• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Highway Paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Highway Paint?

How do I remove highway lane marking paint from my car? The crews were painting at night in Rainy weather, traffic must have kicked up the wet paint, now I have small highway yellow paint spots all over the front of the car, including the clear plastic headlight covers. I am new to the whole detailing thing, and don't have a clue.

Re: Removing Highway Paint?

When this question has come up in the past, mineral spirits have been recommended and the if memory serves me correctly, the OP, (Original Poster), would come back and say it worked for them.

You kind find mineral spirits and places like Lowe's and Home Depot in pints and quarts.

Test in an inconspicuous area first for compatibility with your car's regular paint.

Better to get on this sooner versus later...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Try to clay it.Works for me on the past.
      I AM HERE TO LEARN

Comment

It took a lot, but I got it. I started with deep crystal wash. Then I clayed the entire car. That got rid of all of the overspray, but did nothing to any spots bigger than the diameter of a pencil lead. I found a commercial product called "Oops" at the local hardware store. It was fantastic on vinyl trim and clear plastic. I followed it up with Meguair's natural shine and plastx and those areas were good as new. The paint was a different issue. Mineral spirits just didn't do it. Meguair's deep crystal paint cleaner took the paint spots off the sides of the care easily. The front end and the back end (which had the most paint damage) were hard. I finally wound up using the "Oops" product, Meguairs deep crystal paint cleaner and a lot of elbow grease to get them off. I followed up with the deep crystal polish and wax and the car looks fantastic. A few minor spots that wouldn't come off, and a few scratches that the polish didn't get, but it looks much better. All told about ten hours to get rid of everything. Any ideas what I can use on the Wheel rims and tires?

Comment

you should see the work i did on some highway paint on an SUV with some super degreaser http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23467
          ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
          Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
          210-281-8151

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');