• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Pads should I get? 7424 Which Polish/glaze? Soft paint...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Pads should I get? 7424 Which Polish/glaze? Soft paint...

I have a 07 Civic and the paint/clear coat is really soft from what I hear/seems. I have a light to medium swirls. So what pads should I get? I have #83 and #9 from previous. But some say #83 might be too harsh for soft paint?

Using this with a PC 7424.

thanks!

EDIT: I just found out that they no longer carry LC, only Meguiars Pads now!!
    Last edited by lando; Dec 28, 2007, 10:23 AM.

Re: Which LC pads should I get? Soft paint...

This is what I have come up with the help of others,

-1 white (#9)
    -1 black (polish/glaze)
    -1 blue (final wax) or by hand?

Comment

Re: Which LC pads should I get? Which Polish/glaze? Soft paint...

As for paint hardness or softness, don't go by what you read on the Internet, go by what you learn when you work on the actual paint.

That means doing a Test Spot when you first start out to prevent making any mistakes and to avoid wasting your time.

If you're trying to remove swirls, that means you're trying to remove paint, so you don't want a finishing pad you want some type of cleaning/polishing pad, something equivalent to W-8006 foam pad.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        As for paint hardness or softness, don't go by what you read on the Internet, go by what you learn when you work on the actual paint.

That means doing a Test Spot when you first start out to prevent making any mistakes and to avoid wasting your time.

If you're trying to remove swirls, that means you're trying to remove paint, so you don't want a finishing pad you want some type of cleaning/polishing pad, something equivalent to W-8006 foam pad.
        Well, it does swirl easily from what I've seen personally. Car is black as well so it's not hard to miss :p

Edit: I guess they now carry the Meguiars foam pads now! I guess this will be a little easier, so which one do you recommend?

Comment

For using a cleaner/polish use the W-8006 Polishing Pad, if the paint is in fact soft you might want to go with ColorX and a W-9006 Finishing pad.

Testing is the key, do a Test Spot on the hood or deck-lid and inspect your results, make sure you can make one small are look good before tackling the entire car, this is especially important for black and other dark colored paints.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Which Pads should I get? 7424 Which Polish/glaze? Soft paint...

Oh ok. So,

-1 W-8006 Polishing Pad (#9)
            -1 W-9006 Finishing pad (ColorX) Could replace this with #80 instead?
            -What should I do for the Final Wax? Hand?

Comment

Re: Which Pads should I get? 7424 Which Polish/glaze? Soft paint...

Ok did some more searching,

How does this look? My trunk lid is the only really "bad" spot...

1. #83 on trunk lid only another W-8006 pad
              2. #9 with W-8006 pad
              3. #80, light coat, (maybe even ColorX?) Another W-8006 pad
              4. I might go with a Sealant like #20 or #21 with W-9006 pad or just Wax (NXT) by hand

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');