• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Covers- Good or Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Covers- Good or Bad

I was considering buying a car covers as i have to park my car outside. What are yall's opinions on car covers as i have heard both good and bad things about them?
    '00 Audi A4 1.8 T
    '09 Audi A4 2.0 T Quattro
    Attention to detail is the key to success
    Steve

Re: Car Covers- Good or Bad

Mine works fine as long as the finish is absolutely clean before I put it on. Otherwise, you will regret it. I'm sure the quality of the car cover will affect how it works too. Don't go out and get the cheapo ones from an auto parts store. I spent ~$300 on mine.

Comment

I'm forced to park my 350Z outside so I bought a Nissan cover for it (it's the top of the line made by CoverCraft). This car's my daily driver so the cover would be off-on at least 2x's a day (at home and at work).

My experience is that it caused as many problems as it prevented; scuff marks and micro-scratching where it abraded the paint, so now I don't use it. My car gets dirtier, faster but the finish, once washed, has remained clearer, longer.

I don't fault the cover, as it fit great, repelled water and kept bird/bug stuff off the car. It's just for my application, the off-on frequency accelerated the scratching. If this was just a weekend car, it would've been fine.

Comment

I only use it when I am away for several weeks, and I always wash before putting it on.

Mine is from Covercraft, and as Tyler said, very pricey, though not quite $300. I think mine approached $200.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I have a car cover for my BMW Z4 and like others have said I wash or make sure it clean before I put it on and I too have paid about $200 for mine. Always have to be aware of the Pennsylvania weather.
          Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
          Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
          Click and Like my Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
            I only use it when I am away for several weeks, and I always wash before putting it on.

Mine is from Covercraft, and as Tyler said, very pricey, though not quite $300. I think mine approached $200.
            Mine was a custom one though to fit my body kit, so that added to the price.

Comment

I used to have a car cover years ago before I got a proper garage. I found it worked well.

Like others have said the car needs to be clean before you put the cover on, but I found the cover itself also had to be kept clean. I used to hang it on the clothesline and shake it out and/or wash it regularly. This made for years of trouble-free use.
              Originally posted by Blueline
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

We've got a car cover for our '67 Jaguar. It's a Noah material car cover (super thick, water repellent, soft material). Works great at protecting the car from light scratches and bumps when we're getting tools out of the tool chest, or fishing through the freezer in the garage.

HOWEVER!!! The car cover holds dust like there's no tomorrow. Every time I take the car out for a drive, the Quick Detailer gets broken out, and a quick wipedown of the car takes place to get the dust particles off of the car. If I take the car out to a car show, I try to do a full detail the day before, then leave the cover off, but every once in a while we take it out to the local Starbucks for a cruise. That's when the QD gets used.

Comment

Car covers are very good........ It keep ur car safe from dust, scrateches and all other external effect.

It is quite good to use car cover for external and internal protection of your car.

Comment

I use cover as i don't have a proper garage. I put flannelette sheets on first, then the cover and find it helps reduce any possibility of marring. Also much easier to wash the sheets than the cover.
                    The Best Last Step, is the step backwards you take to admire your work!
                    Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                    If you use #7 on your car, you're not in good company... you're in GREAT company!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');