• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corvette Forum Detail Day; My personal update and a couple ??'s [long]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corvette Forum Detail Day; My personal update and a couple ??'s [long]

Several weeks ago, I had the fantastic opportunity to attend the Corvette Forum Detail Day hosted by Meguiar's. I am by no means an expert or experienced in detailing. So, I was naturally well-pleased with all the info I picked up from the detail day!

So as to my personal update: I finally put some of my new-found knowledge to work yesterday and am just amazed at the results. For years I have been merely content washing my car and occassionally having a professional detail performed. I've only done the hood of my C5 so far, but I can't wait to get back to it this weekend when I can do the whole car!

As for my questions, let me first desrcibe what I've done so far (again, to the hood only).
    1) Washed the car
    2) Clayed the paint
    3) Cleaned/polished the paint using DACP and my P/C
    4) Hand-waxed using NXT

Question 1) After having polished and waxed, I really I'd like to do further work on the paint to remove some scratches/webbing I missed. Since I've already applied the NXT wax, how do I thoroughly remove it before further polishing?

Question 2) To get at these scratches/webbing, I have used only DACP, yet they are still minimally present. Should I try using the less-abrasive swirl remover, or just more passes with the DACP? And when I do use the DACP, should I keep working it with the P/C until it dries up, or should I wipe it off while it's still a little moist?

Question 3) In our "classroom lecture" I vaguely recall Mike mentioning that some people had complaints regarding the removal NXT once is dries and offered some suggestions that I don't remember. I guess I am experiencing similar problems, specifically cloudiness. Am I letting the NXT dry too long or not long enough? From out class, I don't remember having to rub so hard to get the NXT off without the cloudiness. I let the NXT dry for approximately 10 minutes on a cool hood in shade.

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best-
    Nelson V

Re: Corvette Forum Detail Day; My personal update and a couple ??'s [long]

Hi Nelson,

Good to see you back, hang on a moment and I'll answer your questions point by point.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Corvette Forum Detail Day; My personal update and a couple ??'s [long]

Originally posted by NelsonV98Vert
      Several weeks ago, I had the fantastic opportunity to attend the Corvette Forum Detail Day hosted by Meguiar's. I am by no means an expert or experienced in detailing. So, I was naturally well-pleased with all the info I picked up from the detail day!
      I think we all had a great day!

So as to my personal update: I finally put some of my new-found knowledge to work yesterday and am just amazed at the results. For years I have been merely content washing my car and occasionally having a professional detail performed. I've only done the hood of my C5 so far, but I can't wait to get back to it this weekend when I can do the whole car!

As for my questions, let me first describe what I've done so far (again, to the hood only).
      1) Washed the car
      2) Clayed the paint
      3) Cleaned/polished the paint using DACP and my P/C
      4) Hand-waxed using NXT
      Sounds good so far...

Question 1) After having polished and waxed, I really I'd like to do further work on the paint to remove some scratches/webbing I missed. Since I've already applied the NXT wax, how do I thoroughly remove it before further polishing?
      Applying any paint cleaner or cleaner/polish will remove the NXT you have previously applied.

Question 2) To get at these scratches/webbing, I have used only DACP, yet they are still minimally present. Should I try using the less-abrasive swirl remover, or just more passes with the DACP? And when I do use the DACP, should I keep working it with the P/C until it dries up, or should I wipe it off while it's still a little moist?
      If their are still scratch and swirls present, getting less aggressive will not be the direction to go. #83 DACP is about as aggressive as you want to get with a PC, anymore aggressive than this and you run the risk of dulling and marring the finish. What it sounds like is you need to first machine clean the finish using a rotary buffer. I actually remember your car's finish real well and it has some pretty major swirls, swirls that appear to be fairly deep. You could try going over the finish again with the #83 and focus and concentrate on one section at a time. After the #83, you should consider a second polishing step with either, #82 or #80, or even #9 with a clean, dedicated W-8006 polishing pad. After that, apply the NXT Tech Wax.

Here's a picture of Nelson's black Corvette from the CorvetteForum detailing clinic. Note: the line you see down the middle of the panel is only the reflection of the building overhead.

