• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washing a truck vs a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing a truck vs a car

So does anyone have any videos or tips on washing a full size truck the right way. Every time i wash mine its like i can't beat the water spots. Mostly since i cant foam the whole truck and wash it in time before the soap dries, or after i wash a panel i have to rinse and then when i rinse the hood or tailgate the panel that was dry no haw water on it. I tried foaming section at a time but its not a laser gun so i get over spray everywhere. Today wasn't to bad, until i realized after the whole truck was washed and dried i forgot about my roof... Just looking to see how people have done their trucks, Im in Texas by the way so ambient air temp is always like 80 which doesn't help.
    'In Veritate Victoria'
    2007 F-150 - Texas Blue
    Houston - Tx

Re: Washing a truck vs a car

I keep the area wet with the clean water from the hose. You might consider a water softener..expensive for sure. If your not using the flood method, give that a try, which just means you let the water flow out of the hose without any nozzle or extra pressure.
    AeroCleanse, LLC
    Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
    www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Hey,

Oh...I know all about washing and drying a full size trucks and frustrating they can be when it is hot outside!

My best advice is to use: *Always wash in the shade on a cool vehicle*
      1. the 2 bucket method
      2. Use the correct ratio of soap ( I like #62 or Shampoo Plus)
      3. When rinsing, remove the sprayer and flood the paint with water. Or I use a fireman's nozzle (used to be called the Ultimate Nozzle IIRC)
      4. Use 2-3 Waffle Weave MF towels to dry the paint.

Here is my truck....

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I agree...

It sounds like you are using one of those foaming guns, and foaming down the whole vehicle before you start washing with the mitt.

Try foaming one large section at a time (roof, then hood and front fenders). Then wash, and rinse that section. If you need a quick disconnect and a brass shut off to do that... get them.

Keep the sections that you washed wet until you are done and have flood rinsed.

If you have hard water, consider a water softener, or in-line filter. At the very least, consider using a car wash shampoo with some built in water softeners. I believe NXT car wash has water softeners in the mix... not sure though.
        Boss_429

Comment

Originally posted by Boss_429 View Post
          I agree...

It sounds like you are using one of those foaming guns, and foaming down the whole vehicle before you start washing with the mitt.

Try foaming one large section at a time (roof, then hood and front fenders). Then wash, and rinse that section. If you need a quick disconnect and a brass shut off to do that... get them.

Keep the sections that you washed wet until you are done and have flood rinsed.

If you have hard water, consider a water softener, or in-line filter. At the very least, consider using a car wash shampoo with some built in water softeners. I believe NXT car wash has water softeners in the mix... not sure though.
          Sweet, ill try the NXT I have GC it foams good but if NXT has something to help thats great. What would the "recommended" ratio be for NXT? Off the top of my head i think i'm doing 4oz for 1 gal with GC in my fom gun. Might be to rich. I will run to Lowes and find some quick connects, I thought about using a y splitter and having to hoses but qc seems more efficient. Has anyone tried setting up like i misting hose around there truck to keep it wet? Just thinking of a way to keep the car ready untill i am. Preciate all the info, now i need to wash my truck again tomorrow to test out the tips.
          'In Veritate Victoria'
          2007 F-150 - Texas Blue
          Houston - Tx

Comment

I'm not sure what the ratio for a foam gun would be with NXT. You'll have to experiment. Start out on the light side. You might want to check with someone at Meguiar's to insure that NXT wash does have water softeners.

Make sure you pick up a brass shut off to put in the end of the hose. Attach the quick disconnect to the shut off, and the male fitting to your foam gun. You'll need to pick up an extra male fitting for your other spray nozzle to rinse the vehicle.

Even though I don't use the foam gun, I have a similar setup so I can shut off the water, remove the nozzle, and do my flood rinse by opening the shut off.

Lowes has all that stuff in the garden section with the spray nozzles.
            Boss_429

Comment

I prefer a plastic rather than a brass shut off, less chance of scratching the paint in case of a mishap with the end of the hose.
              AeroCleanse, LLC
              Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
              www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                .....Here is my truck....

Tim
                THAT! is a nice looking Ford!!!

When I wash my Yukon, I constantly spray it with water as you know you get one side done and the other side spots up. I found that it helps to take the sprayer off and run water w/o it and my spots are minimal, also quickly drying helps too.

Aaron
                Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I think everyone has some good tips here. My dad has a 2005 Ram 1500 Quad cab that I often wash and then am thankful I only have a car.

I would say you might even want to try doing one section at a time and then finishing that section and drying that, then moving onto a new section and being careful not to get water on a completed section. I tried this one day when working in the sun and it worked pretty well. Hope this help and have fun keepin' that truck clean.
                  "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

I would wash mine in the shade if I could, but the driveway (concrete pad) is right in the sun, so I always just make sure to spray the side facing the sun like once every couple of minutes.
                    When I am hand washing it with Gold Class, I do the roof, spray that off, hood and front fenders, spray it off, side not facing the sun, spray it off, side facing the sun, spray it off.
                    When I am ready to dry, I do the side facing the sun, windows FIRST, then the painted areas. Took me a couple washes to figure out how to deal with it when I first got the truck...

Comment

I've only got a little truck, but I have to spray it down with water usually several times when I'm washing it. I haven't found any other way to do it really.
                      Lydia's Mobile Detailing
                      Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
                      2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Lol well thanks for all the support. I thought about some off the wall ideas when i was at Home Depot, one was using to hoses, one to foam and rinse the other attached to one of those lawn sprinklers that go p and down, kind you played in as kids. In the end i just bought some quick connects, figured out if i get pretty close the foam doesn't spray everywhere. Just makes you get quicker in the end i guess.
                        'In Veritate Victoria'
                        2007 F-150 - Texas Blue
                        Houston - Tx

Comment

I bought two inline filters for $100 from here:

I got the double clear case with the Nominal 1 micron carbon block(removes chlorine) and the water softening cartridge. It wont leave a 100% spot free finish but the spots it does leave comes out with a damp WW. Before water spots would require QD at the least to remove.

It does cut down on our already awful water pressure but I have a pump that I can hook up. On a good day we have 20psi. I usually only use the filter for the final rinse down(no pump at all) but if Im going to be washing more than one vehicle in a day Ill hook the pump up and use the filters the entire time.

Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                          Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Thanks, just found what to ask for on my birthday later this month.
                            'In Veritate Victoria'
                            2007 F-150 - Texas Blue
                            Houston - Tx

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');