• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question regarding microfiber polishing cloths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding microfiber polishing cloths

Hey guys,

I've finally gotten my black '03 Vette fully polished (no swirls, scratches, etc.) and I'm really happy with the results. So tonight I noticed that a little of the second coat of NXT 2.0 on my hood had not been completely removed with the microfiber bonnet on my G100.

I have several microfiber polishing cloths from Griot's Garage in my arsenal which are brand new. I've never had much luck with cheaper microfiber products in the past having experienced light scratching with any that I've previously used.

I pulled out one of the plushest ones tonight and, using a little spray detailer, wiped a small area on my hood. I noticed very fine, long scratches following this. I will have to repolish lightly with #80 and follow with wax I suppose now.

I am really confused and not happy at all now.

What microfiber polishing cloth can I buy that will absolutely not scratch the clear coat on my black car?

I'm looking right now at the Supreme Shine Microfiber, Cobra microfiber polishing cloth, DragonFibre microfiber, DF Concours towels, Meg's Cotton Terry towels, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I know that you're supposed to look for 200,000 strands per square inch and a good mixture of the fiber content. Meg's doesn't list theirs, but I've done a bunch of searches here tonight and read that they are very good. The DragonFibre microfiber cloth I was looking at has 220,000 strands.

I saw Mike's DVD on polishing out the black '60 Vette and noted that he used both the microfibers and the terry towels. Any thoughts on the comparison of those?

Thanks in advance guys. I just want to buy some high quality microfibers or cotton towels that I can use with confidence. Am I just expecting too much on a black car? I would like to be able to wipe down the highly polished black surface and not worry about immediately scratching everything.

Christian

Re: Question regarding microfiber polishing cloths

The fact that it is black, are you sure it just isn't some streaking?

Comment

I really don't think so, although I really hope you're right so I'll check on it again! HAHA. What I saw were several fine "scratches", the kind that pick up the light off the halogens really nicely. Can you wipe the surface of your black Roush down with microfibers without ANY scratching? What kind are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

I can. I use Meguiar's Supreme Shine, the towels that ADS sells, and I have even used the Wal-Mart ones with success.

I tend not to QD the car that much, since in the past it has led to swirls and holograms (with black, it takes very, very little). There are only certain times that I will wipe down the car with QD and a MF. I'd rather let it get dirty, and have to wash it with soap and water than chance it. I cleaned, polished, and waxed my roof and A and C pillars a while back, and they are just now starting to show a tiny bit of swirling. I have probably only used QD on them about 2-3 times.

Comment

I hear you man -- and thanks for the tips. I think I'll pick up some of the Meg's Supreme Shine microfibers instead. I just don't think I'll trust these ones that I have again now. It really bugs me actually. I only used the spray detailing solution this time because of the little area of smeared NXT.

If I want to clear up those new little scratches should I just go over the area once with 80 and then hit it with NXT twice again or do I need to redo the whole hood for an even appearance?

Christian

Comment

I use Griot's orange MFs with QD (now UQD), on my Chrysler Brilliant Black paint every few days without issue, and I have recently had a xenon light that confirms this. The Griot's MFs are single sided, so are you sure that you didn't contact the back?
            2006 Chopped and Dropped Dodge Grand Caravan SXT

Comment

Absolutely. I folded the orange one in 4ths, to get some padding under my hand, and made sure that only the correct side was on the paint. I really can't figure it out. The car was perfectly clean having just had its second coat of NXT applied 2 days prior. It was sitting in my garage so I'm sure that there was some dust there, but that was all. Really strange...

Comment

Originally posted by acr-c View Post
                I hear you man -- and thanks for the tips. I think I'll pick up some of the Meg's Supreme Shine microfibers instead. I just don't think I'll trust these ones that I have again now. It really bugs me actually. I only used the spray detailing solution this time because of the little area of smeared NXT.

If I want to clear up those new little scratches should I just go over the area once with 80 and then hit it with NXT twice again or do I need to redo the whole hood for an even appearance?

Christian
                If they are scratches, and you just did the whole car, you can just "spot treat," so to speak.

If you really want to know, get another towel and wipe another section right next to it. If it scratches, then perhaps it is the towel, and you can easily get that section cleaned up while doing the other since they are side by side. If not, then I'd guess something somehow got stuck to the leftover wax or even the towel.

Comment

I've never had a problem with Cobra or Meguiars MF towels. I did get some scratching from some cheaper off brand ones though.
                  Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by acr-c View Post
                    Hey guys,

I know that you're supposed to look for 200,000 strands per square inch and a good mixture of the fiber content. Meg's doesn't list theirs, but I've done a bunch of searches here tonight and read that they are very good. The DragonFibre microfiber cloth I was looking at has 220,000 strands.
                    Christian
                    Don't get too hung up on strands per inch...There are many factors that lead to the quality of a microfiber....There can be M/F cloths with higher strands per inch, but they won't be as good as M/F cloth with a lower number of strands per inch.... it is not
                    as easy as buying sheets for your bed

Your doing the right thing by reaching out and going with a specific towel that others have had great experiences with...

Mike
                    Mike Pennington
                    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
                    Meguiar's, Inc.
                    800-854-8073
                    mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

I like the concept of the "spot treat" a lot more than doing the whole stinking hood again!! HAHA.

Thanks man.

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                        I've never had a problem with Cobra or Meguiars MF towels. I did get some scratching from some cheaper off brand ones though.
                        The thing that's weird is that the ones that I was using are not very cheap, I don't think. $30 for 6 of them, getting a little discount by buying them in a pack of 6.

I'll try the Meg's Supreme Shine I think. They are only $6.59 for a 2 pack. That's not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                          Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
                          Don't get too hung up on strands per inch...There are many factors that lead to the quality of a microfiber....There can be M/F cloths with higher strands per inch, but they won't be as good as M/F cloth with a lower number of strands per inch.... it is not
                          as easy as buying sheets for your bed

Your doing the right thing by reaching out and going with a specific towel that others have had great experiences with...

Mike

Thanks for the info on the strands per inch issue Mike. I really don't know squat about the strands except for what I've read on the internet. I am fully aware of how dangerous that can be!!

Sheets for my bed??? You assume that I know about thread count on bedding?? Oops, I just said "thread count"...That's my wife's fault though man!!

I am leaining towards giving some of your Supreme Shine microfibers a try. I would just love to be able to wipe off polish residue, spray detailer, clean water after washing the car, etc. without having to dread causing scratches. I am really getting tired of the stress every time I move the cloth across the surface.

Mike, would you recommend going with your 100% terry or Supreme Shine microfibers for a really, really "scratch sensitive" clear coat like that on my black C5? I don't need to go with microfibers if 100% terry is still the king of not causing scratches. Maybe I should have started this thread that way...

Thanks,
                          Christian

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');