• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher

I work for a car dealership that has a TON of oaks/maple/pine trees surrounding the lot. This means lot of 'tree sap' on our new vehicles. They have, to date, never done any sort of maintenance' on ther removal of this tree sap, and let it bake in all summer. Now we are looking to remove the little/deep etchings into the clearcoat finish on our new vehicles. To date, we've been using 'isopropyl alcohol' and hand rubbing to remove the majority of the spots. But---there are those that have baked into the finish. Am looking at the G110 (and pads) to help solve this problem and remove those marks. Will this unit/pads/products do the job? ANY info will be of great assistance before I decide what to do or what to buy. I current am using an old Makita 9207SPC polisher (have to start 'somewhere'---with 'something').

soupboy54

Comment

Re: Tips & Techniques for using the G100/PC Dual Action Polisher

Hi Mike,
      I understand that for scratch/swirl removal, pad rotation is essential but how many rotation is normal or is required? For example, I use M80 with a PC speed 5 to remove some swirls and I mark the backing plate with a black dot and can see whether the pad is rotating or not. To remove paint, I also know that moderate pressure is also required. So when applied some pressure, the speed of rotation is slowed down. So, 1 complete rotation over a place before I move 1/2" is OK or not. Do I need faster speed and so, decrease some pressure? Please advise,

Next thing is when applying glazes and waxes/sealeants, is pad rotation still required? As we're moving the PC rapidly, sometimes the pad doesn't rotate and I also don't pay much attention to pad rotation when appling waxes. So, is it correct or do I still need to wait for a pad to rotate a full circle before moving?

Thanks

Comment

Re: Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher

Hi Brothers,
        Why No Replies? Please help.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by HK77 View Post
          Hi Brothers,
          Why No Replies? Please help.

Thanks
          You posted this on a Saturday and here in the United States this is our weekend and many of us take the weekend off work to spend time with our family and friends and non-work related activities. That was the case for myself.

Remember, "Discussion Forums" are not meant or intended to instantaneous, that's more of the job of a telephone. With forums you post your questions and as members have time they will do their best to post a reply, that maybe shortly after you make your post or in a day or two, that's the true nature of a discussion forum.

On this forum we try to answer questions promptly Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Time, but after that it's on a as we can get to it basis.

Thanks for understanding.

Hi Mike,
          I understand that for scratch/swirl removal, pad rotation is essential but how many rotation is normal or is required?
          Your making this too complicated.

Turn the polisher on and look to see if the pad is rotating, it should be rotating faster than "slowly" or "barely". If it's not then there can be a number of reasons for this which I think have already been outlined in this thread.

If you need more power then you probably need a rotary buffer and are expecting too much from a tool with a clutch.

Hi Mike,

Next thing is when applying glazes and waxes/sealants, is pad rotation still required? As we're moving the PC rapidly, sometimes the pad doesn't rotate and I also don't pay much attention to pad rotation when applying waxes. So, is it correct or do I still need to wait for a pad to rotate a full circle before moving?

Thanks
          No. Doesn't hurt if the pad is required but all you're trying to do is to spread out the product.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by soupboy54 View Post
            I work for a car dealership that has a TON of oaks/maple/pine trees surrounding the lot. This means lot of 'tree sap' on our new vehicles. They have, to date, never done any sort of maintenance' on ther removal of this tree sap, and let it bake in all summer. Now we are looking to remove the little/deep etchings into the clearcoat finish on our new vehicles. To date, we've been using 'isopropyl alcohol' and hand rubbing to remove the majority of the spots. But---there are those that have baked into the finish. Am looking at the G110 (and pads) to help solve this problem and remove those marks. Will this unit/pads/products do the job? ANY info will be of great assistance before I decide what to do or what to buy. I current am using an old Makita 9207SPC polisher (have to start 'somewhere'---with 'something').

soupboy54
            Sometimes it's better to start your own dedicated thread for a project you're working on versus tagging onto an established thread, just a tip...

I've created a thread for you and copied your post to it.

Will the G110 remove little/deep etchings into the clearcoat finish on new vehicles

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike:

I'm a new owner of a G110. What are the risks that I should be aware of in using this machine? In the above writeup you refer to the machine's "removing small particles of paint when the surface of the pad is moving over the surface of the paint." Doesn't paint removal ultimately create a problem? Also, can I use this machine on curves, or must I limit it to flat surfaces? Thanks.