Question 3) In our "classroom lecture" I vaguely recall Mike mentioning that some people had complaints regarding the removal NXT once is dries and offered some suggestions that I don't remember. I guess I am experiencing similar problems, specifically cloudiness. Am I letting the NXT dry too long or not long enough? From our class, I don't remember having to rub so hard to get the NXT off without the cloudiness. I let the NXT dry for approximately 10 minutes on a cool hood in shade.
      I may have mentioned that sometimes I've read of complaints about how Tech Wax can be difficult to remove, but this is usually because someone applied to thick of a coat, or didn't let it dry long enough. In all of the clinics, I try to get other people to apply and remove the Tech Wax so that everyone can see how easy it is. If you're having removal difficulties, I'm sure the problem can be solved by tweaking your process.

As far as any cloudiness goes, this could be not letting it cure long enough, or potentially micro-marring from the #83 DACP. You have to be cautious when applying #83 with the PC, don't use too much pressure, don't apply at too high a speed, also work the product till it begins to dissipate but you're still leaving behind a wet film of product as you move your buffer over the surface.

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best-
      Nelson V
      Perhaps you would like to bring the car down to Meguiar's and I'll help you by going over some tips and techniques until we can dial in a system that works for you?

The next extreme makeover date is August 26th.

1973 Maserati Bora Seats - Extreme Makeover

Until then you can keep practicing.

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Wow, thanks for the quick response!

I guess I'll try using more 83. I am actually very happy with what I've done so far. I was working on it close to sunset last night, and just today noticed the remaining defects, very slight and not too deep. I just wasn't sure if I should go more aggressive or less aggressive.

As for the cloudiness, I don't think it is attributed to micromarring with the 83. It actually went away with more rubbing with the MF. I just had to rub harder than I expected. I suspect I applied it too thick, or didn't let it dry long enough, or both.

(This was late in the afternoon yesterday and I didn't have enough time experiment with different techniques. I was just too excited to play with my new toys (a new P/C and a boxful Meguiar's goodies) and only had about an hour before I had to start preparing supper.)

As for coming down on the 26th, I'll see if I can make it down. I missed Mark's 70 Vette Makeover because my director had better plans for my time that day.

By the way, another new toy I picked up yesterday was a new Nikon Coolpix 5200 digital camera. So, if I have sometime in the next day or two, I shoot a pic of my hood so far. It looks a lot better than that pic of my trunk!

Thanks again, Mike. And I'll post my progress.

-Nelson V.

Comment

Here's a little how-to article I wrote to help people understand better when to remove their wax,

How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Here's a pic of my hood. My garage has very poor lighting, so I was working in the setting sun. The spots are just dust that I should have wiped down before shooting. At any rate, I am pleased with these initial results (compared to what the trunk, as shown above, still looks like), but obviously I need to spend more time developing the correct technique, and more time in the work.

My neighbor has offered to let me use his better-lighted garage. Maybe I can accomplish more this weekend and post an update next week.

-NBV

Comment

Congratulation!

I see a dramatic difference for the better.

Looks like I'll have to find another black Corvette for an extreme makeover, I can tell you're having too much fun and before long you'll have the entire car transformed!

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Yeah, I'm hoping to have at least a first-cut completion done before this weekend is over. My brother is borrowing the Vette for a roadtrip next week. Then when he gets back I'll really have at it.

But I still want to come down to Meguiar's to particiapte next time you have a "black" in for an extreme makeover; I'm sure I can use all tutelage I can get. Do you usually schedule your extreme makeovers for Thursdays? Thursdays happen to be the worst day of the week, schedulewise, for me.

-NBV

Comment

Mike-

I was just reading this post
                  (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...&threadid=2182)
                  where you said:
                  Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                  For applying polish or wax, products intended to add beauty, gloss and/or protection, a setting from 1.0 to 3.0 works really well.
                  . . .
                  For removing wax, the 4.0 to 5.0 setting works well.
                  . . .
                  I guess I remembered (from our clinic) incorrectly, backwards actually. When I was using the P/C to apply #83, I had the setting on 5. Could that be why my results were less than A-1?

-NBV

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');