• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cleaning alloy wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning alloy wheels

When you clean the alloy wheels on your car, is it necessary to clean the part of the wheel behind the tire (the area you can't really reach unless you were to take the wheel off entirely)? I noticed that this area, like the grooves of the wheel itself, collects a lot of brake dust and I'm wondering if I should be removing the entire wheel every so often and washing and waxing this area as well. What are people's thoughts?

Re: cleaning alloy wheels

That’s entirely up to you. If it’s really noticeable (that’s going to depend on the type of wheel) then I probably would.
    Although mine aren’t really noticeable I’ll take them off and do some cleaning now and again.
    You can’t put weights on the outside of my wheels, so they use the stick-on weights and I like to get back there and get the leftover tape off once in a while and just to keep the crude from really building up.
    You may be able to get some kind of brush in there from the backside.

Comment

I take my wheels off about twice a year and 5 step them. Other than getting ripped by my wife, it keeps them looking good, also gives me a chance to clean up any overdoneitwithgrease mess in the wheel wells.

The wheels on our Neon are big spokes and you can see the inside just as well and I pull them off too. This year as the car approaches 4 yrs old, I need to paint the drums and touch up the calipers.

It's all a matter of preference I guess.

Aaron
      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I'd be surprised if there are any wheels that are not designed to be maintained while on the vehicle. I wash, clay, #21 mine just like the body paint, a couple times per year. Then you can keep them clean with car wash soap and not wheel cleaner, and that in turn makes your tire dressing last longer.

Comment

I do clean the rear part of the rims.
          When I wash I always stick my hand in their and clean, you can really see that brake dust come out, I wash it every time I wash the car.

Comment

I agree with Nappers. Twice a year take them off do a complete cleaning on them. The rest of the year it is just routine maintenance. But it boils down to your choice.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');