• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

By hand or DA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By hand or DA

Finally got my delivery. New 110 DA , deep crystal line, NXT 2.0 paste and other goodies inc. UQD,QD,clay etc.

Can Scratchx be applied with the Da? How many of you apply paste wax and/or remove it by hand as opposed to using the DA. On other sites I have been advised to ALWAYS apply and remove wax by hand. Why? If I use proper pad it seems like using DA would be fine. I would think the DA would buff better than I ever could.

Lastly, is the UQD "better" than QD? I use the QD with the clay and UQD for daily touch up, correct?

Re: By hand or DA

You can use ScratchX with the DA as long as it is the new version. It should say right on the bottle if it's safe for use with a DA.

You can apply any wax by hand or with a DA and finishing pad. You can also remove any wax with a microfiber bonnet over a pad. You don't really need to "buff" when you remove the wax. Removing the excess is really all your trying to do. Sometimes I apply wax by hand and sometimes with a DA, depending on the mood I'm in. To me applying a paste wax by hand is relaxing.

Correct, use QD for claying. UQD should not be used for claying.

Hope that helps! If you have any other questions, ask away.
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by drjay9051

Can Scratchx be applied with the Da?
      Yes. Use the 5.0 setting and understand that it is a very light cleaner by machine. Also read this before starting.

Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
      (These are all similar tools)

How many of you apply paste wax and/or remove it by hand as opposed to using the DA. On other sites I have been advised to ALWAYS apply and remove wax by hand. Why? If I use proper pad it seems like using DA would be fine. I would think the DA would buff better than I ever could.
      You are correct, the other sites you're visiting need to spend more time over here for better how-to information.

"The machine always outperforms the hand"

Lastly, is the UQD "better" than QD? I use the QD with the clay and UQD for daily touch up, correct?
      Not better, different. UQD is more of a high-end finishing treatment for your paint, it will make it clear, glossy, very slick and provides our hydrophobic technology making water bead up and want to get away. It's also $10.00 a bottle. Quik Detailer is great for all the things people have been using it for for the last 27 years and that's to remove light dust, fingerprints, smears and as a clay lube.

We don't recommend using UQD as a clay lube as it's too slick but also kind of costly as compared to QD
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey drjay,

Since this is your first post here, Welcome to MOL.

Check out the link that Mike posted in his reply to start. You can apply a paste wax with the DA. Like BlueZero said, it all depends on your mood. If you have extra time, waxing by hand is very relaxing. You can actually feel the paint and a welling of pride in the fact that you did do it by hand. On the other hand, if you want to get done a little faster, and correct some scratches or swirls, or are going for that "show car shine", use the DA. It will still take awhile, but the results will be amazing. You will still have the pride factor as you see people stop and stare at your flawless finish. Using the proper products and technique will help you restore or maintain the quality that you are looking for.

Andy
        101impala
        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I actually use a combination of both methods for applying and removing wax. I apply it with the DA. It goes on more evenly and I feel it is easier to apply a thin coat using the DA. I remove the wax by hand with a Supreme Shine Micro Fiber. For me it seems easier and I don't have to stop to switch or clean bonnets, just flip over the towel and keep going. It also feels easier to get into all the contours of the car with the towel vs the DA pad. Fliping to another clean surface on the MF is quicker and you can continue removing product. Plus I like feeling the slickness with the towel on my hand and seeing the deep rich shine come to the surface as the wax is removed.

UQD is great for maintenance but I don't use it for claying normally. I did once and it worked ok but the ony reason it was done was because I ran out of QD and was almost finished with claying so rather than running to the store for more I finished up with the UQD. That's not my normal process though.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');