• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain.....Acid rain and your paint??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain.....Acid rain and your paint??

I live in Louisiana and this winter we have had unusually frequent rains. Like once or twice a week at least for the past couple months with some breaks here and there. In the summer time you can set your watch by the rainy season. Generally around mid-day to 3:00pm you will have rain,not everyday of course, but very often.
    Because of these frequent rains I have been concerned with the contaminates that this rain may have that sit on the paint after the rain. Ecspecially this summer when after the rain it can easily be mid 90's with 75 to 80% humidity. extremely hot. How much damage could these contaminates do to the paint and is it necessary to rinse my truck after a rain to remove these contaminates or is the regular once a week wash and once every 4 to 6 week wax job enough to protect the paint from any damage or defects? I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado ext. and the paint is in excellent condition I wash it regularly (my neighbors would say obsessivley) I want to maintain the paint as is for the life of the truck. And am willing to put forth the effort to make sure this happens.

Re: Rain.....Acid rain and your paint??

Most of the time, rain will cause acid rain etching (those little circles). The bonded contaminants come from the air quality, road grime, and debrit that lands on the paint.

Water beading acts like a double edged sword. Yes, it looks really cool and shows that a protectant is still at work. Once these beads dry, (if the rain is acidic) they can create water spots.

My suggestion would be to try and eliminate the water spots from drying on the paint. Either take the vehicle for a spin, or wash it while it's wet. You can also use a detailer spray if the paint is fairly clean.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Just to add, waxes and sealants can not protect against things that are directly in contact with the paint like acid, salt, degreasers, etc. The protectant is just too thin.
      Chris

Comment

Are you saying that waxes and sealants will not protect my paint from acids salt or other contaminates. I thought that was the whole reason for using them? Could I get An admins input on this. Now I am really getting confused.

Comment

I need to rephrase that. Waxes and sealants will protectant against airborne contaminants. Some will do well against salt, but it hurts the protectant.
          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by cgcomeaux View Post
            Are you saying that waxes and sealants will not protect my paint from acids salt or other contaminates. I thought that was the whole reason for using them? Could I get An admins input on this. Now I am really getting confused.
            Hey,

Let's see if we can clear up the confusion.

The whole idea of using a wax or sealant is to provide the paint with a sacrificial barrier. This barrier over time will degrade and wear off do to exposure to the elements etc.

Now, in terms of acid rain, a sacrificial barrier will slow down the damage but can not prevent it totally. No company's wax or sealant can totally protect you from acid rain. However, regular applications of a quality sealant or wax will help to prevent the damage acid rain can cause.

The other means in preventing damage besides regular applications of a quality sealant or wax would be routine maintenance like washing and using a Quik Detailer like Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer. Acid rain damage occurs when H2O mixes with Sulfur Dioxide in the atmosphere. These combine to create H2SO4 or Sulfuric Acid. When it rains, the water beads contain a diluted version of a powerful acid. But when the sun comes out, as the water evaporates from the water bead, the concentration of acid increases and thereby can cause damage to the paint. Again, no sacrificial barrier (wax or Sealant) regardless of brand will prevent acid from going through. But it can slow it down. Hence my earlier comment to apply a sealant etc on a regular schedule.

After a rainfall, I would wash the paint as soon as possible. Moreover, try and park in an area where your paint can be proetcted somewhat. Now these suggestions are for people who have severe acid rain damage. My personal vehicles sit outside 24/7 and they still look perfect as they have be maintained over the years.

In summary, the greatest thing you can do to protect your paint is to perform regular maintenance, and to apply a wax/sealant at regular intervals, especially if you live in an area that is particularly susceptible to acid rain damage.

I hope this helps!

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

very nice thats pretty much the response i was looking for. makes since thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                Hey,

Let's see if we can clear up the confusion.

The whole idea of using a wax or sealant is to provide the paint with a sacrificial barrier. This barrier over time will degrade and wear off do to exposure to the elements etc.

Now, in terms of acid rain, a sacrificial barrier will slow down the damage but can not prevent it totally. No company's wax or sealant can totally protect you from acid rain. However, regular applications of a quality sealant or wax will help to prevent the damage acid rain can cause.

The other means in preventing damage besides regular applications of a quality sealant or wax would be routine maintenance like washing and using a Quik Detailer like Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer. Acid rain damage occurs when H2O mixes with Sulfur Dioxide in the atmosphere. These combine to create H2SO4 or Sulfuric Acid. When it rains, the water beads contain a diluted version of a powerful acid. But when the sun comes out, as the water evaporates from the water bead, the concentration of acid increases and thereby can cause damage to the paint. Again, no sacrificial barrier (wax or Sealant) regardless of brand will prevent acid from going through. But it can slow it down. Hence my earlier comment to apply a sealant etc on a regular schedule.

After a rainfall, I would wash the paint as soon as possible. Moreover, try and park in an area where your paint can be proetcted somewhat. Now these suggestions are for people who have severe acid rain damage. My personal vehicles sit outside 24/7 and they still look perfect as they have be maintained over the years.

In summary, the greatest thing you can do to protect your paint is to perform regular maintenance, and to apply a wax/sealant at regular intervals, especially if you live in an area that is particularly susceptible to acid rain damage.

I hope this helps!

Tim

Awesome reply !
                WrightDetail
                The Wright Way
                2007 Chevy HHR
                2008 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 1500

Comment

Originally posted by WrightDetail View Post
                  Awesome reply !

Thank you!