• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burn marks on plastic from buffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burn marks on plastic from buffer

My uncle has an 07' Pacifica and there are some plastic body parts on the car and before he came down here from michigan he paid a local guy to detail his car and the guy managed to "burn" a couple of spots on the plastic. Is there any thing I can do to get burn marks off of plastic?

Re: Burn marks on plastic from buffer

About the best you could do is dress it and hope it hides it a bit.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Sometimes you can improve them sometimes you can't, it just depends on how deep they are and kind of your skill level and arsenal of tools.

One simple thing you could try would be to get a tube of ScratchX and rub the paint out on and around these burn marks and see if you can improve them at all. Do a little test and remember how the area looked before you start rubbing on it, the rub a little, (a test), wipe off the residue and determine if a little rubbing made the area look a little better. If it did, then it could be a lot of rubbing may make it look a lot better.

You don't know what you can do until you try"

So pick up a tube of ScratchX and do a little testing to see if you can improve these burn areas.

Sometimes the burn is actually a type of marring where the backing plate is touched against the finish and actually transfers itself to your car's paint, in these cases, rubbing with ScratchX will tend to remove this transferred material and thus fix the visual problem. If paint on your car has actually been burned or removed then no amount of cleaning and polishing is going to add new paint to where paint is now missing.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hmm.. is it painted palstic or that black/gray plastic cladding? I assumed the cladding?
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          Hmm.. is it painted plastic or that black/gray plastic cladding? I assumed the cladding?
          Was thinking they are painted components, if they are pebble textured plastic trim components then you're answer is better, not much can be doe restore the original look to pebble textured plastic after it's been burned.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');