• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the deal with "Layering?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does buffing the NXT at 5.0 result in more gloss, increased durability, or faster cure times compared to using a lower speed? I was just wondering because more heat could be generated at 5.0, giving some of those advantages.

RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1
      Does buffing the NXT at 5.0 result in more gloss, increased durability, or faster cure times compared to using a lower speed? I was just wondering because more heat could be generated at 5.0, giving some of those advantages.

RamAirV1
      Just to make sure, when you say "buffing the NXT at 5.0", do you mean when you're applying it or removing it with a microfiber bonnet?

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Excellent points, Mike.

I know some enthusiasts swear by layering and say each layer makes it look better. Up to the point of complete coverage, I can agree with that. However, like you pointed out, once you hit the 100% point of the appearance peak you really can't improve on it. I think the reason some believe the additional layers improve the look is because during the couple of weeks since the last application, the appearance has ever so slightly degraded and the new layer brings the appearance back to 100% again. What is happening, IMO, is the look has dropped back to (for arguement's sake) 98% each time prior to layering and then you add another coat and are back at 100%. Since the car does look better each time, the person then believes the apprearance continually improves but rather, it is being re-upped to 100%.

Personally, I'll stop at 2 layers with a sealant and then top with a carnauba on my own black car.
        Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

I agree 100% with you Scott. After a little time goes by, the car is washed/quick detailed/exposed to the environment as a daily driver etc. and the previously achieved results fall back a little. Next the person re-applies the product of their choice and it restores the plateau they previously had achieved.

The person has forgotten how great it looked after the last detailing session and in their mind, they think they are making the finish look better and better and better with each application when in reality, they are merely restoring the finish to the plateau they previously achieved.

Once you reach the maximum potential, you've hit the wall. That's a good thing!

(A real Pro always hits the wall)
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            Just to make sure, when you say "buffing the NXT at 5.0", do you mean when you're applying it or removing it with a microfiber bonnet?

Mike

Ooops, I forgot to clarify that! I meant NXT removal with an UB at a speed setting at 5.0. When applying it with a finishing pad, I use a speed of about 3.0.

Has anyone tried machine application of the Paste NXT yet? The next thing I will probably try is to apply the paste by hand and remove with an UB on the PC.

RamAirV1
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1

Has anyone tried machine application of the Paste NXT yet?
              I have. Yesterday, in fact. I used the PC wrench as a spatula to put a few dabs per panel on the pad. I used a blue Propel finishing pad, which seems to be right in between the Meguiars polishing and finishing pad in aggressiveness. Works very well with NXT. Anyway by the time I got about halfway around my 626, the pad needed very little addtional product per panel. The paste version seems to set up more quickly, it passed the finger swipe test immediately after I finished applying NXT to the whole car (maybe 10 minutes total time). I removed using an ultimate bonnet with the speed on 3 or 4.

Today, I applied a second layer of NXT paste by hand and again, once it was applied to the entire car, it wiped off effortlessly with no streaking at all. Definitely more user friendly than the liquid version, which seems to take longer to completely dry for streak free removal.

Looks terrific! I applied it over #80 and Clearkote's Red Machine Glaze. I'll have pics in a day or two.
              Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

Thanks for the update. I figured it was a matter of time before someone would try it.

For some reason, maybe the "glide factor" Mike talks about, it seems a little bit easier to apply the paste in a thin coat. And yes, it definitely does set up a little bit faster.

RamAirV1
                2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Hey guys - I have been reading a lot about people using a PC to remove wax. I have always done it by hand - how much better does it come out - or is it cuz it is simply easier / faster to do? Never used one, always done manually...just curious.
                  04 Acura TL 5AT Non-Navi Anthracite/Ebony with Deck Lid
                  Nice ... NXT'd

Comment

Originally posted by tbone2004
                    Hey guys - I have been reading a lot about people using a PC to remove wax. I have always done it by hand - how much better does it come out - or is it cuz it is simply easier / faster to do? Never used one, always done manually...just curious.
                    We've demonstrated this hundreds of times at our detailing classes and here's the skinny, most people can remove the wax as fast or faster by hand, however, removing the wax by machine tends to leave a completely streak-free, high gloss finish every time plus, you remove your fingers from the process, (pressure points), whereas removing with a bonnet over a foam pad distributes the pressure evenly over a larger surface area.

