• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to make a not so White car, White again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to make a not so White car, White again

Alright, so I haven't been able to detail any cars since about May 07. I was gone to Oklahoma for new job training. The past couple of days, my girlfriend went to Tennesse to take the synchro ice skating team she teachs to a large competition. All I do at work is sit all day, so I decided to bust out some of the old goods and get to work on her car. I am not finished with the car, but I am about half way through. Please excuse the border and watermarks, but that was the quickest and easiest way for me to resize my photos. Today was back and forth sunny cloudy, and then we finally got some pretty dark clouds, so I had to cut the day short. I will finish tomorrow before I head back to work for my work week.

I started out cleaning out the interior. Then I found out the 2 vaccums we have **** (or don't) how ever you want to look at it. I used 409 Interior cleaner for the stains she had in there. And it actually works great if you just want a quick fix, and dont want the hassle of shampooing the whole interior. (Sorry I dont think I took any before and afters of the stains, but I haven't finished) I decided I am going to run it by the vaccum at the gas station next door after I finish the exterior.

A little dirt, from visiting me in Palmdale during my work week.

Pre-Wash (it doesn't look that bad because its in the shade.)

Pre-Detail Headlight

Pre-Detail Dirty Engine

I LOVE DIRT!
    Schotography

Re: Trying to make a not so White car, White again

So I went ahead and cleaned up the interior. The door panels had alot of scuff marks on them, and the bottom interior plastic was more black than tan. I used APC 10:1 to clean the interior, and 4:1 to clean the more harsh areas. Also used a tooth brush to help loosen some of the dirt on the panels.(I wish Honda would have allowed another interior color than tan with a white car) (sorry, no other pre-shots.)

Nothing Special

And I still have to run it by the gas station vaccum tomorrow.
    Schotography

Comment

Then I went to the engine. (Remember this?)

Here I used 4:1 Greased lighting in an old wheel brightner foaming bottle (This works wonders for me)
      I got an old MF Towel, and started wiping everything down. For hard to reach areas, I sprayed the 4:1GL and aggitated with a tooth brush, and the got a H2O bottle to spray away the loose dirt and grime. After that was done, I rinsed out my MF Towel and then gave it one more wipe down before I applied the Megs Hyper Dressing 3:1. (I dress, wipe and then apply a second coat and wipe down again)

Washed

Dressed (I dress, wipe and then apply a second coat and wipe down again)

Done
      Schotography

Comment

I then gave the car a wash. (It was actually cleaner than she normally keeps it, because we washed it last week ) Unfortunatley she has the car washed every 4-6 months, or on special ocassions, whcih ever is first. So needless to say, the paint was stained with dirt. I then walked around the car and found misc scratches, paint transfer, tar, dirt stains, etc etc. And of course there is ZERO beading on the cars paint. These are the pictures after the car was washed.

Dirt Stains

Nail Scratches

x4

I have no clue how half of the stuff gets here.

Paint transfer there is beyond me.
        Schotography

Comment

Looking sharp....

I wonder what my fiance does to her car everytime I see it....

And I am not looking forward to having to clean my tan carpets after winter. Even with a good mat down, the edges still get dirty... Why cant they put a good color on the floor? At least is isnt white....
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Now while I wanted to improve the looks of this car, I had NO intentions of perfecting it. With that in mind, here is my weapon of choice.

PC7424 /M66 Quick Detailer/ Polishing Pag (I forget the brand)

Unfortunatley this is where it got dark cloudy. The improvemtn is great but you can barely see it in this picture

Here I have only completed the Pass. side of the hood, fender and headlight

A slight improvement on the headlight. I dont think it was too bad to start with. I tried PlastX, M80 and M66 on the headlight.

Dressed the tires and wheel wells.

This is as far as I've gotten so far. As I said, it got pretty dark and cloudy here, so I had to pack up and store the car in the garage. Hopefully will I will finish tomorrow.
            Schotography

Comment

And one last comment. I HATE CLEANING THESE WHEELS. The brake dust is abnormally excessive. And they made the wheels textured so all the dirt and dust gets stuck in there, it takes forever to clean, and they never get 100%
              Schotography

Comment

Looking good so far. Don't know if you clayed the car yet, but that would be a good step especially with white. Metal particles can embed in the paint and rust making the car look like it's rusting. Plus it makes the paint smooth as a babies rump. I took a ton of overspray and rail particulants off of my Neon when I bought it thinking the paint was awesome, now it's awesome with proper treatment (and more practicing with my G100)

Keep it up!

Aaron
                Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

gorgeous, I have had the same problem with photographing a white car.

the benefits do not show on light colors.
                  keep it up

-nick
                  Luck is probability taken personally!

Comment

Your work looks great. Even with the dark clouds rolling in, you can see some reflection on the car. Looking good. Hopefully when done it will be sunny, so we can see the finished product.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

That hood pictures is unbelievable! Great work

Comment

lol, my girlfriend has a white Honda Accord (hers is the previous generation, an '02 coupe).... and I feel you on the detail. It's a mission. Those factory honda wheels, hers are different, but have the same problem with dirt and brake dust getting caked on and a pain in the *** to get off. Looks great though man.
                        --2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
                          Looking good so far. Don't know if you clayed the car yet, but that would be a good step especially with white. Metal particles can embed in the paint and rust making the car look like it's rusting. Plus it makes the paint smooth as a babies rump. I took a ton of overspray and rail particulants off of my Neon when I bought it thinking the paint was awesome, now it's awesome with proper treatment (and more practicing with my G100)

Keep it up!

Aaron
                          But great job nonetheless!
                          SYDSTER

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');