• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

**New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

**New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

Hey Everyone,

One of the hardest parts in detailing is removing swirls, and scratches in scratch sensitive or very hard paint. Some vehicles have paint as hard as glass! You can buff with a Dual Action polisher and barely change the surface. That is when one pulls out the rotary polisher. But sometimes even that is not enough! On a detail I completed last Spring, I was asked to detail a new Volvo XC-70 which had some of the hardest paint I have seen! I had to use a rotary and really work at removing the swirls. I spent hours buffing with very strong compounds trying to remove the marring. I succeeded in the end, but it was a real challenge!

Move forward 8 months, Meguiar’s introduces a new compound; Meguiar’s M105 Ultra Cut Compound. Meguiar’s M105 is on their aggressive scale, a “12” or the highest the scale goes in terms of aggressiveness. It is designed to remove 1200 grit or finer sanding marks by using “Super-Micro Abrasives”. This makes the product ideal for removing deep marring, scratches etc along with the sanding marks. The new Super- Micro Abrasives finish down to an incredible glossy finish. But keep in mind it is a compound so a polishing follow-up step in the Meguiar’s line-up will be needed. Meguiar’s M105 is white in color and has a familiar smell to it. If you have used some of Meguiar’s compounds of the past you will know the smell I mean; personally, I love it as it is mild and non obtrusive. That is a good thing when you are working with a product for hours per day! The M105 is a little thicker and not so runny like other products. It looks and pours very similar to Meguiar’s Solo Compound.

Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound

Since its introduction, most people are using it with a wool pad or specifically the new Double Sided W-5000 Wool Pad and are getting tremendous results! However, I wondered how it would react with other pads besides the wool. Of course I tried it with the Heavy and Light Cut Solo wool pads and well as the W-4000 Wool Pad, but I also wanted to see how well the product would finish down by changing the aggressiveness of the pads. **Keep in mind** Meguiar's M105 was designed to be used primarily with the W-5000 Wool Pad for best results. I am only testing it with a foam pad for comparison sake.

Winter has hit, with wind chills in excess of -27*C, so not many people currently desire having their cars/trucks/SUVs detailed at the moment. So I threw on a coat, plugged in a portable heater and went to work in my garage on my wife’s Toyota Corolla. The Corolla’s paint is quite “hard”, but it also happens to be a tricky paint to detail. Anyone that has tried detailing one knows what I am referring to. Too aggressive and the paint hazes easily. But not enough, and the swirls do not budge at all. I always need to step up to the rotary to do swirl removal, but it is a double edged sword as I need to be extremely careful on that particular paint.

After having used the new M105 with the wool pads and being amazed at how well it left the finish, I was curious to see how it would work on the Corolla’s tricky paint. I decided to use Meguiar’s Solo WDFP-7 Polishing Foam Pad with the rotary spinning around 1500 RPM.

Meguiar's Solo WDFP-7 Foam Polishing Pad

The m105 finished down beautifully, leaving a clean and squeaky surface. I did discover one thing that needs to be mentioned, M105 is somewhat particular in the amount of product used. If you use too much, it become sticky and quite difficult to remove. However, after a brief learning curve, I discovered that less product was better and polished out easily. In fact, this is one of those times that less is more, so-to-speak. Also...no dusting of product! I found the product did not splatter as much and definitely dusted less than other compounds. The Corolla’s paint turned out awesome! There was very little haze and the tiny scratches on the hood from someone bumping the snow brush against it, came right out without a problem! Cool!

Now a lot of people have been asking on the Forum can you go to a LSP right after the M105. The answer is, I wouldn’t. Sure it finishes down incredibly well, but this is a compound which does require subsequent polishing step(s) to further refine the finish. In this case, I followed with Meguiar’s M02 Fine Cut Cleaner with the Dual Action Polisher. After topping with 2 coats of #21 Synthetic Sealant, the finish is flawless, not a mark to be seen!

Meguiar’s M105 is in my eyes and many others a revolutionary product that leaves an incredible finish! It is hard to believe that a polish so aggressive that one minute can remove 1200 grit sanding marks can finish down so well that a short follow up with a polish is all that is needed. All I can say is…Meguiar’s, why did you not have this last Spring! That Volvo left me frustrated and exhausted. With the M105, I am temped to phone the guy and ask for round two!

Cheers!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Re: **New** Meguiar's #105 Ultra Cut Compound Review!!!!

Excellent write-up Tim!

The tips on product application techniques were great. The hood on the Corolla is just like a mirror!

RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Good write up and the garage looks great.

Comment

Awesome write up Tim !...great results with a great product...and I too like your garage...well lit..how many lights do you have hanging in there ?!?
        Bill Poirier
        West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the kind comments!

I have 3 - 4' fluorescent duals, and then 4 - 43 Watt fluorescents (150 watt equivalent). Even then, I would like more lighting.

Tim

Comment

Thanks for sharing!
            SYDSTER

Comment

Nice write-up as usual Tim.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey Tim,

Awesome write up as is always the case. Complete and informative.

One question though?????
                Who did this???
                There was very little haze and the tiny scratches on the hood from someone bumping the snow brush against it, !

Thanks
                Andy
                101impala
                Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Great write up Tim!

Now I just have to wait for it to warm up!
                  Patrick Yu
                  2003 Honda Accord
                  2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Great write up Tim!
                    Thanks for taking the time and sharing.

Comment

Great write up Tim!
                      Bring on the Volvo!!

Kelly
                      MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Great review.

I have a question about how you worked the product. Since the rumor is that the abrasives do not break down (and thus the polish should not loss cut as it is worked) did you just buff until the defects where removed the wiped away?

Does the product appear to break down?

Thanks
                        Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Hey,

I worked the product like I would any other...I worked it until it was a light residue and then wiped it off. It worked extremely well and it left the finish very clear. Whatever the Super-Micro Abrasives are or how they work is not important to me. What is important is that they do work and work extremely well!

Now...just so you are aware, I have been following that debate between yourself and another member both here and on another detailing forum. I do not want this thread to be turned into a debate...it will not happen. Let's let the people who really know, answer the question rather than speculate further...

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001 View Post
                            Since the rumor is that the abrasives do not break down (and thus the polish should not loss cut as it is worked)
                            We've sent an e-mail to Jason Rose and have asked him to chime in on the topic of how this product works as compared to our products with diminishing abrasives.

Let's give him some time as we don't know what his schedule is like this week.

Thanks,
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                              Hey,

I worked the product like I would any other...I worked it until it was a light residue and then wiped it off. It worked extremely well and it left the finish very clear. Whatever the Super-Micro Abrasives are or how they work is not important to me. What is important is that they do work and work extremely well!

Now...just so you are aware, I have been following that debate between yourself and another member both here and on another detailing forum. I do not want this thread to be turned into a debate...it will not happen. Let's let the people who really know, answer the question rather than speculate further...

Tim
                              Hi Tim. In some ways the reason the debate started is because I am curious. My questions have nothing to do with "the debate" but rather my personal quest for knowledge, and I love to have an understanding of the products I am using. I guess I am a little different because while the end result is the most important, I love to know the why as well.

I am already sold on trying M105 and I love to see Meguiars comming out with cutting edge products and staying ahead of the curve. I'm glad it worked so well for you and I absolutely cannot wait to try it! Thanks for sharing your process with it as that is one of the quesitons I had

Thanks
                              Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');