• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New paint buffing process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New paint buffing process

We paint a lot of cars in my dads shop and im thinking about switching the way we buff. What would a good process be do you guys think? This would be going from 1500 sand scratches or 2000 on fresh paint to a high gloss shine.

Right now its wool pad with some 3m compound 06060 extra cut then to a 3m black pad with the finishing glaze. I think he needs a step in between also cause he still gets some swirls left over. Seems like a big jump to me going from the wool with compound strait to the black pad with glaze.

So if I can get him a whole new system using meguiars products that would be awesome or even just add a step or 2 in between what he does.

Re: New paint buffing process

Here's a pretty good system,

After sanding...

M105 with our W5500 on a rotary buffer at around 1500 RPMs
    M83 or M82 with a W-8000 polishing pad on a rotary buffer at around 1500 RPMs

Next, use a DA Polisher to re-polish each panel using a light cleaner/polish like the M80 or M82 with a W-8006 pad to insure there's no swirls.

You could then let it go out the door like that or if you like give the paint a final polish using a product like #7 or #81 by hand or again with the DA Polisher.

If you don't have an electric DA Polisher like our G110 or a PC then you could use your air powered DA Sander.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Yup I have a PC just got one last yr .

Comment

So an air sander would be a decent replacement for the G110, mike? Because if so, then I'm good to go. I just got a large air compressor not too long ago and I believe that i have an air sander at his car lot...

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');