• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The good, the bad, the eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good, the bad, the eBay

Well, those that know me know that I love eBay. I buy stuff there all the time with a lot of success - until today.

Lately, I've been buying expensive watches (Rolex) and selling them at a forum for a profit.

So I recieved a watch that was supposed to come in today. Boy was I in for a shock...

First of all, the bracelet and case have plenty of scratches. The seller said there were no scratches on the bracelet.

Second, the clasp has been altered. The dive extension should not come unattached that easy.

Third, the bezel is broken. It does not click and turns both directions.

I talked to the seller before I bought it and he described the watch as being 'in perfect condition.' This watch is far from perfect and needs about $1000 worth of work.

So I'm trying to get him to allow me to return the watch. If not, I'm out $3800.

Anyone else have any really bad eBay experiences?
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Re: The good, the bad, the eBay

We've had really good experiences on eBay, our PayPal account has been hacked in the past and while we didn't lose any money it was a real eye opener.

Here's how to protect yourself.

Open a dedicated bank account for PayPal. DO NOT have Overdraft Protection for the account and DO NOT have any secondary bank accounts or Debit or Credit Cards attached to this account that will fund the first account should the first account be short on funds.

Keep one dollar in the account. When you want to purchase something, after the purchase deposit the amount needed for the transaction into the account and process the transaction.

Dealing with the PayPal is difficult and you're just another 'number' when problems arise. There's little to nothing the Police can do. If you want to see how much of a problem this is, go to Google and type in the words,

PayPal Hacked

Nuff said.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

That ***** Chris! I don't know what you could do. I would think if they said there where no scratches and there is, that it was their intention to rip someone off. Hope it works out for you.

So far all 9 of my eBay experiences have been good. I bought some clear corners for my Liberty that didn't fit and the company took them back no problems and refunded me all of my money including shipping.

Thanks for the info Mike. I just closed the bank account that I used for my paypal last week and was thinking if I should attached it to my main account. Guess I'll not do that.
      Scott

Comment

Thanks Mike and Scott.

The seller won't answer his phone, but I have his address (92627 zip).

I also filed a PayPal complaint, so we'll see what happens.

Here's the link to the ad:
        FS: Rolex Submariner sub 16613 18k two tone gold / ss blue dial ss watch PRICE DROP
        Chris

Comment

One thing is make sure to save a screen shot of the ad. Just in case you need it. If you go back to get it later they may have changed it. Also save any emails that went back and forth.

Another far off option is to contact his local police department. I doubt they would be able to do anything but if your not the only one complaining that he is ripping off they might. If he doesn't respond you might as well try it.
          Scott

Comment

Chris, sorry to hear about the watch. I would pursue it with the local authorities.
            Thanks for the tips Mike.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
              Thanks Mike and Scott.

The seller won't answer his phone, but I have his address (92627 zip).

I also filed a PayPal complaint, so we'll see what happens.

Here's the link to the ad:
              http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...03#msg_3405702
              Filing a complaint won't necessarily do anything. I bought an item from someone using PayPal, they never sent it, wouldn't ever answer the phone, didn't answer the complaint, so PayPal told me there's nothing else that can be done because they had no money in the account. I have the guys home address (through searching around on the web), but haven't ever decided to sent him anything. This was last July, and he denied my request for the money back on December 24.

Comment

Here's an interesting article about another way for people to make your life miserable on ebay:

Online sales and auction management. Vendio provides Smart Services to Smart Sellers (TM). Vendio enables businesses of all size to leverage the distribution potential of the Internet. Through its suite of sales management services and full-service asset remarketing solutions, Vendio helps businesses efficiently promote, sell, and distribute their products online by automating and managing every element of the online sales process. Services offered include inventory management, online store creation, merchandise placement on both fixed price and auction marketplaces, customer relationship management, and order fulfillment.

Comment

I notice that the ad said it would ship "air mail". If it went through the USPS, they really frown on fraud and could put on a lot more heat than anyone else.

Mort (who wonders where the watch in the picture went)

Comment

That really ***** Chris. I've been a eBay member since 2000 and luckily haven't had any problems. The only problem I have with eBay is the folks that don't give feedback after an auction. I've been dealing with PayPal for about six years or so. Luckily I haven't had any problems there either. I can say proudly my seller/buyer feedback is 100% and I strive to keep it that way. I hate it when people screw others over on eBay. Hope it works out for you Chris!
                    2016 Focus ST

Comment

Update:

Reasons why you should never make a purchase from a seller when the high bidder backed out...

Paypal backed out saying there wasn't anything they could do because the sale was made outside of eBay.

Here's the actual eBay link:

The thing that kills me is the rating of the watch. On the Timezone forum, he gave the watch a 97% rating which means:

"Near Mint

Showing very light signs of wear. Faint scratches on the case, bezel, bracelet or buckle are visible to the naked eye. Completely original in every way. Strap shows light use - may be bent or lightly creased, but not stained. Bracelet may be resized. The watch is working perfectly, keeping very good time and needs nothing. 93-97%"

He states it's 97% when it would, on a GOOD day, be an 80%

Just to add, the seller stiffed me $60 for shipping and shipped it Fedex 2nd day WITHOUT insurance. I paid a chunk and didn't get it.

Thanks for the support, everyone. I really appreciate it!
                      Chris

Comment

Here's what a "97%" watch looks like:

Plenty of scratches on the band and the crystal.

I honestly wouldn't mind opening up a site.

This situation seems so stupid and that's what frustrates me. All I want is my money back. I'll cover the PayPal fees ($300!) and shipping both ways ($100).

Maybe somebody in Costa Mesa, CA could knock on his door... just kidding...
                        Chris

Comment

Tomorrow, I'm having a shop open it up. I'm hoping they'll find something wrong on tell me the movement is fake, so I'll have a really good reason to send it back.
                          Chris

Comment

Hope you can get your money back. I've ordered small priced items from E-bay and have had no problems. I got my Mugen Neck Pillows, Mugen shoulder straps and some Mugen stickers off e-bay. The only problem I had was from a guy in Japan that just kept sending stickers I had not ordered. That was a communication nightmare! but I got hiim to realize that I did not need any more stickers! LOL!

Cat :x

Comment

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
                              So I'm trying to get him to allow me to return the watch. If not, I'm out $3800.

Sorry to hear about that ..!!!!
                              If someone sold me that watch, I'd spend another $3800 on a road trip and convince him to reinburst the money, I can be quite convincing....
                              Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
                              ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
                              (269)650-2242

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');