• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob Q: Metallic Black Car - is this a good combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob Q: Metallic Black Car - is this a good combo?

(I posted this in another thread of mine, but it was off topic, so...)

I do not have much time too spend detailing my car, but would like a good enough detaling system that will keep my black Honda looking good.

As such, after reading through many posts here – I've come up with the following steps and products:

1) NXT wash weekly (twice a week during rainy seasons)
    2) ScratchX (when swirls become noticeable)
    3) Meguiars Cleaner Wax (once every 6 weeks)
    4) Meguiars Quick Wax Spray (once every 2 weeks)

Ultimate Wipes are incredibly expensive in my country – but I've found reasonably good microfibre clothes (withstood the CD test) to use.

My questions are:
    1) Are these products a good match?
    Understand that Cleaner Wax is a 'combo' product, as such will not be as effective as using 2 separate products. Will Quick Wax Spray help the shine?
    ScratchX + Cleaner Wax - overkill? Any other comments, suggestions?

2) Quick Wax Spray - does it bead or sheet? From reading up, I would assume sheeting is preferable for black cars, as beading stains would be an issue.

3) For the amount of time I'm planning to spend (see steps above) – is this about the best combo I can go for, Meguiar's only, and at reasonable cost?

My car's under 6 months old, so paint's in good condition (save for some swirl marks caused by the dealer and some instances where I was given a 'free' car washes during servicing ).

Any input would be appreciated!

well I think that is a good start with all the stuff you already have.. can you post some pictures? I have an black honda too.. and in the very first beginning of my detail days .. I started with only a bottle of gold class wax and a 100% cotton terry towel cloth. So i see you are much more prepared in the fight against dirt and swirls and every imaginable nasty things attacking the finisch of your car....

in my opnion go for it

Comment

that sounds like a good plan. do you already have these products? If not I would suggest replacing the cleaner wax with nxt tech wax, and the spray wax I would replace with nxt spray booster wax. you will get incrediable results with nxt on black. using the nxt combo with the time frame you laid out you should have one heck of a well maintaned car.
      2019 GMC Sierra
      1500 AT4

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I've just noticed that my bonnet has some pretty bad swirls. GAAAH! Seems to have been caused by my first try at claying...sigh!

Need to break out the ScratchX again this weekend.

Regarding the claying, is it true to say that if you have a black car, you'll be lucky to not get any scratches from claying, even if you're really careful? (turning clay over, re-kneading, fresh clay, lots of lubricant, etc...)

Anyhow, will try to post some pictures soon when my car's done up enough!

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');