• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove bugs from front of SUV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove bugs from front of SUV?

I have a clearcoat finish, so what and how do I use to get the bugs off?

Re: How do I remove bugs from front of SUV?

The below thread can be found in Hot Topics

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16053

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    This tip was given to me by a forum member who attended one of our Saturday Detailing classes, I can't remember his name but I think he's a friend of Buellwinkle?

If you have dried on bug splatter, typically on the front of your car where they impact, and you want to loosen and remove the splatter without having to scrub the area with force as so not to instill any scratches into your finish, what you need to do is to soften or re-liquefy the dried bug guts.

Here is the sugggestion...

Take a wash rag and saturate it with water or your car wash solution.

Place the wet wash rag on top of the dried bug splatter and allow it to sit for a few minutes. A variation of this would be to use warm/hot water.

To speed up the process, apply some gentle pressure while drinking a cold soft drink and if need be, hum or whistle a little diddy.

Another variation of this would be to apply some Meguiar's Bug and Tar Remover to the wet wash rag before applying it to the dried bug splatter.

After a few minutes have passed give the area a gentle wipe-off and the bug splatter should remove easily. Then either wash the car as normal or wipe the area down with a quick detailer.

A variation of the above but for a larger area would be to use a larger cloth such as a bath towel. Saturate a clean, soft 100% cotton towel with water and place it over the affected area.

Allow the wet towel to sit for a short period of time and then remove the towel and wash as normal or wipe the area down with a quick detailer.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I found that if you pre-soak those areas with wash solution they come off. If they are old or particularly stuck on, then using a clay bar can help. I've found that hot water with the correct ratio of car wash works just fine. I used to dilute the car wash way too much.
      AeroCleanse, LLC
      Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

I am a big skeptic when it comes to "magic" sprays etc.

I broke down and bought some Gold Class Bug and Tar Remover. I sprayed some on as directed, used my handy cut up terry cloth and after following directions.....The bugs came off quite easily and little effort.

This was on a 2001 Ford Excursion that runs on ranches and country roads in our area. Covered in bugs.

Aaron
        Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

You guys are a life saver...I've got the SUV in the garage so not to bake the bugs into the paint. I just got back from a very long trip in the midwest and hit the bugs in Florida last night. Hope to try the suggestions out tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Comment

Follow the Meguiar's mantra.... start with the least aggressive method.
            AeroCleanse, LLC
            Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
            www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Just to note, the wet wash rag/towel suggestion is for baked on bugs and people who want to do everything they can to soften and loosen the bug guts so they don't have to "scrub" on the paint to prevent possible scratching.

Not everyone will want to get this AR

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

great tip i'll have to try it
                Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                  Just to note, the wet wash rag/towel suggestion is for baked on bugs and people who want to do everything they can to soften and loosen the bug guts so they don't have to "scrub" on the paint to prevent possible scratching.

Not everyone will want to get this AR

The bugs are gone! I placed a soapy terry cloth onto the bug areas and then washed with a microfiber mitt. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');