• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mothers Back to Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mothers Back to Black

I think Meguiar's makes the Mother's line of products so I'm going to ask this question. I bought some Back to Black to refinish the luggage rack on top of my 96 Buick Roadmaster. I plan to tape of all of the surrounding painted areas and then apply. How long will this product last before I have to reaply? Have any of you out there had any experience with this product? It sounds alot easier than taking the luggage rack apart to paint it since they like to leak after they have been removed. If this isn't a Mequiars product, does Mequiars make anything comparable? I always use Mequiars products but didn't see anything like this. Thanks for any help.
    Robert 96

Re: Mothers Back to Black

What makes you think that Meguiar's makes Mothers? They are two different companies entirely. Mothers is a car care company just like Meguiar's.

I have used the Back to Black though and it seems to last a pretty long time...maybe 4-5 washes. I like it because its more of a liquid so it doesn't attract as much dust but I don't like it because its too watery, you can easily pour the whole bottle on accident.

Meguiar's does make something very similar called Gold Class Trim Detailer. Its serves the same purpose as Back to Black but its not as watery.

Hope this helps!

Ryan
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Thanks Ryan. I'll go tomorrow and get some of the Mequires product so I can try them both out.

Comment

I always use Back to Black and have been wanting to try out Meguiars Trim detailer. Which one do you guys prefer?

Comment

I tried Back to Black on some rubber trim on my Bronco and wasn't impressed. It brought back a little color but not much, more applications may help. The trim is oxidized and faded. I haven't applied more coats because right next to it I tested a spot with Megs #40 Vinyl/Rubber cleaner conditioner and one application of it made much more of a difference.

I'm still not satisfied with the results of either, but far more impressed with the Megs #40. So I got some #39 Heavy Duty Cleaner and will use it to clean the area then reapply the #39 or GC Trim Detailer. I'm sure the only reason the #40 didn't make it to full bling is because of the oxidation still on the trim.

I would recommend #40 over Back to Black from my limited experience with the two.

HTH,
          Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

On the roof of my Mazda 5 I have those channels that are rubber on each side of the roof. I have found The all deason dressing lasts a very long time on them. Brings out a very deep, rich black finish.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

I think I am going to have to get some of the Meguiars stuff and try it out. I have a lot of plastic trim on my Escape that gets pretty faded from mud.

Comment

I tried Back to Black before and it did make the plastic look great but to make it really shine I had to apply more then one coat of it. And with Meguiar's Trim Detailer I only have to apply it once and it leaves a better looking gloss on the plastic.

Comment

I just used meguiars trim detailer today and I love the stuff. It comes in a small bottle but I only use it on the door handles so it doesnt really matter. If you are going to be doing alot of trim dressing I recommend megs All season Dressing.

The trim dressing leaves a nice gloss appearance after one coat. Usually what I do is apply it fairly thick and let it sit for around 10min or so. Then I come back with a clean cloth and wipe it back off to leave a perfect finish. I will admit it still runs a little the first time it rains, even if I go back over it and wipe the excess off.

Kinda ironic this thread came up, I ran out to walmart today to buy some of those foam paint brushes for this exact purpose. I read about them somewhere so I figured I would give them a try. They worked out great for my door handles by keeping product off the paint but they didnt have much support to them. They still applied the product much better and easier than when I used old terry cloths even though they were kinda cheap/flimsy. It also took less product since the foam didnt absorb as much and for only $0.42 its hard to go wrong.

ohh, the appearance of the stuff is cut down after the first wash but they continue to look great for many washes/rains. The gloss is just cut down after you wash it.
                  Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                  Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Not to divert the post, but those little foam brushes are great. Don't bother with the .42 cent ones from wally world or home improvement stores. Find a Big Lot's or a Dollar store. They're 10 for a $1.
                    Life isn't about 'weathering the storm', it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Mothers B2B is not a dressing, not a WOWO product. It has to be worked in more times, and then it'll stay and protect.

Comment

I use B2B and found that a paper towel is the best way to apply. You can take a corner of the paper sheet to get right up to the paint without touching it. Im almost up on the B2B so I think Ill try the Meg this time to get comparative difference. So you guys are using these products for engine dressing? I usually like a spray since its fast, I couldnt imagine wiping all the plastic under the hood with this creamy stuff...

Comment

When applying any product to my trim I use a foam paintbrush

Works great
                          Black Bart

Comment

Must I mask the paint when using Gold Class Trim Detailer or Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner (M40) on my plastic trim? Is there a trim detailer that I can simply wipe off the paint should there be overspray?

Comment

You might want to considering looking into Black Wow. I have heard nothing but rave reviews about that stuff as far as for vehicles with large amounts of outside plastic trim. Can be found on Auto Detailing Solutions (http://autodetailingsolutions.com). Other than that, Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer would be the one of choice. M40 and Natural shine seem to wear off too fast for me on the outside.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');