• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the deal with "Layering?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the deal with "Layering?"

Thanks murr1525
    Women wear shinny, men drive it...
    Click on link to see signature picture:
    http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...a/500/Tano.jpg

Comment

I am getting ready to wax/seal my light silver Honda Ridgeline truck that I have kept polished wih speed glaze and final inspection for almost 3 months after some body work. (I chose to use only polish on the whole truck during the outgassing period) The gloss/shine on this vehicle is fantastic.

The wax/sealant decision is one thing, but which program to use to maintain the finish can be confusing.

I have seen some suggest sealant topped with wax works well? Would that suggest that one would use wax after a sealant and then wax based quick deatailers from there on? (Maybe polish once a year and reaplly sealant/wax)

Once one commits to a sealant, are they better off staying with similar synthetic products like the synthetic detailer and not combine these with waxes? I have a dark green vehicle I used synthetic sealant on after polishing with speed glaze. It has been in the garage and I used some final inspection to shine it up. I'm undecided if wax products should be combined on this vehicle as well?

Comment

Well, you've got a few different trains of thought going.

One thing is that all the Meguiar's products work well together, so you can use any spray detailers you like with any wax/sealant, etc.

As far as how often you may need to clean/polish/wax, thats hard to say for sure. If it is a daily driver, harsh elements, you may want to do it more often. If your car is exposed to lots of dirt/grime, you may not want to just wax after washing, you might want to do a full cleaning/polishing first. Just sort of have to evaluate the paint condition as you go.

Its really up to you what you want to try combining, of if you want to just stick with the Synthetic Sealant. You can try doing a panel one way, and a neighboring panel another way, and see what you like best.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The one question I did not bring up clearly is regarding layers of wax/sealant. Once I polish my truck, what if I use a Sealant first then follow with a coat of wax? Then use a detailer from there? Does the sythetic sealant serve as a possible base coat to be top coated? Or, would I be better off using either 2 coats of wax or two coats of synthetic?

Comment

Originally posted by rkollman View Post
            Does the synthetic sealant serve as a possible base coat to be top coated?
            This is the process most people would follow, sealant topped by a wax type substance, i.e. NXT topped by M16, a synthetic paint sealant topped by a traditional pure wax without any cleaners.

Or, would I be better off using either 2 coats of wax or two coats of synthetic?
            This is what we do when we're applying two coats of wax, pick a product and apply two thin coats of the same product.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Yes, all 3 combinations will work fine. A lot of people like to the Synthetic Sealant or Nxt Wax on the bottom, then top it with #26 Hi-Tec Yellow, or Gold Class. I go for two coats of Synthetic Sealant, or a cleaner/wax and one coat of Synthetic Sealant.

Now, the actual benefit of using two different products is a bit more subjective. Some people think it looks better, some just prefer two coats of the same wax or sealant.

That is why I had mentioned doing a panel or two with different combinations, and see if you can tell any difference, or like a certain combo best.

As far as the dark green car goes, it migh benefit most from a pure polish like #7 Show Car Glaze, after you use the cleaner/polish. But that is just another combination to try....

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post

That is why I had mentioned doing a panel or two with different combinations, and see if you can tell any difference, or like a certain combo best.

Here's an article we wrote about this very thing which explains with some detail on the how and the why.

Topping NXT

Topping NXT

There is always a lot of talk about topping NXT with other products, because this is a popular topic, I thought I would offer this simple suggestion.

If you think you would like to apply a topper over NXT, before you apply your choice of a topper over the entire finish, first do a side-by-side comparison and inspect your results carefully to insure that the test area does in fact look better than NXT by itself before applying your choice of topper to the entire finish. If you apply your choice of a topper to the entire car without comparing, you will never know if it improved or diminished the results created by the NXT alone.

Here's how to do a test spot,

First - Wait until you have two thin, uniform applications of NXT Tech Wax over the entire finish. Two thin applications always look better than one application.

Second - Find a nice flat panel like the hood or deck lid so that you can look down on the finish while standing over it. Apply your choice of a topper to a square section about one foot square being careful to do so in a way as to have a very distinct section with only the topper in this section. Allow the topper to dry according to the instruction and the remove with a microfiber polishing cloth or a clean, soft 100% cotton terry cloth towel. To be fair, you should apply a second coat in this same section to insure a uniform application. Again, apply and remove according to the product's directions.

After you applied and removed your choice of a topper carefully, inspect the two areas under different lighting conditions. Different lighting conditions will allow your eyes to see the different dimensions of your finish, such as richness, gloss, shine and clearness or clarity. View the two areas from different angles, from directly overhead, and with a light source centered in the area, like the sun. You may also want to have some friends compare the two areas also, a second set of fresh eyes may see something you miss, especially after you've been working on the finish and staring at the paint for hours.

If after doing this side-by-side comparison test in one small area, your eyes will tell you whether or not you want to continue with applying the topper to the entire finish.

Hope this helps...

Mike Phillips
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I think I will try the synthetic sealant topped with yellow wax and see how that goes. I like to use detailer sprays to maintain a shine and that may work best. With the silver truck having just reached its suggested outgassing after a paint job to several panels, the only concern may be that a sealant may be best used later?

Comment

the only concern may be that a sealant may be best used later?
                    After 30 days air cure, it's really not an issue... wax-on!
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                      After 30 days air cure, it's really not an issue... wax-on!
                      well, I'm over 60 days now and was shooting for close to 90 after the painted panels. So I guess the finish has no special precautions at this point?

Comment

well, I'm over 60 days now and was shooting for close to 90 after the painted panels. So I guess the finish has no special precautions at this point?
                        It's time to add protection, have some fun and make your Honda look good.

Love those Ridgelines, would like to see one in a metallic tangerine with lots of chrome. Like the Panic Parrot without the flames,

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Everythings better with metallic tangerine...

Comment

i hear ya... The temperatures are supposed to return to the 40's in a week with no snow is in sight either. The garage will be at about 60 degrees for the wax?

That will be around 70 days waiting after a paint job to the panels.

I think I saw the tangerine Ridgeline in a forum you mentioned and will look for that pic....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                              It's time to add protection, have some fun and make your Honda look good.

Love those Ridgelines, would like to see one in a metallic tangerine with lots of chrome. Like the Panic Parrot without the flames,

well, cleaned the silver Ridgeline with polish in a 55 degree garage. Used the professional synthetic applying it to the whole truck and then removing. (20-30 minutes dry time). That gloss was great. I then used Yellow wax on top of that. INCREDIBLE! I guess that makes 75 days after the paint repair.

Detailers? Now what may be my best detailer to use with a garage kept vehicle that is seldom dirty. (almost a daily wipe down). Use a synthetic or wax base or maybe final inspection?

Comment

Detailers? Now what may be my best detailer to use with a garage kept vehicle that is seldom dirty. (almost a daily wipe down). Use a synthetic or wax base or maybe final inspection?
                                Last Touch

Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');