• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the deal with "Layering?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the deal with "Layering?"

Originally posted by Bruclee View Post
    Okay to sum it up: The NXT is best applied in 2 coats with a wait of at least 20 mins then left alone since a 3rd coat would be redundant?
    Yes. Technically you only need to apply one application of wax or paint sealant as long as;
    1. The surface is clean and ready for sealing with a wax or paint sealant.
    2. The person applying the product does a great job over applying and working in a thin, even layer over each square inch of paint.
    The recommendation for 2 applications is to,
    1. Insure uniform coverage
    2. Insure uniform appearance

So as long as you're cleaning and prepping the paint correctly before waxing, and as long as you're doing a great job of applying the first coat, you technically don't have to apply a second coat. If you're unsure of your how thoroughly you apply the first coat, then you can as an option apply a second coat and the idea is that through the application of the second coat every square inch of paint will have been adequately had wax applied and dried to it.

One coat if you're doing a great job of applying the product, two coats as an insurance policy to insure uniform coverage over all the paint.

The thread is old enough that NXT 2.0 hasn't been mentioned but I can imagine it is about the same as I did e-mail the question and that is what they said, more than 2 coats isn't needed.
    This information in this thread is for the most part timeless and applies to most all products when it comes to the topic of layering. When a product comes out where the average end-user can can truly layer a product where with each layer a measurable increase in thickness occurs, and the layer they're creating is not opaque, that is it is 100% optically clear so that the paint underneath is not being clouded in any way, well then this product will be the talk on ALL the forums and everyone will know about it in about 24 hours.
    (If you hang out on detailing forums).

With NXT 2.0 is it still recommended to put the #21 on top or as a up keep coat at say a week later? Or should the NXT 2.0 spray be put on a week or two later?
    You don't have to top NXT or any of our waxes or paint sealants with another one of our waxes and paint sealants.

NXT And M21 are kissing cousins with the primary difference being M21 is formulated to perform well when used with a rotary buffer where dramatically more heat can be generated during application.

Is it a wax? Or a paint sealant?

(Just to note, it's not a good idea in general to apply waxes with a rotary buffer if the goal is a swirl-free, flawless finish but we make our Professional Line products like this because that's how waxes are applied in the Production Detailing industry where speed is usually more important than true swirl-free finishes.)

You can maintain your car's finish no matter which Meguiar's wax or paint sealant you use by using ANY of our spray-on waxes including our new Ultimate Quik Wax.

I got a cordless 4" polisher that seems to do a good application and removal of the NXT. It's always good to find out how to do the job better.
    As long as you apply a thin coat, allow it to fully dry before removing and use a soft, fluffy bonnet on your polisher, NXT should wipe off very easily.

How to tell if wax is dry and ready to remove...

The Swipe Test

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike, I might check to see if my car needs to be Clayed before I put on wax this spring. Alberta has a cold winter and it gets fairly dry too. Winter can have a warm dry wind called a Chinook, it can turn a very cold day into a warm one in hours.

Comment

May I be reminded what Meguiar's Pure Waxes are?

Is my list complete?

#26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax
        #16 Wax

and that Step #3 carnauba liquid wax?

Is that right? Thanks!!

I suppose in a way Ultimate Quick Wax is also a pure wax? in that surely it doesn't clean/remove away your good wax on there.

Comment

Originally posted by mb911 View Post
          May I be reminded what Meguiar's Pure Waxes are?

Is my list complete?

#26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax
          #16 Wax

and that Step #3 carnauba liquid wax?

Is that right? Thanks!!

I suppose in a way Ultimate Quick Wax is also a pure wax? in that surely it doesn't clean/remove away your good wax on there.
          Mb911, you may find this article helpful: What are the differences between Meguiar's waxes?

In addition to the pure waxes you have already mentioned, you should add NXT and M21, as neither has the ability to remove paint, though both have very light cleaners to aid in application and adhesion.

This article describes Gold Class as a polish/wax, because of the conditioning oils it contains. Perhaps it should be considered akin to a pure wax, in that it does not, as far as I know, have the ability to abrade and clean paint. I am tempted to say that all of Meguiar's waxes are "pure waxes," except those that expressly formulated to clean paint--i.e., Cleaner Wax, ColorX, M20, M06, M66, and D151.

As always, I welcome correction.
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

I guess I was trying to find "pure" waxes in the sense they are more layerable, as discussed in this thread.

I think with NXT and Gold Class there might be more risk of removing some old wax. No, they aren't cleaner waxes, but like you mentioned, I believe they have some very mild cleaners to help with the application of wax, since they know many of these users won't prep the paint as we do.

The other waxes that sound to be nothing but wax, in theory, should layer better. I wanted to make sure I had my list correct. Thanks, for helping me look at this a different way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
              Yes. Technically you only need to apply one application of wax or paint sealant as long as;
              1. The surface is clean and ready for sealing with a wax or paint sealant.
              2. The person applying the product does a great job over applying and working in a thin, even layer over each square inch of paint.
              The recommendation for 2 applications is to,
              1. Insure uniform coverage
              2. Insure uniform appearance

So as long as you're cleaning and prepping the paint correctly before waxing, and as long as you're doing a great job of applying the first coat, you technically don't have to apply a second coat. If you're unsure of your how thoroughly you apply the first coat, then you can as an option apply a second coat and the idea is that through the application of the second coat every square inch of paint will have been adequately had wax applied and dried to it.

