• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: PlastX Headlight Restoration (Step by w/ Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How To: PlastX Headlight Restoration (Step by w/ Pics)

wow! Awesome product! i tried it today and awesome results! I was going to do it on the family van, but my dad stopped me and told me he wanted proof before I did anything.... and i did prove it by doing it on some signal light...
    He said... "you can start with the car!"

Comment

Whats the advantage of applying it by hand?
      1988 Toyota Tercel 1.5l I4 - AKA the BEAST
      1994 BMW 325CI
      2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L
      SR Detailing

Comment

I apply plastX with my PC its quicker but eitehr way it works great.
        02 Ford F250 Super Duty
        International T444E 7.3L Diesel
        Not exactly stock...laundry list of mods.
        Straight Piped
        PHP FU chip

Comment

This was a great thread.
          Love how the headlight turned out

Comment

Originally posted by dietoremain View Post
            I apply plastX with my PC its quicker but eitehr way it works great.
            What size and type of pad do you use, and at what speed?
            Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

Bravo.....Good work....
              Joe's detailing (Since 2002)
              ''We begin where the car wash Ends.''
              (269)650-2242

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
                Good show.

I love PlastX.

Glad someone else smears it around with their hand. I use it on my cell phone or watch and small items as such and use my finger to work it in.

You don't need to let PlastX dry, Meguiars waxes are the only products that need to dry. When I did my headlights and taillights, I threw a coat of NXT on them.

Look good as new.

Aaron
                so would NXT wax be safe for all plastics and glasses which also protects the headlights longer?

Comment

Originally posted by radicalrev View Post
                  so would NXT wax be safe for all plastics and glasses which also protects the headlights longer?

pretty much any wax/sealant would reduce the risk of oxidation or other chemical weathering effects
                  AJ Auto Detail, LLC

Comment

Great write-up! Love this stuff. Just did it on my mom's Corolla and about to do it on the Supra. Thanks god my prelude has glass headlights

Results of my mom's:

Comment

Yours look great also. I bet your mom is happy.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Ahh, I see what you were doing haha.. try is on the least expensive car first! Haha, good test subject it turned out great! Now that you've done it successfully once, you can probably even tweak the methods, and improve every single time you do it!

I'm glad to see people driving safer at night

Comment

Originally posted by importsnrice View Post
                          Great write-up! Love this stuff. Just did it on my mom's Corolla and about to do it on the Supra. Thanks god my prelude has glass headlights

Results of my mom's:
                          is this using only plast x or, using the grit paper also?

Comment

where can i find grit paper 2500+ cuz i could only find 600

Comment

Just thought I'd mention this. IF you find that you are having to maintain the headlights a lot, a product like Rockblocker or LaminX works wonders. They are both 3M material and protect your headlights from debris and also UV. I've had it on my plastic Subaru Headlights since day one and only in the last few months has it started showing signs of wear and discoloration. I am going to try some M10 to see if I can bring the clarity back to the film, if not then try the M17. If that doesn't work I'll just peel the stuff off and put on a new set.

I maintain the LaminX I have on my car with Megs Vinyl Protectant and it's kept it from cracking and kept it looking good for 3+ years.

At about $50 or so for the headlight set it's a very small investment to help protect todays high dollar headlights. Best of all it's as easy as using Meguiar's Vinyl Protectant to maintain them!
                              2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
                              2005 Suzuki GSX-R1000
                              2007 Ducati Monster 695 Dark

############################
                              R-KIVE Studios :: Bringing Visions to Life

Comment

Originally posted by dragonle87 View Post
                                where can i find grit paper 2500+ cuz i could only find 600
                                You need to find a PBE store, the below can be found in our How To Articles forum...

How to locate Meguiar's Professional and Detailer products in your hometown

Originally posted by REVNU View Post
                                Just thought I'd mention this. IF you find that you are having to maintain the headlights a lot, a product like Rockblocker or LaminX works wonders. They are both 3M material and protect your headlights from debris and also UV.

I've had it on my plastic Subaru Headlights since day one and only in the last few months has it started showing signs of wear and discoloration. I am going to try some M10 to see if I can bring the clarity back to the film, if not then try the M17. If that doesn't work I'll just peel the stuff off and put on a new set.

I maintain the LaminX I have on my car with Megs Vinyl Protectant and it's kept it from cracking and kept it looking good for 3+ years.

At about $50 or so for the headlight set it's a very small investment to help protect todays high dollar headlights. Best of all it's as easy as using Meguiar's Vinyl Protectant to maintain them!
                                Great tip... maybe start a dedicated thread with some links to these products along with your testimony...

Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');