• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1986 Ford F-150 Original Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Ford F-150 Original Owner

This is my Father-in-Law’s 1986 Ford F-150 Lariat. It is a 2wd long wheel base and he is the original owner. It has 138k miles on it and the 302ci motor was just replaced with a new motor a couple thousand miles ago. The truck was repainted by his local Ford dealership over 12 years ago due to clear coat failure. In July he is giving me this truck so it is special to me. I’ve never been given a vehicle before and with this one having been owned by him since new it means that much more to me. The truck has been garaged for the last 9 years but spent the first 12 to 13 years of its life outside. My Father-in-Law (Jack) recently visited us and drove the truck down to break in the motor. While he was down I figured I’d clean it up and get it ready to go back in the garage when he returned home. That way it will be ready for me come July.

I was really amazed with the condition of the paint. Jack has always taken care of his vehicles but wasn’t familiar with proper wash techniques, polishing and waxing, etc. He admitted to not having waxed the truck but once since it was repainted 12 years ago! He figured it was alright since it was always garaged. I’ve been teaching him about the right products and how to apply them. This time around he learned all about the G-100 and even helped buff the truck. The last few times he’s visited he has told me about the lasted Meguiar’s product he has bought.

We were going to clay the truck but quickly realized the paint was slick as glass and the clay wasn’t picking up a thing. Again, I was floored since the truck had never been clayed in 22 years of existence. It didn’t make sense to me but that’s the way it was. So we skipped that step.

He didn’t stay but a few days so I ran out of time to deep clean the interior. I just did a quick wipe down and vacuum. When it becomes mine it will get the deep, q-tip in the crevices, leave nothing untouched cleaning that it deserves. Here’s the rest of the process:
    • Wash with Gold Class Shampoo
    • M80 on 8006 pad with rotary on bad scuffs and scratches
    • M80 on 8006 pad with G100
    • NXT2.0 on 9006 pad with G100
    • Fine steel wool on metal center caps to remove surface rust
    • PlastX with PowerBall mini on red/black portion of center caps
    • All Season Dressing on exterior plastic trim
    • Hyperdressing on dash and door panels
    • APC+ on floor mat
    • Interior wiped down and vacuumed
    • Glass cleaned with Invisiglass
    This is after the 700 mile trip from Arkansas

Swirls from the side of the bed

No more swirls!!

Scuff mark

Scuff mark gone!!

Swirls

M80 took care of swirls

3 foot scratch probably from bush or tree limb

Rotary and M80 removed it! And look how sharp the reflections are now!!
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Re: 1986 Ford F-150 Original Owner

Before APC+

After

ASD used on tires

Aluminum door sill trim before Mag and Aluminum Polish

After polish and Dremel

Interior after basic cleaning and wipedown

After shot of truck

Not bad for a 22 year old truck, huh?
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Nice save!

Looks like a brand new truck, great write-up too, good pictures, good text formatting, very nice, very professional, serves as an example to others who want to share their work.

We understand that it takes more time to do a detail like this when you have to stop the actual work to take the photographs, then later actually sit behind the computer and write the words and add the photos just so the rest of us can learn from your work.

Thank you.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Awesome write up. That truck looks like a million bucks after all of that work. I hope you continue to have his luck with this truck.

Andrew
        2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

Nice job on the truck! I remember whitewalls! I use to use an SOS pad on mine and they always looked very white.

Comment

The truck looks great. Never would believe its 22 years old. Great work, write up and pics. Great work.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Very nice looking truck! I had not even thought of polishing up the door sills! That will be a project after I get the engine area tidied and cleaned up.

That will be a great addition. My truck has about 186,500 miles on the original engine and has not let me down yet. I'm sure that one will not let you down either!

Congrats and great work!

Comment

What a difference!!!
                That truck looks real nice.

Great job and save

Comment

Really inspiring. Still trying to learn what products to use. Write ups like this make even more motivated. What a great job!
                  Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                  by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                    Nice save!

Looks like a brand new truck, great write-up too, good pictures, good text formatting, very nice, very professional, serves as an example to others who want to share their work.

We understand that it takes more time to do a detail like this when you have to stop the actual work to take the photographs, then later actually sit behind the computer and write the words and add the photos just so the rest of us can learn from your work.

Thank you.

Thanks, Mike. Maybe spending the extra time during and after a detail taking pictures and doing write-ups will help someone out and in the process answer some of their questions. If anything hopefully it inspires them to get out and try this stuff out on their own cars.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I hope to have this truck for a very long time.

Dave, thanks for the tip on the whitewalls. I won't forget that one

Tyler, I originally started polishing the door sills with a PowerBall mini bit it wasn't getting into the grooves like I had hoped. So I used my Dremel with the cloth polishing wheel and it worked like a charm - a lot faster, too. It definitely gets messy, though.

Jossy, glad this thread is motivating. I got motivated a while back after spending hours pouring through the Extreme Makeover section. I still love a great write-up with lots of pictures and a list of all the products used.

Comment

I need a new polishing wheel for my Dremel. I will have to pick one up and have a go at it. Mine look even worse than those.

Comment

Tyler, when I actually get the truck, I'm going to sand them to try to remove most of the surface scratches, then polish them again. Of course, you can purchase a brand new set for $40 from LMC. Where's the fun in that, though?

I was amazed at how fast the Dremel polished these suckers up. I had it around 10k rpms and only used a very very small amount of polish (touched it to the polish, not rub it in it). It brought the shine back in seconds. Of course with the Dremel's size you are covering about a square centimeter at a time so it takes a while!! But it gave me some alone time and it wasn't all that bad.

Comment

Man, that is beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
                              Tyler, when I actually get the truck, I'm going to sand them to try to remove most of the surface scratches, then polish them again. Of course, you can purchase a brand new set for $40 from LMC. Where's the fun in that, though?

I was amazed at how fast the Dremel polished these suckers up. I had it around 10k rpms and only used a very very small amount of polish (touched it to the polish, not rub it in it). It brought the shine back in seconds. Of course with the Dremel's size you are covering about a square centimeter at a time so it takes a while!! But it gave me some alone time and it wasn't all that bad.
                              Oooo, don't get me started on LMC truck!!! Not enough money in my pockets!!!

I look forward to getting them shined up. My G/F has an 86 Bronco that will need to be done because, well, once I do mine... Have you thought about clearcoating them after polishing them all up? That just came to mind, and I may try it on mine since they get dirty fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');