• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

swipe test question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swipe test question

Morning everyone,

I have a question about the swipe test, according to the swipe test, if you swipe the paint with you finger and there is a streak left behind, the wax is not ready to be wiped off. (If the area you have swiped is smudgy, or streaky, or there is noticeable wax in the swipe area, then the wax has not set-up long enough and you should allow more time for the wax to set-up before your remove it.)

I waxed my car yesterday afternoon, and even now when I swipe across the surface, I still see clear steak and there are a little wax residues left on my finger....... -- I have not removed the wax yet......

I guess I just misunderstand the swipe test concept, but I do see (If the area you have swiped is .. streaky)anyone here has a picture shows what the difference between "clear paint" and "streaky paint"?

thanks!

Re: swipe test question

Mine does the same thing after I remove the wax with a microfiber. It will be like that until the next time you wash the car, at least that's how it is for me.
    --2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Comment

Sorry I th ink I did not express myself clearly,

I meant I have not removed my wax even after more than 10 hours, since even now when I do the swipe test I can still see streaks left behind, which according to swipe test, is the sign of not ready to be removed.

So after 10 hours, the wax still has not setup?

Originally posted by Raymond View Post
      Mine does the same thing after I remove the wax with a microfiber. It will be like that until the next time you wash the car, at least that's how it is for me.

Comment

bump###
        Last edited by Andy M.; Feb 8, 2008, 10:19 AM. Reason: multiple post
        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by stayhere View Post
          Sorry I th ink I did not express myself clearly,

I meant I have not removed my wax even after more than 10 hours, since even now when I do the swipe test I can still see streaks left behind, which according to swipe test, is the sign of not ready to be removed.

So after 10 hours, the wax still has not setup?

How much wax did you use? The secret is an even uniform coat of wax. What is the weather like in your area right now? Temperature and humidity can be a factor. What kind of wax are you using?
          You can also do a search here on the final wiping technique. I cant find the link right now? Let us know and we will help.
          You should never have to wait until your next wash to get rid of the haze you are talking about.

Andy
          101impala
          Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
          Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Here's what a Swipe Test Looks like on a 1948 Bentley

Here's another picture of a Swipe Test,

The idea being to swipe the waxed surface and then look at the paint where you swiped it. If the paint is clear and glossy, this is a visual indicator that the wax is dry and ready to remove. This assumes the rest of the car has the same thickness of wax coating.

A coating or layer of wax should be very thin, if it is thick at all, then it will take longer to dry and will tend to lead to smears and streaks.

Most people think like this,

"If a little is good, then more must be better"

That's true for my bank account but not true when it comes to applying polish or wax to car paint.

Wipe the wax off the car now. If it doesn't appear to be fully dry then chances are good you're putting too much wax on. Try re-waxing again only this time see how thin of a layer, i.e. uniform coating you can apply.

Now let this layer of wax dry for about 15-20 minutes, longer if it's cold and humid in your area, and then after it's dried and your Swipe Test confirms this, use a clean soft microfiber to wipe the excess off.

It's all about technique. Polishing paint is an art form and the art part comes from using the correct technique plus the human elements of care and passion, a passion for what you're doing and that's creating beauty.

Hope this helps...

:thumbsup
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');