Something you need to see and try to determine if it's right for you and your car. If you're working on a daily driver that's white, you might not ever care, if you're working on something cool, perhaps a special interest car, (at least special to you), then you might really like it.
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Re: What's the deal with "Layering?"

if someone could clear up one quick thing about layering for a beginner..... as i understand it, it is usually recommended to wait around 12 hours before applying the second coat. unless you live in a bubble, there is no way the car will not be dirty again in 12 hours, even if it just sat there. i know i have orange drops from the sky that look like frank's red hot on my car within seconds of finishing, let alone 12 hours of these drops and other contanminents. are you to wash the car again? just quick detailer? thanks.

Comment

Yeah... or don't wait 12 hours.

You may not even be able to tell any difference in looks if you just applied after 20 minutes. I cant.

And you really should move away from someone who is tossing Franks Red Hot into the air... though finally my car would taste as good as it looks...
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I applied NXT paste by hand, both application and removal steps, to my new commute car after switching from another product. I put one coat and inspected it carefully to insure even distribution. The resulting shine was terrific. The next day, I decided to put on a coat of GC paste for commparison. I put it on half of the hood and looked. The shine appeared to be a bit better but not by much. When I stood back and looked however, the shine was clearly better to my eye. I decided to put a second coat of NXT on the other half of the hood. The difference was subtle but from a distance the GC looked 'better'. I know this is completely subjective, both look outstanding; but heck, that's the fun part of this. I topped the rest of the car and buffed it out with a MF. I lastly used cheesecloth to make sure I removed all of the product. I stood back several feet and the car looks spectacular!

I completely agree with Mike and the position that 100% is 100%. I sure like the look.
                          2007 Toyota Yaris
                          2001 Volvo S60 T5
                          1981 Volvo GLT Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Scottwax View Post
                            I have. Yesterday, in fact. I used the PC wrench as a spatula to put a few dabs per panel on the pad. I used a blue Propel finishing pad, which seems to be right in between the Meguiars polishing and finishing pad in aggressiveness. Works very well with NXT. Anyway by the time I got about halfway around my 626, the pad needed very little addtional product per panel. The paste version seems to set up more quickly, it passed the finger swipe test immediately after I finished applying NXT to the whole car (maybe 10 minutes total time). I removed using an ultimate bonnet with the speed on 3 or 4.

Today, I applied a second layer of NXT paste by hand and again, once it was applied to the entire car, it wiped off effortlessly with no streaking at all. Definitely more user friendly than the liquid version, which seems to take longer to completely dry for streak free removal.

Looks terrific! I applied it over #80 and Clearkote's Red Machine Glaze. I'll have pics in a day or two.
                            I agree. I always apply NXT paste with the PC and the 9006 pad. I just use the foam applicator in the can to evenly distribute a thin layer of paste on the DC pad. The paste does cure quicker and more evenly than the liquid and I have yet to get streaks from the paste.

Mike
                            Extreme Clean Auto Detailing
                            ...taking auto detailing to the Extreme!

Comment

Now on the tutorial it says"

Meguiar's waxes can be layered, but two things must be tended to when layering waxes. 1) You must use the right waxes ("Layerable" waxes)

Which are layerable waxes ????

I put 1 coat of Gold Class liquid wax in my car every month, the car is only 4 months old.

Now I got a tin of #16 that I got on internet.

and I want to try the NXT...

Can I mix this waxes??? or should I stick to just one of them???
                              if so...Wich one..
                              if not, should I remove the Gold Class from my car before appling the #16 next time I wax the car???

PS: I waxed the car today with GC...I would like to apply #16 tomorrow
                              Women wear shinny, men drive it...
                              Click on link to see signature picture:
                              http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...a/500/Tano.jpg

Comment

In theory, Nxt has some cleaners, so it would go on the bottom, with #16 or Gold Class being put on top.

Now, even with 'layerable' waxes, it has never really been proven if they actualy form layers, or the old and new layers just sort of blend together.
                                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');