• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibly Going Mobile. Opinions on Truck & Setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly Going Mobile. Opinions on Truck & Setup?

What do you guys think a good Detailing work truck would be? I'm thinking an SUV. I'll most likely be going mobile in about a year or so and I'd like to get something to pull the trailer. Maybe the new Honda Element? I'm looking to keep the prices reasonable. Just wondering what you guys think. Of course it will be black and will sport some airbrushed graphics on it and the trailer to match.
    and honestly I'm not sure if I'm even allowed to have a full size van here if it's a company van b/c our homeowners association here are real strict. (annoyingly)
    Luckily though, I have a privacy fence and I can store a trailer on the side of the house. Hopefully.
    I can't even park my motorcycle in the driveway.

Also, for those of you that are mobile, do you mind posting up the setup in your truck or trailer? I'd like to get some organizational idea's for how to set mine up.

And is it very advantageous to have your own water and power supply? Do you generally not have access to that when doing mobile work?

Anything about mobile detailing tips are much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Wiseguys Auto Detailing

Serving North Florida

Re: Possibly Going Mobile. Opinions on Truck & Setup?

Honda elements are great cars.
    the seats are easily removed, so stowing gear would probably be no problem.
    You could also look at the smaller CRV-or larger pilot.

-nick
    Luck is probability taken personally!

Comment

I have yet to check on prices, but I want something relatively new, gets good gas mileage, but also has some power since I'll be pulling a trailer and an occasional boat (if I still have it by then)
      oh, and I don't want something with a lot of plastics on it. the older elements are horrible IMO. Xterra's are also no good.
      Wiseguys Auto Detailing

Serving North Florida

Comment

How much you willing to spend? I think there are a lot of vehicle that will work but with gas prices only rising I think a vehicle with good gas milage is very important. How about a Rav4 or CRV? How big is your boat and how big of a trailer to you plan to pull?

Rasky
        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

I would first read the HOA CC&R's...if you plan on living there and want to avoid a real hassle. I know that my association won't allow trucks/vans with any kind of business name (other than people coming to do service) but they're not to strict on a day to day basis. If your people are sticklers for every small infraction, then you might want to consider some kind of pre-approval.

Most of the mobile pro's in my area carry their own water tank. The water here is pretty hard and they don't want to fight spots any more than necessary. I'm not sure of the name, but I think it's de-ionized water....I think my window washer uses the same stuff in his tank.

With the price of gas heading ever upward, you might have to raise your prices before you even start.

Mort

Comment

I think the Pilot is almost too nice to buy just as a detailing van. I guess if you get the base model than its probably fine. The Elements can't tow that much (1,500lbs). I know you said SUV, but what about something like the Ranger or Tacoma? The Ranger can tow up to 6,000lbs and is relatively cheap and gets good gas mileage. The Tacoma is very reliable, gets good gas mileage and can tow about 5,500lbs.

I know you said SUV, but just look at those two as well...

Ryan
            Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

I don't know why but for some reason I thought the Element came w/ a V6 option, but it doesn't. It's set up to be a nice work vehicle though. The side doors are great. If you don't need a full size van and want good value and fuel economy, it looks great. Thanks for the input guys. It'll be a while so we'll see how it works out. Maybe something else will come out by then.
              Wiseguys Auto Detailing

Serving North Florida

Comment

Well I do love the new element, I researched the full size vans and for the price it just can't be beat. Plus then I wouldn't even need a trailer. Hmm.
                Wiseguys Auto Detailing

Serving North Florida

Comment

Congrats on the new element. I hope it serves you well.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

So did you pickup an Element? Dont forget there are the smaller van options as well such as the Chevy Astro. I'm looking at one vs a full size. I need to make a decision this week, hope it goes well down there in St Auggy, im up in Jax.
                    Forever New
                    Mobile Detailing
                    Jacksonville, FL

Comment

Oh no, I didn't get an Element! I was just saying I LOVE the new ones! I think for starts I'll go with a full size van since they are nicely priced. Later on I might go w/ the Element if it's still to my taste or needs. A Mid or full size van would be all I need (no trailer) and I can get a nice one for about $10k compared to $20k for a new Element, plus a trailer if I went that route. Though at least the Element can be used pretty much all the time.
                      I'm not doing any Mobile Detailing yet. I'm working on getting a location w/ a performance shop here in town. If that flops I'll go mobile.

The Chevy Astro is nice too. Just find something that gets good gas mileage since that's a huge cost for mobile detailers. Pass the cost savings to your customers.
                      Forever, do you have any other people that work for you? I'm looking into it since some full details can take a good 20 man hrs.
                      Wiseguys Auto Detailing

Serving North Florida

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');