• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What year was the last year that auto manufactures used single stage paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What year was the last year that auto manufactures used single stage paint?

I had a 1992 Ford Explorer (deep burgundy) that was single stage paint.
    Mark
    1969 Mustang Mach 1 428CJ
    1988 Mustang LX 5.0 Conv
    2002 F150 Harley Davidson
    2003 Mustang Mach 1 4.6 DOHC

Comment

I will look into that, I bought a sanding mask so when I sand off the old paint on my bird to be cautious about if it has lead or not.
      Alex
      1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
      1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
      1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

FWIW, I don't believe that Lexus uses SS paint. I've done several black onyx Lexus models from 2004 on up and none had SS paint.
        Jim
        My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab View Post
          FWIW, I don't believe that Lexus uses SS paint. I've done several black onyx Lexus models from 2004 on up and none had SS paint.
          I know there have been some details on here of the IS300 models and they all (IIRC) had SS paint. All I know, is that I really enjoy working with SS paint much better than BC/CC. Maybe I should just repaint my car SS? Then everything would turn black, not that that's a bad thing...

Comment

BMW still produces cars with Jet Black paint (no clear) - not to be confused with Saphire Black
            My eunos 30x Sport (or MX-3 to you guys) was last made in 1996 and is SS
            All people give pleasure : some when they arrive, others when they leave

Comment

My 1995 Black Toyota Avalon is SS.

In response to white, I have found that at least one white pearl (Lincoln/Mercury) is a three stage paint . . . GM/Cadillac list the "White Diamond" color as tricoat, which entails a three step process (pigment, "pearling" and cc).

I would think two stage and "tricoat" production finishes would all be handled in the same way . . . deal with the clear coat!
              Have you diminished your abrasives today?
              Wilson's Precision Detailing

Comment

I have a 92 Honda Prelude and it is a White SS paint. Confirmed in the Honda tech sheet. It will be interesting when I buff out the car this weekend.

Comment

Although CC has a higher shine , a SS black and red will have more depth if polished right.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');