• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help removing light scratches with a DA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help removing light scratches with a DA?

Hi,

I'm a little new to detailing...

My car has some light scratches that I'd like to try and fix. If I drag a fingernail across one, it feels slightly rough, but the nail doesn't catch. (I did use Scratch X, by hand, and saw a small improvement.)

The car has a clear coat, and is a grayish blue color.

I've searched around the forum and read a few threads, so here's what I'm thinking so far:

- Get a Porter Cable 7424 or similar, and some 8006 and 9006 pads.

- Try some Scratch X on the 9006 pad. If that's not enough...

- Try Meguiars #80 on an 9006 or 8006 pad, and follow up with Scratch X on the 9006 pad (necessary?).

Finish with a good wax.

Does that sound reasonable? I haven't bought anything yet, so other equipment suggestions, as well as a place to buy, are welcome. Thanks for any advice!

Re: Help removing light scratches with a DA?

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

What you've outlined for a process is exactly what Meguiar's teaches and that's

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

That said, the finishing pad is so gentle that when used on most clear coat paints it's not going to be aggressive enough to make a dent in the scratches.

If you want to follow the "use the least aggressive product" philosophy then you can try using the finishing pad with the ScratchX but chances are you're going to want to start with ScratchX with our W-8006 polishing pad and even that is a very light or non-aggressive approach.

ScratchX is close to the cleaning or abrading ability of our M82 Swirl Free Polish and this product, (M82), is usually to gentle to go after most swirls and scratches inmost clear coats, this is why most people start with the M80 and when that's not aggressive enough they go to the M83.

Hope that's not too confusing... it has to do with the hardness or workability of clear coats and the safety features of the DA polisher in that it's not an aggressive tool and thus not an aggressive approach to removing swirls and scratches, that's why it's popular, it's safe.

If you don't have a DA Polisher yet you should consider our new G110, it has more power than the Porter Cable unit and the UDM, we have personally been using DA polishers to detail cars as long as anybody and we can tell you first hand that more power is gong to mean you can work faster and more efficiently and when you go out into your garage this is going to become very important right away.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
      Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

What you've outlined for a process is exactly what Meguiar's teaches and that's

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

That said, the finishing pad is so gentle that when used on most clear coat paints it's not going to be aggressive enough to make a dent in the scratches.

If you want to follow the "use the least aggressive product" philosophy then you can try using the finishing pad with the ScratchX but chances are you're going to want to start with ScratchX with our W-8006 polishing pad and even that is a very light or non-aggressive approach.

ScratchX is close to the cleaning or abrading ability of our M82 Swirl Free Polish and this product, (M82), is usually to gentle to go after most swirls and scratches inmost clear coats, this is why most people start with the M80 and when that's not aggressive enough they go to the M83.

Hope that's not too confusing... it has to do with the hardness or workability of clear coats and the safety features of the DA polisher in that it's not an aggressive tool and thus not an aggressive approach to removing swirls and scratches, that's why it's popular, it's safe.

If you don't have a DA Polisher yet you should consider our new G110, it has more power than the Porter Cable unit and the UDM, we have personally been using DA polishers to detail cars as long as anybody and we can tell you first hand that more power is gong to mean you can work faster and more efficiently and when you go out into your garage this is going to become very important right away.
      Mike said it the best as always.

Andrew
      2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

Comment

not meant to thread jack here...but is this right according from least to more agressive...

scratch x, #9, #82, #80, #83?

I am confuse with scratch x, #9 and #82....
        even tho 3 of these are the least abrasives, which one of these 3 can tackle more scratch/swirls

Comment

Thank you, Mike. The car is a new Dodge, if that matters. I'm a little nervous about trying this...

In terms of the pads, what kind of prep is needed? Do I just put the glaze directly on the pad, and then spread it on the car before turning on the DA?

If I do have to go to 83, should I then follow it with the 80, and perhaps Scratch X to remove any fine scratches from the polish activity?

Comment

IMHO, If you are going to use a PC, I'd suggest the only products you will need are #80 and #83. I always use #80 to finish up after after using #83 if I need to use that more aggressive polish. #80 finishes up perfectly, ready for your LSP. #80 does remove fine marring and breaks down quickly so it is one of my favorite polishes.

There are several very good videos showing the polishing process. I'd strongly urge you to do a search for them on youtube.
            Jim
            My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by driver7 View Post
              Thank you, Mike. The car is a new Dodge, if that matters. I'm a little nervous about trying this...

In terms of the pads, what kind of prep is needed? Do I just put the glaze directly on the pad, and then spread it on the car before turning on the DA?

If I do have to go to 83, should I then follow it with the 80, and perhaps Scratch X to remove any fine scratches from the polish activity?
              You are definately on the right track. You may or may not have to follow up 83 with 80 usually only if there is micro-marring left after doing the 83.

Here is some excellent reading material.
              http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...&threadid=2965

By the way does anyone know how to get the blue bold links to show up instead of just the url.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');