• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice with light scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice with light scratches

Hello everyone. I bought a new black Ford Fusion a couple of months ago. It's too cold to wash by hand around here this time of year so I brought my car to the local all cloth car wash about 5 times in the last 2 months. I've noticed when it's in the sun, I can see very light scratches in the paint. Nothing too bad but annoying as this is my first brand new car and wanted the paint to look show room fresh as long as possible. When it gets warmer, what would be the best process to get rid of the scratches. I don't want to do anything too aggressive yet cause the car is brand new. And I'll be doing it by hand. By the way, I know it's almost sinful to use an automated carwash but I couldn't resist getting all the salt and dirt off from snow plowed streets. Thanks

Re: Need advice with light scratches

If what you are seeing are swirls then you could try Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner or ScratchX.

Read this threads carefully so you can understand some concepts and correct your problem as soon as possible.
    Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
    How To Remove Swirls By Hand
    How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX
    Two Bucket Method - a little how to and proof...

Comment

Going to that car wash could be part of where the scratches came from.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Some additional choices if working by hand would be #80 and #2 but these are in the professional line and harder to find in your local store. They also work better with a machine like the DA polisher but are safe to use by hand. They are more agressive than the ScratchX but not to the point they will damage your finish.

Until you try a product and see the results its hard to determine which one will work best with your paint. I would suggest starting with ScratchX since it is readily available in consumer stores. If that doesn't seem to do the trick then step up to one of the products I mentioned. Before moving up to a more aggressive product, make sure you at least try multiple passes with the ScratchX.

<------ I am currently polishing the car in my avatar with a DA polisher and am making 2 passes with #80 to remove the scratches rather than trying a more agressive product so sometimes that's just what it takes.

Comment

Have you applied any wax to the paint since you bought it?

If not, to start with, you could just get a quality car wash, quality wash mitt, some soft, quality drying towles and after washing and drying your car, apply a coat of our new NXT Tech Wax 2.0

You'll be amazed how great the paint will look just by waxing it alone.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I am in the same boat. I bought a new JET BLACK car back in December and have washed it three times. When the sun hits it dead on I see this sheen/spider marks/swirl marks and it drives me crazy. I can see every little scratch in the right light. In the shade it is one beautiful car. Nothing is better than black but a bear to keep looking perfect. I too want a showroom shine and have been directed to Scratch X, Quik Detailer and NXT wax. I have tried the Scratch X and Quik Detailer and after the job is done it looks great. I still see the marks in the right sun light. I am going to give Scratch X/Quik Detailer another ride with some extra elbow grease. Good luck.

Comment

Remember, a paint cleaner like ScratchX is not a 'finishing' product so you won't realize the maximum benefits of your work until you apply the wax and then inspect.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                Have you applied any wax to the paint since you bought it?

If not, to start with, you could just get a quality car wash, quality wash mitt, some soft, quality drying towles and after washing and drying your car, apply a coat of our new NXT Tech Wax 2.0

You'll be amazed how great the paint will look just by waxing it alone.

So the weather broke yesterday. Sun came out and temp went up to 51. So I washed my car with Deep Crystal Car Wash, then waxed with NXT 2.0 all over followed by Gold Class on horizontal surfaces. The results were amazing. It actually looked like my black paint was black chrome in certain areas! I don't care that it's supposed to rain for the next 4 days, it'll give me an excuse to do it again! Pic doesn't do justice to real life.

Comment

Glad everything worked and your car looks great!

Comment

With a new black car is it necessary to purchase a polisher or can I maintain that new shine without scratches by hand?

Comment

The Fusion looks great by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by tgallimore View Post
                        With a new black car is it necessary to purchase a polisher or can I maintain that new shine without scratches by hand?
                        As long as you wash it carefully, don't let other people wash it, not even the 100% Hand Car Wash down the road, then you shouldn't be instilling swirls and scratches and thus you shouldn't need a machine to remove the swirls and scratches.

Reality is that over time you will instill light swirls and scratches and if you don't keep a coat of wax on the paint they will become more and more visible in good lighting.

So wash carefully and wax often and you'll keep that new car look.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');