• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Auto Detailing Business At The Next Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Auto Detailing Business At The Next Level

Wow...am I the only one blown away at how fast 2007 seemed to fly by? I remember my Mom telling me that life gets faster the older you get...man no lie and when you own a business it's on steroids!

As a pro detailer, how did 2007 treat you or I should ask how did you treat 2007? Would love to hear feed back on how well others did or if some faced challenges and struggled a tad?

What will you be doing different in 2008? Are you stepping up your business to the next level in 08 or ?

Happy detailing all...and Merry Christmas!
    Renny Doyle
    Attention To Details
    "Detailers of Air Force One"
    www.detailingsuccess.com

Re: The Auto Detailing Business At The Next Level

Ren, I will remember 2007 as the year we hit a brick wall. Early this year business was SMOKING HOT. About May or so POW almost dead stop.

We almost completely lost our realestate industry related clients. Other clients I have had regular for years spaced out their detailing a bit.

I had to adapt quickly. Long story short I had to move a bit out of my comfort zone. We now service a larger area.

Superior Shine is leaner and meaner now. We had a lower gross this year but I actually put more $$$$$$ in my pocket than last year.

I watched as other mobile detailers in my area went out of business.

We have some very exciting things planned for 2008. Some things we have already talked privately about and are already taking off.

TO THE MOON AND BEYOND!
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I hope to get my business off the ground this year. I plan to start by appointment only for co-workers and others and build a client base. I am still working on my business plan and have set a goal for the end of January to have all the legal and insurance completed.

Comment

Iam looking to get a van by end of feb -mar...i have everything to put in the van, iam just tired of using my pick up truck and loading and unloading everyday....I just might need some help as far as mounting everything in the van, so anyone with a mobile van setup..i might need some suggestions.....
        RZ AutoDetailing

My Gallery

Comment

Joe I think you will be stronger in 08 then ever before if you keep with you current actions!

KNJ and RZ Autodetailing...I wish you both the best! The start-up is an exciting time. Detailing as a hubby is one thing but making that transition to the Pro level brings on many new challenges!

As Joe noted, the make-up of our clients has changed this year. Real Estate Professionals, Builders, contractors and banking/mortgage professionals are not doing so hot. As this level of client has fallen, others have taken off! It's our jobs to go find who has the money and convenience them we are worthy of the investment!

Any one else have comments on 2007 and how it went or what they see or plan to do in 2008!
          Renny Doyle
          Attention To Details
          "Detailers of Air Force One"
          www.detailingsuccess.com

Comment

I had a decent year. I actually went full time with my other job (Anytime Fitness), so my detailing business hasn't gotten much attention lately, but I'm hoping in '08 to do more detailing on Saturdays and maybe some week nights. I actually had quite a bit of business in '07 just from referrals; I don't even have any business cards or flyers. Hopefully in '08 I will get some business cards and perhaps some flyers, and actually start looking for business seriously. I have all the supplies I need, and while some more equipment would be handy, I can definately get by with what I have. I just need to start doing more to get business. I would say there is definately enough people around that would want the level of detailing I want to provide, I just need to get my name out there.
            Lydia's Mobile Detailing
            Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
            2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Well I don't live in the US but I do live in America, the Caribbean to be exact, we get a lot of influence from the USA.

I've seen lately that US market is not the same, now it's a bit more conservative and the US economy it's not at it's best so could this be why at the beginning of the year you had a lot of work but mid year it started falling?

Just curiosity guys.

Comment

Yes, that's the reason yalerd. The Real Estate market particularly is not doing well, hence the drop in real estate clients.
                Lydia's Mobile Detailing
                Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
                2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

I plan on launching my dream, mobile detailing biz in 08...and dedicate it to my Dad ( rip )

All of my late Dad's comments and overseeing me wash and detail his Grand Marquis while he sat in the garage and watched and neighbors came over to visit. I miss him so and even now as I am detailing, I feel his presence..

Already have a list of friends waiting for me to start, planning on a $ 50 neighborhood special, since wont have to barely move the truck...also for lets not forget the military ( planning on offering 15% discount )....if any of you are around a base, see if you can get access ( lots of paperwork needed and clearances ) but would be well worth it.

I know with economy probably not the best times to start a business, but being moblie, overhead will be low, running out of home and since lost my Tucson in winter car accident, perfect time to replace with a new truck .

Best of luck to us all !

( sorry to babble a bit )
                  Last edited by WrightDetail; Jan 5, 2008, 06:24 AM. Reason: added
                  WrightDetail
                  The Wright Way
                  2007 Chevy HHR
                  2008 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 1500

Comment

I take back what I posted about our gross. We grossed more!!!!!
                    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
                      I take back what I posted about our gross. We grossed more!!!!!

Congrats on a good year Joe !!...here's to a better 2008
                      Bill Poirier
                      West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

there is no one on this forum that I would want to succeed more than you

you have it coming to you
                        (gotta teach you daughter to detail)
                        Luck is probability taken personally!

Comment

2007 was an awesome year for us! We've landed some very exciting clients, with some very nice collections! I never thought in a million years that we would be working on some of the cars that we have. I have to pinch myself sometimes We went from 1 person doing everything(myself) out of the bed of a truck, to hiring 2 full time employees. Buying a dedicated van for the business, and another truck.

Plans for 2008 are in the works. Right now, I am looking into a shop to lease. It's getting too tight in the garage at my house. Most all of our detailing is mobile, but I would like to have a dedicated space to take care of customers cars, storing equipment and keeping the van locked up at night(it's too tall for the garage at my house). Although I don't do much at my house, I think it would drum up a little more business, plus look quite a bit more professional having an actual shop.

I hope 2008 is a successful year for everyone!

Nick
                          2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
                          2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                          2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
                          2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

About the same for me but picked up more gov't units to do. $ is always there even if payed a month later. Paper work w/bids,purchase orders & requisitions are really no problem. Scheduling units gives me a lot of time flex for civilian clients, sometimes I'm detailing a PD unit @ midnight after the others are long gone. This year I'm just going to put out my cards/flyers & gift certs. as usual, but have been visiting car dlrs., body shops & other detail shops offering my services as a subcontractor. I've gotten work from body shops because insurance pays only $35 to clean the unit upon return to customer & only if the adjuster approves it. Good luck everyone.
                            Death Before Dishonor

Comment

2007 had a little different feel for me also. It was my 11th year in buisness and my second year of working alone with no employees. I definitly grossed more but worked very hard for it! I also decided that I wasn't going back to having employees again so I needed a new game plan for 2008.

The begining of 2008 I started Shine Supply, a new division of my detailing company, Stevens Detailing. Shine Supply is an exclusive dealer of Meguiar's products and I'm servicing some local body shops, dealerships and car washes. I also did a web-site so I can generate some sales via internet. I've already converted two major car washes in town (Ventura,Ca.) that were using Blue Coral products and I converted a BMW dealership over that was using 3D products. It's been so awesome to just share my passion and experience and make some money at the same time.
                              It's very easy to sell a product you have complete faith in and the experience to show these companies how to use the product. I have a very good angle that some other local distributors lack because they aren't detailers, just salesmen. So my main issue this year will be balancing the detailing and the product sales. My goal is to grow the sales to where I can cut my detailing to just "exterior only" jobs - anything from a clay n wax to color sand & buff. I love detailing so I will never get away from it! There's nothing like a #21 shine with some Hyper on the tires

Hope you all have a great year also. Keep those dreams alive!
                              Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');