• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a chance to use a DeWalt buffer yesterday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a chance to use a DeWalt buffer yesterday...

I think I'm changed man! I've always used Makita's, and I've never had an issue with them. My cord messed up yesterday, and I had to use someone elses DeWalt.

I don't know what it is about the DeWalt, but the design is so much more user freindly. Is just more comfortable to me. Not to mention, there's no lag when the power comes on. With the Makita, it slowly gets up to speed. With the DeWalt, it's there as soon as you hit the trigger.

I'm ordering a new DeWalt right now

Nick
    2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
    2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
    2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Re: Got a chance to use a DeWalt buffer yesterday...

Hey Nick,

That is why I use the Dewalt for compounding and the Makita for polishing duties. I just like the feel of the Dewalt for heavy compounding; it just feels right.

My detailing cart....

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Always new there was a reason Mike and Tim had dewalts laying around their garage...
      Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
      ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
      (269)650-2242

Comment

A couple threads about this topic:

I prefer the DeWalt...
        Kevin Brown
        NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
          My detailing cart....

Tim, great cart! Where you got it / which one is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
            Tim, great cart! Where you got it / which one is it?

Hi Zoran,

I bought the cart at a local automotive store and then added Meguiar's stickers to it. I just love having the cart set up and ready to go at all times as it makes detailing so much easier....

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I could only hope to be so organized! Maybe that's why it takes me forever to buff my car. The DeWalt is quite a bit heavier so I can see where it would be better for heavy compounding. I really like that handle on the DeWalt! Does that come standard with it? I wonder if it would fit my Makita and if it can be purchased separately.

RamAirV1
              2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

The handle is the Meguiar's G-500. It was discontinued a while back, but you can find them here and there - or Kevin Brown has a few.

Unfortunately, the handle doesn't work with the Makita. The thread sizes are different.

I've been thinking of modifying my Makita handle, so I'll let you know what comes up.
                Chris
                Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
                  The handle is the Meguiar's G-500. It was discontinued a while back, but you can find them here and there - or Kevin Brown has a few.

Unfortunately, the handle doesn't work with the Makita. The thread sizes are different.

I've been thinking of modifying my Makita handle, so I'll let you know what comes up.
                  I thought the thread size might be an issue. Thanks for the clarification. The side handle works just fine and I will just stay with that. I have the hoop handle too and will have to try that just for kicks.

RamAirV1
                  2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
                    The handle is the Meguiar's G-500. It was discontinued a while back, but you can find them here and there - or Kevin Brown has a few. Unfortunately, the handle doesn't work with the Makita. The thread sizes are different. I've been thinking of modifying my Makita handle, so I'll let you know what comes up.
                    Jason Rose said that Meguiar's originally offered three different adapters, allowing a person to thread the handle onto the Milwaukee, the Makita, and some other brand that I can't recall. I've never seen them, and would be concerned that an adapter would add another inch or so to the length of the handle.

I've been wanting to modify a dozen or two of the G500's to fit Makita's.

It can de done by jigging the part of the handle that the threaded shaft is cast into. If I did a quantity run of them, it would drop the price a little bit. Unfortunately, by the time I take in to account the cost of the handle, the machining, a small profit, and add shipping, I'm guessing the price of the G500 (served Makita-style) would be $34-$42.

Once I have the jig made (not hard to do), I could then offer the handle for any thread size- Metabo, Makit, Milwaukee, whatever!
                    Kevin Brown
                    NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                      Once I have the jig made (not hard to do), I could then offer the handle for any thread size- Metabo, Makit, Milwaukee, whatever!
                      Depending on a solution I would be interested in one for Hitachi.

Comment

Kevin, I would be very interested if you do make a run of adjustable handles for the Makita.

I'm sure many others would be interested, too.
                        Chris
                        Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

I went from having a 9227 to a DW849.

I have really no complaints. I don't usually have to spend a ton of time doing vertical panels so it isn't horrible, but I imagine that over a long time, the DeWalt would get heavy.
                          Patrick Yu
                          2003 Honda Accord
                          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');