Ashton

Comment

Originally posted by Ashton View Post
                Mike:

I'm a new owner of a G110. What are the risks that I should be aware of in using this machine? In the above writeup you refer to the machine's "removing small particles of paint when the surface of the pad is moving over the surface of the paint." Doesn't paint removal ultimately create a problem?
                You only want to remove paint if you want to remove below surface defects like swirls and scratches which is explained in detail in the below thread which can be found in our Hot Topics forum.

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

If you don't want to remove swirls and scratches and/or your car's paint is flawless and all you want to do is apply wax then it's best to stick with a soft finishing pad and a finishing wax. By doing this you won't remove any measurable amount of paint.

The only other way to make swirls and scratches go away without abrading the paint on the car is to have new paint sprayed onto the car, (get a new paint job).

Does that make sense?

Originally posted by Ashton View Post
                Also, can I use this machine on curves, or must I limit it to flat surfaces? Thanks.

Ashton
                You can use it on curves but here's what happens when increased pressure is applied to just a portion of the pad surface is the clutch kicks in and the pad quits rotating which means less cleaning power at the surface level.

So "yes" you can use the DA polisher wherever the pad can make contact with paint, it's just removing swirls, and scratches from any panel that's not flat become more difficult.

If you're just trying to spread out a coat of wax over the paint then "yes" you can buff any paint that you can make contact with the face of your foam pad.

If you have specific questions about your detailing project then you might want to start a dedicated thread.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I'm new to this forum but reading and absorbing as much as I can. I realize that this thread is over 1 year old but you got me all interested with

"How to clean your pad will be addressed below sooner versus later, but not at the time of this posting. (Sorry, I'm behind a keyboard, not a video camera..."

and I believe it still hasn't been addressed. Unless I missed it, could someone describe in a few words how to clean the pads and how often?

Comment

Originally posted by MTL MX5 View Post

and I believe it still hasn't been addressed. Unless I missed it, could someone describe in a few words how to clean the pads and how often?
                    Oh no... it's been discussed for years....

Here's a thread on how to clean your pad on the fly while you're actually in the garage working on your car,

Cleaning Your Pad On The Fly

Meguiar's doesn't recommend washing our traditional pads with water or in a washing machine but a lot of our forum members have a variety of ways that work for them, check this thread out for more information.

How to clean Meguiar's foam buffing pads

And to address the problem of cleaning pads Meguiar's has introduced washable pads, click on the pictures to learn more about each pad.

Washable 7" Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Pads

Hope that helps...

p.s.

Since this is your first post to our forum... welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I think I can 'tag onto' this thread as I feel it to be as on-topic as one can get. I've been in the chair now for several hours. Soaking up a lot of info (time will tell how much I actually manage to retain the first time around).

But I digress to the point. One of the things I'm been looking for is a good how-to video covering the use of the G110. In fact, I could've sworn I actually came across a link for an 'instructional dvd' on this same machine. Exactly what I was looking for. Why I didn't follow it then and there is beyond me. I'll be darned if I can locate it now!

At any rate, if someone knows what I'm referring to, I'd surely appreciate them pointing me in the right direction. Who knows, maybe it wasn't part of the forum at all, but rather the main Meguiar's site.

tnx!

Comment

Originally posted by Charcot View Post

But I digress to the point. One of the things I'm been looking for is a good how-to video covering the use of the G110. In fact, I could've sworn I actually came across a link for an 'instructional dvd' on this same machine. Exactly what I was looking for. Why I didn't follow it then and there is beyond me. I'll be darned if I can locate it now!
                        This is what you want: Mike Phillip's on How to Use the PC.

It's worth every penny! Enjoy!
                        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

Yup. I'm thinking that was it. It's all over now but the waiting .

tnx

Comment

Hi, is this DVD available in region 2?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by woblynne View Post
                              Hi, is this DVD available in region 2?
                              In the UK it can be purchased from Elite Car Care.
                              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                              --Al Kimel

Comment

been reading all these threads of a DA.. just can't wait to get my g220 soon.......
                                too much theory is useless unless i practice it
                                Ganesa,
                                Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');