section in the middle of the trunk lid, make it about a foot long or so and as wide as your patty of clay or so, the idea being to have a think section in a straight line on a horizontal panel and clay this section clean but leave the surrounding paint alone. Turn your clay over after claying this section and inspect it.

Next remove the Quik Detailer residue and dry all the paint in that area off.

Now take your clean hand and move your hand back and forth over the panel so it's going over the two untouched sections and the clayed area in the middle. See if you can feel a difference in the smoothness and/or texture of the paint. If there were in fact some type of bonded contaminant on the finish of this Jaguar, and you were able to remove a swath of it and verify your results using your sense of touch, then it would probably be a good idea to clay the entire car, anything that's smooth and then apply the appropriate paint care products to the paint as a follow up to insure the paint is protected.

If you discover from the above that the paint needs to be clayed, then that will likely be the reason the paint on your dad's Jaguar doesn't feel smooth, (even though it's a brand new car), and that will be at least part of the reason you won't get great results with any wax.

As for Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner, you can easily substitute either Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner or #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 and use either one the same way you used the Medallion product.

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I will try it this weekend if it doesn't rain. i know i prob don't need 1 i did a search for a how to guide on claying but did not find much. do you have one mike

Comment

Try this on for size.

How to use detailing clay at Meguiar's Garage

Also, I bought a brand new Dodge Neon, and I clayed off, rail dust, overspray from factory and just grime from being transported. I recommend claying a new car for sure.

Aaron
                              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');