• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's #26 Long Term Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiar's #26 Long Term Test

This is a long term test of Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. It was applied to a Ford Escape, which is a daily driver. The paint has some imperfections, which will hopefully simulate realistic conditions. The test was started 3/3/2008.

I used Meguiar's Medallion Paint Cleaner on the surface to get the paint ready for the wax. I've had the MMPC around for some time, and like using it. It is quite oily, but seems to work well. As demonstrated here along with a UDM, it's so easy a 5 year old can do it. Please don't misconstrue this as child labor. He has signed all the required paperwork and is on contract until 2009.

April 3, 2008 - Finishing up with the paint cleaner The vehicle was washed using DP Extreme and softened water. The MMPC was applied using the UDM on speed 1 with a LC variable contour black finishing pad. Temps were around 50 degrees outside.

April 3, 2008 - Close Up Clarity Test - No Wax Applied The paint came up pretty clear after the MMPC was applied. There is a slight blur to the print on the UPC tag which is noticeable in the larger pic. The camera was on a tripod, hopefully eliminating any chance of operator induced picture blur.

April 3, 2008 - Distance Clarity Test - No Wax Applied The orange peel is quite noticeable on the images. Nice reflection, but it could be clearer.

April 3, 2008 - Close Up Clarity Test - Wax Applied The reflection is much clearer after the wax was applied. The orange peel is less noticeable, leading me to think the wax does a decent amount of filling. It must be those secret oils.

April 3, 2008 - Distance Clarity Test - Wax Applied The reflection comes up a little clearer on this reflection shot. Yes, I still have an old wooden ladder in my garage. It shakes and wobbles when I use it.

April 3, 2008 - Opinions I thought the wax looked fantastic after it was applied. It has a nice gloss and gives a very wet shine. It looks much better than the 3M Wax I tested earlier. The wax has a nice smell of strawberry-banana and looks like banana pudding according to my 5 year old.
    I thought it was not the easiest wax I've ever used, but it wasn't impossible. It reminded me of suntan lotion. I felt that I either had too much or too little. So far I am impressed with this product, especially in the appearance it provides.

April 3, 2008 - Opinions cont. I could never tell if I had the right amount, so I applied 2 coats just to be sure. After the wax hazed, it was very easy to wipe off. There were no issues with staining trim or any other nonsense. The wax cost me $13 which isn't too bad for how well it looks. I'm guessing though, that the bottle will empty quite soon because of its durability. I wanted to find some #26 paste wax to compare alongside just to see if there is any difference. Maybe next time.

April 3, 2008 - After Shot The car looks good afterwards, unfortunately it is still an Escape. We will be having a pool to see how long the wax lasts, and the winner gets the bottle with the remaining wax sent to them for free! That's almost comparable to a date with Paris Hilton and a camcorder.

*Must be 18 to enter. Many will enter, few will win. Odds are, you'll have fun. Please gamble responsibly.

Thanks for following along!

Re: Meguiar's #26 Long Term Test

That looks great. I really like #26 for darker paints myself. It is easy to buff off and never leaves any clouds like #21 does. Smells good too, great shine, does cover small imperfections. Thumbs up here as well.

Comment

Nice write up, 26 is a great wax. I've always wanted to try mppc.

Comment

Very nice test.
        You can see a more crisp reflection

Comment

Nice test you are doing. You have a whole lot of reflection there. Your escape looks good.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

I feel the 26 has really good durability , what makes you think it does not ? I've never heard that before.

Also M21 clouding ?? never heard that before either .

I've have and use both products , never thad either issue.

I also have a Black Ford Escape and 26 & 21 both look great and have held up extremely well.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I've only heard about the durability not lasting that long. That's what makes me think that. I want to be mire accurate in my assumptions, so I enjoy testing. I'll keep posting updates.

Comment

Nice Write up!
                SYDSTER

Comment

Originally posted by boogiejoe View Post
                  Thanks for the comments. I've only heard about the durability not lasting that long. That's what makes me think that. I want to be mire accurate in my assumptions, so I enjoy testing. I'll keep posting updates.
                  The write up and pics are excellent and I thank you for that.

Testing is half the fun I think , I do the same thing , people think I'm nuts.

I should mention with the durability , it's all in the eye's of the beholder and many , many weather , climate conditions can have an impact as you already know. I think the durability is nice , others expect durability to last for a year ....lol

Anyway , Nice job !!!!!!

Comment

I enjoy doing the test and I know that my test is pretty much limited to people living within the same type of environmental conditions and circumstances. My testing methods aren't exactly where I want them yet. I eventually hope to develop a system that everyone can use to factor in results from different climates and conditions.

I'm not a fan of ambiguous terms. I don't want to flavor the results with opinions. I enjoy opinions and think they bring some needed life to the evaluations. When it comes to performance, I think that more definite results work best. After you combine the two, then I think it makes a much more credible, informed and honest review of the product.

Thank you for all of the positive comments. I've been hesitant to put my reviews online because I did not think they were informative enough. I still don't, but that just gives me more room for improvement.

Thanks again!

Comment

Looks good so far, I have both 21 and 26 in my goodie bag and have used both. Itll be interesting following the thread.
                      Forever New
                      Mobile Detailing
                      Jacksonville, FL

Comment

how´s it holding up?
                        Arctic Detailing - Northern Norway
                        Facebook site http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...12239962147393

1996´AUDI S6 AVANT QUATTRO
                        00`S6 tip 92´S4q, 97´S6q, 97´A4q, 02´A4q, 76´ Audi50

Comment

Man I love #26. I've been using it on my cars and other cars for quite a few years and I still love it. I think it lasts a good amount. #20 and #21, maybe even NXT 2.0 may last longer but I think #26 leaves a much nicer shine and reflection.

Comment

The wax is still holding up nicely. Will have more pics soon.

Comment

Hey boogiejoe
                              I think your doing a fantastic job with your reviews/test!
                              This is what it's all about!!!!!

''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
                              You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
                              Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');