One coat if you're doing a great job of applying the product, two coats as an insurance policy to insure uniform coverage over all the paint.

This information in this thread is for the most part timeless and applies to most all products when it comes to the topic of layering. When a product comes out where the average end-user can can truly layer a product where with each layer a measurable increase in thickness occurs, and the layer they're creating is not opaque, that is it is 100% optically clear so that the paint underneath is not being clouded in any way, well then this product will be the talk on ALL the forums and everyone will know about it in about 24 hours.
              (If you hang out on detailing forums).

You don't have to top NXT or any of our waxes or paint sealants with another one of our waxes and paint sealants.

man that right there saved me like a week Ill tell before I came to the forums here I used to layer like no other serioulsy folks I would take a week to wax my car thorughly at another car forum they suggested this every time I wax.
              -wash car
              -clay
              -a specific polish wax
              -cleaner wax afterwards
              -scratch remover wax
              -lay the first protectant wax on car
              -layer another protectant wax on car
              -put a acrylic seal on car (you guys know this well pretty well but wont mention names they claim layiner this will outshine anything
              -put the same acrylic seal on car upt o 7 times with at least 6 hour wait in between I usually did 3 of these
              -then for the outmost shine you then put on a carnuba pure wax (you guys know this one also comes in that makeup looking thing with foam thingy costs like 30 bucks)
              -then your done!!! if you want put another another spray sealant acrylic wax to top off the carnuba wax

seriously this is what I did to my car until I came on the boards now for a year I believe after PM mike back and forth and asking questions I know just clay and wax and my car looks just as good as with all the stuff I did to it before on occasion I put on scratch remover when I see a scratch i dont like and rewax it.

Comment

I tried this before with NXT TechWax 2.0 and Mothers SynWax, but I prefer one (1) layer of wax or sealant on my paint. You really won't get any better, if you apply a second coat (sometimes it gets cloudier).

Comment

If Maguiars NSX is basicly near 100 percent reflection after 2 coats,why do products like Zaino say that the more coats you install the reflection increases with multiple coats?

Comment

Originally posted by hemi View Post
                    If Maguiars NSX is basicly near 100 percent reflection after 2 coats,why do products like Zaino say that the more coats you install the reflection increases with multiple coats?
                    because if they didn't say that, there'd be no zaino zombies.

Comment

Quick question and I apologise if it has been asked a 100 times before, Interesting thread BTW.
                      If I'm looking at layering wax on customers cars and have the benefit of having them in the shop for a couple of days. Is there any benefit to leaving the wax on for an extended period before buffing off or is it a case of swipe test pass = removal time?
                      How about on Synthetic sealants?
                      I'm looking at 2 layers of Synthetic followed by 2 layers of High Tech. Yes partly for the marketing factor but also hoping that there might be a benefit even if it isn't so visual at that point in time.

Comment

No, there is no benefit to leaving Meguiar's sealants or carnauba waxes on a car longer than it needs to dry properly (whatever that time is). The swipe test should see you through.
                        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by hemi View Post
                          as someone mentioned because there would no zaino zombies. I used to be one of those guys until I started PMing mike phillips on how to wax. Mike told me one important that really stands. If you think layering that wax does something try layinger one side of the hood first then compare to the other non layered side. I did this and I didnt see no difference. I used to be a zombie. I used to layer 10 layers of some specific product because guess what they told me, "layering multiple layers up to 10 enhances gloss" I was not the only one that did this either at another forum many members did the same thing.

Comment

Usually it doesn't make any difference after the second coat, the second is to catch some missed or slighly less spots in the wax. The real problem is how to get the wax off the place you don't want it, like rubber around the windows and in the cracks between doors and body etc.

Comment

I posted "non-layerikng" details in a much earlier thread, but the details are worth repeating here since most folks simply do not understand ...
                              Most folks have no idea how thin a layer of wax is actually left on the car, almost all the applied wax is wiped off (wasted, and requiring extra effort). An optional second coat is just to ensure coverage, not extra depth (regardless of what other products claim).

"FinstP" did detailed scientific measurements in applying and layering wax and reported the results in "DetailingWorld" http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=127943. Many posts/pages of tests, results, and discussions, give it a read.

The quick summary is that regardless of how many coats of wax are applied, simply buffing quickly resulted in a consistent 5.6nm layer of final wax coating. Note that 10 nanometres (nm) is 1/100th of a micron. One micron is roughly 1/80th of the thickness of a human hair, so 10nm is roughly 1/800th of the thickness of a human hair.

It is truly amazing how thin a layer is actually left (pay attention when Meguiars says to apply a THIN coat), but what wonders that thin layer provides.
                              2010 XRS

Comment

As a former night time Janitor I know You can get depth if it's in regards to floor waxing. Depth is real nice but only if the wax is clear and goes on properly. How ever the more you put on the more you'll have to take off and the best wax job is all preperation. Sealing the tile and the tile being absolutely clean is essential. That applys to car's too of course. Claying the surface and getting it as smooth and clean as possible is going to help when waxing. A polishing or scratch removal after the claying is usually suggested and once the car's paint is in the very best condition you can get it that's when wax comes to keep it that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');