• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Detailing - A New Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Detailing - A New Car

I'd like to thank Meguiar's for posting the instructional videos on their website. Very useful information that was used along with some tips from the guys over at IMBOC.com

Because my car is new (Mustang Bullitt), I simply washed (Gold Class) and waxed (Liquid Gold Class). The cleaning and polishing steps did not appear necessary, but I was prepared to do these steps if needed. My interpretation from the videos is that these steps are not always necessary for a new car simply because the finish has not been abused yet. However, some new cars will need this depending on how conditions were when transported by truck/rail. The dealer did want to sell me a Xzilon treatment, but I decided against this based on input from my IMBOC.com buddies.

Wal-Mart had the Meguiar's products that I used, except for the towels.

I washed the car with the method suggested from the videos. However, I decided to dry the car by patting it down with terry towels. While the water did bead up nicely on the new finish, I am convinced that wiping a car dry can still do damage to the clearcoat by creating streaks, swirls, etc., so I pat dry. Beaded water may still carry some debris in it. Hence, debris that is entrained in the water may put fine scratches in the clearcoat when wiped. By patting it dry, I am simply lifting the bead of water up with any debris attached to it and depositing it on the towel. This does leave some slight water spots on the car, but these can lifted out by with a very, very slightly moist towel followed immediately with a dry towel. You need lots of towels to do this. After the washing, the car looked so good I was tempted not to wax it, but it's a new car and it needs its wax. The washing did its job well. There was lots of yellow pollen dust on the car prior to washing, and some road dirt on the lower parts of the car, wheel wells, etc.

After washing, I applied the wax, again using the method described in the videos. I let it dry as prescribed, and then rubbed it off by hand using microfiber towels. Lots of towels too. As my hands got sweaty and dampened the towels, I would swap out the towels for dry ones. I use a towel in each hand. Both are used to take the wax off, but more importantly, I can support myself on the car without leaving hand prints. So using two towels is also like having two gloves on. The car looks incredible! Better than new! And it is new!

Unfortunately, I am headed out of town this morning, so the car is in the garage waiting for my return. My wife will probably drive it a couple of times to keep the battery charged, etc., so I gave her some instructions for the maintenance step. This is to use the California duster on the car after she drives it, and that if any dirt gets on the car to simply use the Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer and a microfiber cloth. I bought a Tupperware tub that I keep in the trunk of the car that has all the car care products in it, including my towels.

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. I also use Meguiar's products on my motorcycle (Honda CB250 Nighthawk).

Re: My First Detailing - A New Car

Sounds like you're well on the way to becoming certifiably car crazy. I'd suggest having your wife leave things alone...dust, dirt, etal until the maniac of the house returns to just do a proper wash. This will keep harmony in the family and the cars finish in the shape you desire.

Mort

Comment

Originally posted by Mort Corey View Post

Sounds like you're well on the way to becoming certifiably car crazy. I'd suggest having your wife leave things alone...dust, dirt, etal until the maniac of the house returns to just do a proper wash. This will keep harmony in the family and the cars finish in the shape you desire.

Mort
      Lol! She kinda told me the same thing. "I ain't touching it!" I told her it was okay, but that she needed to keep the battery charged, so she should drive it and then do the maintenance phase. I also explained that we all have to take certain risks in life, and that I am sure she would be successful in meeting this challenge

I also asked her if she wanted to watch the the three part video series again with me and learn about the five steps, but she passed on the opportunity. I couldn't believe it!

Comment

You should be ok on the battery. My 2002 tahoe sometimes sits a couple weeks w/o being moved (3rd car) and I've never had a problem w/ the battery.
        I'm crafty, but not good at crafts.

Comment

Well you story sounds familiar. Tell your wife just wait. By next year your car crazyness will be worse. lol
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Mustang Bullit!!!! Pics! Pics! Pleeeeeease post some pics. I'm dying over here.

:-)

Comment

Love the new Bullitt, Fun car I got to drive one, Awesome. The battery will be fine, These new batteries have so much greater durability. It should not die. If you want to keep the battery at its optimal level, I suggest getting a battery tender.
              Alex
              1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
              1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
              1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Here are some pictures as requested. However, these were taken before the detailing. I am on travel status now, so can't take any pictures post-detail until I get back to the USA ,since I didn't taken any right after finishing the detail but before leaving. By the time I get back, the car will need another wash and wax, so I will post pictures then. I'm excited about getting back just so I can detail the car again!

I'm going to practice the clay and polish steps on my '91 Honda and '01 Jetta when I get back . That's them behind and next to the Bullitt. The Honda could really use a claying.

Comment

That is sweeeet! I love that it doesn't have a spoiler (even though I like the Mustang spoiler). This makes it look so much more retro and 70's. Love those black wheels.

Thanks for the pics.

Hey, if you're afraid with your wife driving it and cleaning it, I'll be more than happy to accommodate your pony while you're gone if you live anywhere near Miami....

Comment

That Mustang is such an investment, keep it and never sell it.
                    Alex
                    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
                    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
                    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

And here is my little red bike

Comment

Your Mustang looks great. They are such good looking cars. Congrats.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                          Your Mustang looks great. They are such good looking cars. Congrats.

Great Ride!
                          SYDSTER

Comment

Very nice ride!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');