• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear Coating Rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Coating Rims?

Hello every one, I have another question and this one is pretty serous. I have noticed that the clear coating on my rims has started to pill off... It started this a long time ago. No, it was not me it looks like it started to pill a long time and has continued with out notice until today I went out to my car and noticed something hanging off my rims.

This is where the question comes in. Is there away to strip the old coat off and and replace it with a new one.

Re: Clear Coating Rims?

Sure, you can probably apply any quality paint stripper, generically referred to as Aircraft Quality Paint Remover, but any PBE store will have paint remover by the gallons and quarts, maybe even pints.

You brush this stuff on, it's usually has the consistency of a clear gel, and very quickly the paint on just about anything will start to soften and wrinkle and lift off.

That's the messy part but somewhat easy part. The hard part will be finding a painter that wants to mess with them, by this we mean prep and re-clear them for you.

So before you start, drop by 2-3 body shops and ask and see if you can find a shop that will even take the time to mess with them, most shops for the same amount of money will likely turn you down as there's plenty of insurance work to do, (normal body work and paint on new cars).

Besides the hassle of prepping and painting a set of wheels, they may not want to deal with an unhappy customer if they don't come out perfect.

But do stop by a body shop or two and ask if they will paint your wheels and post back here what you find out... Could be you could get lucky and find a shop that will be happy to tackle the project including stripping off the old paint.

Best of luck to you... what kind of wheels are they anyway?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but my Ultra Les Schwab specials are peeling the CC as well, I thought of stripping them and using HR Aluminum polish. The metal under the chipped/lifting CC looks terrible. They are machined CC.

Mine are the Ultra 50 wheels:

Some auto stores sell the spray can of clear coat that I may try on one wheel and go from there.....

Hope you get some good results on your wheels.
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I've heard so many stories about aftermarket wheels with a peeling clear coat.

If the body shop quotes are want to try it yourself.

Duplicolor makes some wheel paints that might be worth a shot.
        Chris
        Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

yeah, I think I saw Duplicolor paints made for wheels along with the CC. I thought of doing one wheel and see how it goes. Plan was to strip it, polish the bad spots, prep the metal then make a template to cover tires and spray it. It's cold here and still spitting snow on us up here but will try it when it warms up.

Aaron
          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            Sure, you can probably apply any quality paint stripper, generically referred to as Aircraft Quality Paint Remover, but any PBE store will have paint remover by the gallons and quarts, maybe even pints.

You brush this stuff on, it's usually has the consistency of a clear gel, and very quickly the paint on just about anything will start to soften and wrinkle and lift off.

That's the messy part but somewhat easy part. The hard part will be finding a painter that wants to mess with them, by this we mean prep and re-clear them for you.

So before you start, drop by 2-3 body shops and ask and see if you can find a shop that will even take the time to mess with them, most shops for the same amount of money will likely turn you down as there's plenty of insurance work to do, (normal body work and paint on new cars).

Besides the hassle of prepping and painting a set of wheels, they may not want to deal with an unhappy customer if they don't come out perfect.

But do stop by a body shop or two and ask if they will paint your wheels and post back here what you find out... Could be you could get lucky and find a shop that will be happy to tackle the project including stripping off the old paint.

Best of luck to you... what kind of wheels are they anyway?

Thank you for the reply and here are what my rims look like

Comment

update..

I forgot to add to the earlier one.

Is there away I can do this on my own or do I have to get a shop to do it for me?

If some one can add this addition to the other post and delete this one that would be great.

The rims are made out of Alloy and they are OEM type rims

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');