• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need to remove swirl marks without machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to remove swirl marks without machine

is there anyway to do this? what product will work? i have never used a machine so i dont want to do it that way, i would rather do it by hand. is it possible?

Re: need to remove swirl marks without machine

Originally posted by stangAtang View Post
    is there anyway to do this? what product will work? i have never used a machine so i dont want to do it that way, i would rather do it by hand. is it possible?
    yes as long as the scratches are not to deep its pretty easy. I would highly recomend Scratch X. I have done it all by hand many times.
    here is the process i have done many times by hand it it always worked for me.
    1. Wash
    2. Clay bar or at least use a paint cleaner ( deep Crystal )
    3. Scratch X with a microfiber pad by hand
    4. Scratch X with a foam pad by hand
    5. Pure polish ( Deep Crystal )
    6. finalize with a nice coat of NXT Tech Wax 2.0
    I have found the the microfiber pad takes out the scratches alot faster. depending on the depth of the scratches you might have to go over it a second time with a micro just remember to put a little muscle behind it. then the foam applicator will really just top it off. Anyways just my sugestion if your a little new to it.
    ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
    Jon's Premium Auto Detailing
    210-281-8151

Comment

. I have done many cars just using a tube of ScatchX. It is hard and rough, but it works!

EL
      Erick Lawson

2007 Ford F-150 / 2004 Infiniti G35

Comment

Scratch-x would do it. Numerous applications and alot of passion(elbow grease).
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

would colorX do the same job as scratchX?

Comment

Originally posted by bluey View Post
            would colorX do the same job as scratchX?
            No, ColorX and Scratch X are completly different. ColorX is a cleaner wax that will help take care of some of that oxidation it will not take out scratches and swirl marks.
            ""Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will be judged by only one thing - the result." - Vince Lombardi
            210-281-8151

Comment

Originally posted by Derrickg32069 View Post
              No, ColorX and Scratch X are completly different. While ColorX will help take care of some of that oxidation it will not take out scratches and swirl marks.
              Not sure I understand how ColorX can remove oxidation but have no effect on scratches and swirl marks.
              Does this mean scratchX will remove the scratches and also the oxidation?

Comment

Originally posted by bluey View Post
                Not sure I understand how ColorX can remove oxidation but have no effect on scratches and swirl marks.
                Does this mean scratchX will remove the scratches and also the oxidation?
                yes scratchX can remove both scratches and oxidation with its diminishing abrasives. ColorX on the other hand has chemical cleaners but no abrasives so it can take out the oxidation but with my experience it has not affect on the scratches
                210-281-8151

Comment

now dont get me wrong colorX is a great product and can help reduce the apearance of fine scratches and swirl marks but if you are looking to get rid of the scratches completely then you want to stick with ScratchX or move on to some of Meguiars compounds and polishes with diminshing abrasives
                  210-281-8151

Comment

Originally posted by Derrickg32069 View Post
                    yes scratchX can remove both scratches and oxidation with its diminishing abrasives. ColorX on the other hand has chemical cleaners but no abrasives so it can take out the oxidation but with my experience it has not affect on the scratches
                    Just to chime in....

Meguiar's ColorX can remove mild swirls and light scratches as it does contain both chemical cleaners as well as diminishing abrasives. ColorX is considered a strong cleaner/wax and can do amazing things! Now with that said, ScratchX is stronger and is the better choice for removing deep swirls and moderate scratches by hand.

Keep in mind, some scratches and/or swirls may be too deep or too difficult to remove and may require a machine polisher like the G-110 or even a rotary to remove all of the marring.

I hope that helps!

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                      Just to chime in....

Meguiar's ColorX can remove mild swirls and light scratches as it does contain both chemical cleaners as well as diminishing abrasives. ColorX is considered a strong cleaner/wax and can do amazing things! Now with that said, ScratchX is stronger and is the better choice for removing deep swirls and moderate scratches by hand.

Keep in mind, some scratches and/or swirls may be too deep or too difficult to remove and may require a machine polisher like the G-110 or even a rotary to remove all of the marring.

I hope that helps!

Tim
                      Thanks for that, my bad man its been a while since i used ColorX and i dint remember it having diminishing abrasives. Well learn something new everyday
                      210-281-8151

Comment

whats up people, im new to this forum and never been on a detailing forum either, so im new this type of stuff, i just picked up a really clean lookin velocity red rx8 and i wanna learn to keep it clean so thats why im here....just got a ? i picked up some scratch x cus it said it was a swirl remover, how do i apply this?? circular motion are side to side?

Comment

Originally posted by dozer View Post
                          whats up people, im new to this forum and never been on a detailing forum either, so im new this type of stuff, i just picked up a really clean lookin velocity red rx8 and i wanna learn to keep it clean so thats why im here....just got a ? i picked up some scratch x cus it said it was a swirl remover, how do i apply this?? circular motion are side to side?
                          You can rub in straight lines or circle motions as long as the product you're using, the applicator material you're using and your technique are not putting scratches into the paint.

ScratchX is non-abrasive, so just make sure the surface is clean, your applicator is clean and you're not pushing down on the applicator like a Gorilla.

Check out these threads...

The Definitive ScratchX Thread Collection

Great ScratchX Questions Thread!

Circles or Straight Lines?

If you ever have some free time, the above are just three threads from the "Hot Topics" forum.

From the homepage of the forum...

Have Questions? Looking for Answers?
                          So much good, practical and helpful information in these two forums
                          Hot Topics
                          How To Articles

p.s.

When working out swirls by hand using ScratchX you need to ONLY work a small section at a time, usually no larger than a foot squared and if the paint is hard and the swirls are deep than smaller than this.

Thus the reason DA polishers are so popular, they do the work for you and do it faster.

p.p.s.

Always do a Test Spot and check your results before going over the entire car.

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Here's step by step...

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"