• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to clean 45 years of road grime and grease off a undercarrige

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to clean 45 years of road grime and grease off a undercarrige

What is the best way to clean 46 years of road grime and grease off a undercarrige. I have my old classic car that is full of grease and what would be the best way to get it cleaned off?
    Alex
    1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
    1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Re: What is the best way to clean 45 years of road grime and grease off a undercarrig

Take everything apart and clean it? Do you own a Parts Cleaner? It's a tank with usually Stoddard Solvent in it for cleaning car parts.

You need a way to get to the grime, if you can't remove the body then you need to get the car up higher so you can get under it safely, like with a hydraulic lift.

We've used a 16' tall A-Frame Engine puller, and a chain come-along to lift one end of the car off the ground, sort of exposing the belly and then steam cleaned it?

If you look at this picture you'll see to steel poles in an inverted V shape, this was our engine puller and car lifter.

Made it so you could remove the poles and transport the entire thing to any location.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: What is the best way to clean 45 years of road grime and grease off a undercarrig

Well not to clean individual parts just like the rear axle and under the floor pans. I have used a parts cleaner and I have also used gunk the engine degreaser on the motor. But like the axle and floor pans was my question. sorry for not being specific enough. Would it be a good idea to spray water up at the floor pans with a pressure washer and could the car leak possibly through the bottom from the high water pressure? I am pulling the motor maybe not sure yet.
      Alex
      1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Is it possible to rent a steam cleaner?
        Thanks Alex
        Alex
        1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

they sell hot water powerwashers
          There are also companies that rent em out.

good luck, and make sure your floor can get dirty

-nick
          Luck is probability taken personally!

Comment

Do you think home depot rents them out?
            Thanks Alex
            Alex
            1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

You will probably have to call around to power equipment stores to find one. Hardware stores don't rent anything, they are there for retail sales.

Comment

The home depot near me rents epuipment out but I don't think they rent out heated pressure washers. They just rent out other epuipment. I am thinking about what store near me rents euipment like that out. don't think any stores near me do that. I will ask true value or a store like that to get an idea. Maybe they will direct me to the right driection.
                Alex
                1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Look under Rentals in the Yellow Pages.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks mike for your help Appreciate it. Are those Caddy's in that pic. Sweet looking cars. How far along is that one in the resto?
                    Alex
                    1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');