• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rusty brake rotors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty brake rotors?

Ever notice how after you finish detailing your car your rotors are all rusty from washing? It has always peaved me a little, especially when I want to take some "after" pictures or park my summer car for the winter. Well, as simple as it is I never thought to just drive the car for a couple hundred feet after I'm done drying it while riding the brakes a tad. That simple thought finally made it's way into my head last spring. My car has been sitting in the garage for about 3 months now and no rust on the rotors! Like I said, this is a simple, stupid little thing but I can't take looking at my car when I'm done buffing only to see those eye sore rusty rotors!
    Jason

Re: Rusty brake rotors?

Originally posted by jmakado View Post
    Ever notice how after you finish detailing your car your rotors are all rusty from washing? It has always peaved me a little, especially when I want to take some "after" pictures or park my summer car for the winter. Well, as simple as it is I never thought to just drive the car for a couple hundred feet after I'm done drying it while riding the brakes a tad. That simple thought finally made it's way into my head last spring. My car has been sitting in the garage for about 3 months now and no rust on the rotors! Like I said, this is a simple, stupid little thing but I can't take looking at my car when I'm done buffing only to see those eye sore rusty rotors!
    it is very simple and i have been doing this.Did you notice how many SUPER showed car on here have rusty rotors just after a full wash, wax.These rotors rust minutes after receiving water.
    Driving the car after a wash also removes inaccessible water from joints.

Comment

When you purchase new rotors there is a protective film on them to prevent "flash rust", which is what you are expierencing.

Flash rust occurs when moisture is present on unprotected metal, especially steel.

I always have this problem, and it is something you will have to live with.

You could always drive the car up and down the driveway while riding the brakes to remove the rust.

Comment

I think if you re-read my post you will see that's exactly what I'm saying.

And that protective film is usually Zinc.
        Jason

Comment

Originally posted by jmakado View Post
          I think if you re-read my post you will see that's exactly what I'm saying.

And that protective film is usually Zinc.
          The ones i buy new are cover with sticky grease and and wrapped in oily paper.On Monday i will ask my usual parts shop to show me the zinc protected rotors.

Comment

Yeah it can be asthetically unpleasant, can even cause pulsing brakes, and unfortunately OEM brakes aren't typically cadium or zinc coated which prevents this. But the good news is you can clean them up and prevent future rusty rotor syndrome, with a bit of work, by looking into going over them with Fast Etch from the Eastwood Co. which will remove the rust, and leave a protective zinc-phosphate coating. Here's what one guy did - Rusty Rotor Project Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks for sharing

Comment

You bet G Force. It should do the trick.

Comment

help how do i get rid of this rust? m

Thank You,
                  Mark Brown

Comment

Thats not flash rust on the rotors like we where talking about on this thread. It looks like the paint wore down and rusted. The only fix i can think of is taking off the wheel and repainting it with high-temp paint.
                    1988 Toyota Tercel 1.5l I4 - AKA the BEAST
                    1994 BMW 325CI
                    2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
                    SR Detailing

Comment

your going to have to take the rotor off, sand off the rust, and hit it with high temp primer and wheel paint.

g2 is a really good paint for this. its more like an epoxy but resists the weather pretty nicely.
                      2001 Granite Sentra Se - Brought back to a brilliant shine via meguiars. took 6+ hours of work. i'm currently loving its' shine.

Comment

Originally posted by markbrown.com View Post
                        help how do i get rid of this rust? m

thats where the brake pad doesnt make contact with the rotor, its completely normal. rotors normally are not detailed. if it bothers you get a new set of rotors. eventually it will do the same but will look good for awhile

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');